Volvo News & Repairs
Welcome to MVS, home of Volvo news, help and DIY fixes. Featured: Volvo Repair Database, the Volvo Forum, and a monthly Volvo News newsletter. Join the forum and ask your question.
S60 Broken Trunk Latch Repair The latch on my trunk recently started failing to latch. It turned my trunk into the ‘honour system’, so obviously I wanted to get that working again pronto! I managed to without needing to buy any new parts, here’s a few hints if you run into this same problem:Step 1: […]
Front/Rear Motor Mount Replacement – 2WD Turbo Models (mine was a 1998 S70 GLT)
- Remove radiator Fan. Remove 15mm/13mm top strut mount bolt/nut.
- Remove 15mm top front motor mount nut.
- Raise and support vehicle on jack stands.
- Remove passenger front tire and bend back splash shield.
- Support engine with a floor jack using a 2×4 across front of oil pan to distribute weight.
- Remove both 14mm bolts attaching right front motor mount to engine.
- Remove 14mm lower front motor mount bolt.
- Raise front of engine and remove old/install new motor mount. Lower engine onto new mount.
- Install but do not tighten 15mm nut and 14mm bolt on motor mount.
This is done by disconnecting the battery, waiting for 10 minutes or so, and/or turning the ignition key to the starter position to discharge the system. Note, the code “Erase” button on scanners does not reset the LTFT, at least not on my S70. Not reseting the fuel trims provides for a small chance that […]
A How-to on the Blower Motor (climate control) for P2 cars. Although the blower motor on the P2’s (V70/S80, etc. from ’01 forward) is basically in the same place as their 850 predecessor, removal and replacement is complicated by the fact that the glove box actually has to come out and the blower actually sits […]
S80 Harmonic Noises and Rubbing Tubes As you can see from pic the block was contacting almost dead center, where the natural harmonic is. The corrugation makes it vibrate like a guitar string. The tube and air box together act like a megaphone, amplifying the sound. S80 mysterious whirring noise solved
How to Tow a Volvo 740 The advice from Volvo on towing auto 740s is: They must not be towed more than 20 miles (30km) nor faster than 12mph (20km/h). If these conditions cannot be met, or if transmission damage has already occurred, the propellor shaft must be removed or the vehicle towed with its […]
Question: Is there ANY way I can fix a rear main seal leak without replacing the seal? Answer: My leak wasn’t nearly as bad as yours and seems to have stopped by switching to heavier viscosity oil (10W40) that also contains seal conditioning additives. Answer: Entire engine and tranny must be lowered from below and […]