IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo S80 T6 1999 bad start, bad idle after overhaul

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Re: Volvo S80 T6 1999 bad start, bad idle after overhaul

Post by bronco » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:40 am

Valve 2 and 3 are the same as far as directing fluid but the retention method is different , so maybe your switch would indicate the gear your shifter cable has selected but the valve body is doing something different

To clarify I mean even if the manual valve is not attached to the cable the electric switch will still indicate the cable moving the detents for each gear are there as long as that spring roller is bolted onto the valve body , the manual valve in the valve body could be free floating

Joost
Year and Model: 1996 460 1996 850
Has thanked: 0
Netherlands
Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:00 am

Hi Bronco, thanks again for thinking along!

You are right about the IMS, I am sure that the sensor is giving me the right value, as I can see it corresponding with the gear lever on the display. Also, I have no trouble codes from the transmission. I am confident that the manual valve is connected, but if there is somehow a difference in the earlier spring-style manual valve and the later clip-style valve, this could cause issues. However, they appeared to be the same to me, apart from the connection. What I found earlier, I posted, which gave me no indication that they are not interchangeable.

Also, if they are not interchangeable, I assume there are also differences in the IMS itself, and/or Channel Plate (cover that is the housing of the manual valve itself). I read nothing about that anywhere, so it still has me figuring...

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 am

there are different channel plate gaskets , or it could be something like a damaged plate gasket allowing pressure into a part of the valve body that is not supposed to see pressure

Joost
Netherlands
Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 am

I had all space and time to rebuild, so I'm not very concerned about gaskets not sitting right, although I understand there's always a slim chance. I ordered a complete rebuild kit, I can only assume the gasket was the right one, although there was one friction plate for the fourth gear mirror-imaged. So, I took one of the old friction that was still fine.

I still believe the manual valve may be an issue, but I would assume the different styles (spring vs clip) would then only work in conjuction with their relative channel plates and/or IMSes

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:27 am

did you get one sided frictions for fourth gear? My kit came with 2 sided frictions and I had to reuse the old frictions.
If you look at your pic of the three valves the body of the valve looks the same on 2 and 3 , and the 1st one looks like it wouldnt work with the inside switch

Joost
Netherlands
Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:59 am

The fourth clutch pack has 4 friction plates if I remember correctly, I had one that was mirror imaged, so the outside locking grooves were on the wrong side. But I don't believe this is related.

Yes, based on the image, valves 2 and 3 should work, as they look the same. They also looked the same as I held them side by side, except for the connection part. I had both, and mounted the spring version as it looked more sturdy to me, but the clip version came out. If this is the problem, I assume each valve can only work with their relative channel plate and/or IMS. The last one appears to be looking fine, but I read nothing about those parts not being interchangeable

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:24 pm

you mean you had a spring originally? but had extra parts and switched ? If you look at the pic you posted the rod that attaches to the manual valve looks different Sort of mirror imaged did you change that also?

Joost
Netherlands
Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Bronco,

That is correct, I had 2 transmissions. When mine broke down, I bought an S80 that was going to be scrapped, in order to use the transmission, However, the engine management had so many issues, that I could not properly test the trans. When I read of all the problems with the 4T65E, I decided to do a rebuild. There were some hard parts worn in mine, so I took some out of the other one, which had much lower mileage.

The manual valve in mine was the clip-style one, the donor gearbox had the spring-style manual valve. I installed the sping-style in my gearbox, as it looked more sturdy to me. You are right about the rod, it crossed my mind too. They look different indeed. If I find the original valve and clip and rod, I can compare if I indeed mounted the right combination. I wanted to order a manual valve link assembly, but apparently they are not offered.

Joost
Netherlands
Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 pm

I came across this thread too, which makes me a bit more optimistic, as it looks as if I don't have to pull the whole engine/trans again...

viewtopic.php?t=63865

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:18 pm

Joost wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 pm
I came across this thread too, which makes me a bit more optimistic, as it looks as if I don't have to pull the whole engine/trans again...

viewtopic.php?t=63865
That is the thread that inspired me to do the job in car!

There are other threads too :mrgreen: