Idles, then Dies – Turns Out it Was the Fuel Pump
So I got the 940 station wagon running good again. Both fuel pumps were toast. The one in the tank was probably toast some time ago and the one under the driver was doing all the work. I installed pumps from Autozone parts house. The one for the tanks looked exactly the same and fit like a glove. The one under the driver(high pressure)looked to be a universal application and fit with rubber sleeve to make it the right diameter for the clamp. Had to do a little wiring change as the OEM terminals would not hook up. Runs fine though.
Buy the Lifetime Warranty Fuel Pump
When you purchase electric fuel pimps you should purchase one with a limited lifetime warranty. When I drove an 84 VW Jetta, the fuel pump went out. I purchased one from Autozone and it worked for 14 months. The warranty was for 12 months. I bought the replacement one with a lifetime warranty from Carquest. The difference in price was about double. $69.99 compared to $138.99
Bonus! More on the Volvo 940
The Volvo 940/960 range was introduced in autumn 1990. The new 940 replaced the 740 which, however, remained in production as the basic 740 GL model. A 4-cylinder petrol engine or a 6-cylinder turbo-diesel powered the Volvo 940, which resembled the 960.
The Volvo 940 also launched a number of new safety features. Together with its luxury sibling the 960, a three-point inertia-reel seat belt was fitted as standard together with an adjustable head restraint in the middle of the rear seat, heralding a world breakthrough for these features. Furthermore, an integrated child seat built into the rear seat’s middle armrest could be specified as an option.
These and other safety developments gained the model many international accolades, not least among them the “Prince Michael Road Safety Award” and the “Autocar & Motor” prize for the best safety features.
Bonus! 10 Interesting Volvo Facts
- In Latin, the word Volvo means: I spin. Today however the nearest meaning is “I roll”.
- Volvo was founded in 1924. The two founders were Gustav Larsson and Assar Gabrielsson.
- The ÖV 4 is the first Volvo car. The first car was sell-ready in 1927. The 2-Liter, 4-cilinder car got the nickname: Jakob.
- Volvo’s very first commercial vehicle was the Type-1 truck. The release year was 1928. In the same year, Volvo released the second car, the Volvo PV 651. Volvo manufactured a total of 1383 of both vehicles in the first year; of which automaker exported 27.
- This trend saw a sharp rise in 1932 when Volvo released a good amount of 10,000 vehicles, both trucks and cars.
- The company, however, started making a large-scale profit from the year 1935. The first luxurious car by Volvo was the PV36, which could carry six passengers at a time. The design of this iconic car paved the path for future Volvo cars to come. I came in the market with a price tag of 8,500 Swedish kronor.
- Volvo touched a landmark in 1941, with the sale of its 50,000th vehicle; this is a unique achievement considering the time when WWII was in full swing.
The MVS Volvo Newsletter is a once-a-month email delivered to your email. It’s simple to unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind.