Login Register

Red alarm light not working but alarm is fine

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

ZootAllures
Year and Model: 2004 S40

Red alarm light not working but alarm is fine

Post by ZootAllures »

Hello,

Awesome Volvo forum. Glad to have found it. I recently bought a 2004 S40 (before the mid year model change) and it's a great little ride. My factory alarm was working fine, as was the red indicator light on the dash, but all of a sudden the light isn't on any more. The only thing I've done that's related to the red light or electricity related is put in a new DieHard car battery. This also required my radio needing to be reset by entering a code. Therefore, I figured maybe that had something to do with the red alarm light also. Any ideas on how to fix this?

FYI the alarm works fine, as does the "panic button" on the key fob. Any insight or solutions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T

Post by alschnertz »

Where is the red alarm light that you're referencing?
The one near the right front speaker on my '01 only blinks in the dark.
And even then, it seems intermittent. I never paid much attention to it.

But honestly, I'm not really that concerned with someone messing with my 20 year old/250,000 mile S40.
'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

ZootAllures
Year and Model: 2004 S40

Post by ZootAllures »

Hello...sorry for the delay. I never go an alert so I thought no one replied! Busy with holiday work too. So yeah, mine is on the top right side of the dash by the speaker also. What puzzled me is that I stopped seeing the red light after replacing the battery, which had me resetting the stereo, so I wondered if it was related to disconnecting the battery juice. The Volvo dealership near me said those things never burn out, when I asked if it needed to be replaced. I replaced by climate knob lights successfully recently and was keen to do the alarm light if needed. The alarm works, as does the panic button on the fob, so I guess all is fine. I'd just like to see the red blinking light again. It's a nice deterrent.