Did you hear … We’re on New Hardware!
Hola amigos. Here’s what’s going on at MVS.
MVS is on a Fast New Server
For a month I’ve been preparing for a migration to a new host. I completed this work early yesterday morning, and it felt good. While at it, it was a good time to do a whole host (no pun intended heh) of other changes. So here’s the list of new things:
- New hardware
- 16GB ram, 16 virtual CPU cores (monster)
- New software
- This site now runs on the latest stable Linux Debian operating system
- I updated phpBB (forum) and all its dependencies and add-ons to current versions
- MVS now runs on PHP version 7 (sometimes 2x as fast as PHP 5)
- New forum theme… in for a penny, in for a pound, eh? I could go on about this, but I don’t want you to fall asleep in your chair at work.
- Mobile users get a nifty new navigation menu in the forum, which I’ll port over to the Home/VRD side
The June MVS Newsletter comes out tomorrow, chock full of Volvo news and some MVS-specific goodies. If you’re signed up for the newsletter, you’ll see it in your inbox tomorrow… if not, I’ll publish it as a post here on the site on Thursday.
I’ve got a half-dozen Volvo Repair Database entries waiting on me to write them, like unscented AC cleaning methods, stories of near-limb loss while using Volvo jacks, and best ways to clean the engine compartment. I’ll begin this work this afternoon.
The server switch is actually a net positive on the monthly cost, so I’m planning on spending the difference on an email sending service to ensure everybody’s getting mail from MVS server.
That’s it! Thanks for being a Contributor, member or simply a user. If you’re not a member, register. It’s free, easy and fast, and there are several benefits to MVS membership, like getting email notifications when somebody posts to a topic you’re watching. And of course, you can post topics and ask questions as a member.
The MVS Volvo Newsletter is a once-a-month email delivered to your email. It’s simple to unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind.