State of the Site 2011
This is the first State of the SiteI’ve done, but it’s something I’ll do every year near the end of the year to give you an idea of where MVS is going, and what’s going on now. This one’s a little early, but hey there’s a first time for everything.
Your donations have kept MVS on the air. As have your use of the affiliate links that generate revenue like Amazon, TireRack, and Carchex. Sponsors IPD, MyVolvoPartsOnline and VolvoWholesaleParts continue to be the lifeblood of MVS. Thank you sponsors. Thanks to my local shop Volvo Specialists and Volvo Mechanics for buying ad space.
Without further chitchat, here’s what’s going on:
- we marked our 10 year anniversary in September 2011!
- we passed 200k posts and 30k registered users in the Volvo Forum
- new Help a Neighbor service is active
- we wrote a hundred thousand or so Volvo Forum posts in 2011
- use MVS Amazon link this holiday season, it helps MVS help you by offering more
- Volvo term & abbreviation glossary to be integrated with a 1995 Volvo 850 technical term glossary
- upcoming update of the free, wonderful forum software we use here on our Volvo Forums
- spam prevention efforts ongoing — comment spam in the Volvo forums must die
- unpublished* backlog of Volvo Repair Database items — 24 to be exact — I’m working through
- server efficiency and uptime efforts ongoing w/ server admin Mario
- working on (with) Amazon Web Services to take load off server
- mega failed parts survey for Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volvos coming (see current Gen 1 and Gen 2)
- reminder to use MVS photo tools I published a few days ago
- fix zero-comment VRD entries (like this) so that you can comment on them
- what have I forgotten that you’ve sent me to post? Yell at me here.
So that’s where we are. I’m working on one or another of these things whenever I’m working on MVS. I’m paying especially close attention recently to preventing forum spam and preventing spam accounts because it’s a huge drain on MVS Moderators’ time, and I want them to help owners, not delete spam. Spam is my job.
From a development standpoint, I’ve committed to a “get it out the door” philosophy of gradual MVS upgrades and features rather than mega releases. Not that there’s been many mega releases, but that’s the idea. Small chunks.
I’m looking forward to 2012, with more Volvos fixed and on the road, upgraded, or both.
Thanks for being part of the #1 Volvo Help site.
Welcome to Matthews Volvo Site! Your one stop shop for all Volvo news, help and DIY fixes. We feature the Volvo Repair Database, the best Volvo Forum, and an awesome monthly Volvo newsletter. Joining is always free!
The MVS Volvo Newsletter is a once-a-month email delivered to your email. It’s simple to unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind.