MVS ex-Moderator vegasjetskier tells us — with diagrams from the owner’s manual — how to unlock a modern Volvo that has a dead battery.
Need to unlock your Volvo that has a dead battery?
This is what it says in the owner’s manual:
Locking or unlocking the vehicle with the key blade
The driver’s door on vehicles equipped with keyless drive can be locked or unlocked with the remote control’s detachable key blade if necessary. See page 115 for information on removing the key blade from the remote control. To access the keyhole in the driver’s door:
- Pry off the keyhole cover by inserting the key blade or a small screwdriver in the hole on the underside of the cover (indicated by the arrow in the inset illustration in the center column).
- Insert the key blade as far as possible in the driver’s door lock. Turn the key blade clockwise approximately one-quarter turn to unlock the driver’s door only. This will trigger the alarm.
To disable the alarm
- Press the Unlock button on the keyless drive remote control
The key blade can be used to lock or unlock the vehicle or glove compartment.
Removing the key blade
Slide the spring loaded catch (1) to the side and pull the key blade (2) out of the remote control.
Reinserting the key blade in the remote control
- Hold the remote control with the pointed end down.
- Carefully slide the key blade into its groove.
- Gently press the key blade in the groove until it clicks into place.
Unlocking the doors with the detached key blade
- Insert the key blade as far as possible in the driver’s door lock.
- Turn the key blade clockwise approximately one-quarter turn to unlock the driver’s door only.