S60 Volvo Car Audio Headunits, Speakers + Amps
You’re wondering how to upgrade your S60 audio system, and were wondering about S60 Speaker sizes, wiring, and all the other things you need to know. Well here’s a detailed DIY of everything to get you started.
The S60 speaker basics:
- 2 rear deck (‘Parcel shelf’) 7″ 8-ohm coaxial two-way speakers
- 2 rear door 6.5″ 4-ohm full-range speakers
- 2 front door 4-ohm component speakers with 6.5″ mid-woofer and 1.5″ tweeter with crossover
I spent a great deal of time researching stereo/audio upgrade options for my 2007 S60, but ran into missing, confusing and contradictory information everywhere I looked.
I have both a 2001 and a 2007 S60 with the basic HU-650 sound system. I also had an 2005 S40 I purchased new with the premium (Dolby Surround) sound system, so I am familiar with that, as well.
Rear Deck Speakers:
- The rear deck speakers are an oddball size.
- The deck opening is just over 6.5″ so 6.5 will NOT fit unless you rig up some sort of adaptor bracketry.
- The opening is larger and the integral mounting bracket holds the speaker above the deck by about 1″
- The rear deck speakers and the rear door speakers are wired in parallel! This is not standard and took a while to sort out.
- The 8-ohm read deck and 4-ohm rear door speaker is wired in parallel so the head-unit sees 2.67-ohm impedance on the rear channels.
- The parallel branching happens up front in the forward passenger compartment, sending individual wire-pairs to the speakers.
Don’t Miss the S60 Audio Sister Topic!
This new MVS forum is about everything to do with your Volvo + integrating electronics: ask questions, get answers, drop tips. How to integrate your iPod or iPhone into your Volvo’s audio system… what impedance speakers to buy to replace old ones? Ask here. This is where we talk watts, ohms, GPS, iPod integration, component installation, tips, tricks and advice for making your Volvo’s audio, video and mapping work better than ever.
It’s the MVS members who drive ideas and progress around here. Like I’ve said many times, without you guys, it’d just be me sitting around talking about my 850 with myself.