Need to replace exhaust manifold on your Volvo? MVS Forums Contributor JimBee gets the ball rolling on advice for DIY’ers who are considering replacing exhaust manifold.
I’m looking at purchasing a new manifold due to a leaky flex joint and would like to tackle it myself but I’d like to know where I’m most likely to get stuck so I have a plan of attack.
The one time I’ve actually replace exhaust manifold from an 850 n/a I remember the two lower bolts of the heat collector. That was a donor car that I was stripping so there was no need for finessing. I think I finally just ripped it out. Memory of details is vague as that was 5 years ago.
1. Brand: I went with Volvo b/c aftermarket was a toss-up.
However, look into “OBX” brand etc.
This is not a job you want to do twice.
Another source is “Swedish auto lamps for less”:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-850-S70-V … 0459537938
2. The gaskets: use only Volvo gaskets, anything can leak and you will “hear” about it pronto!
3. The bolts @ the manifold, they usually come out without any issues.
4. The 4 bolts at the flex joint:
– Drive the car up some ramps for good clearance.
– Wear goggles!!!
– Spray with some WD-40 and let it sit for a good hour.
– A propane torch (the same stuff plumbers use) is a must, about $12 at hardware store.