IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Tips and Hints for XeMODeX ETM Installation

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
ChrisatXeMODeX
Year and Model: 2013 S60 AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
ChrisatXeMODeX

Tips and Hints for XeMODeX ETM Installation

Post by ChrisatXeMODeX » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 am

It’s has been over a year since we have introduced the Non - Contacting ETM upgrade. The purpose of this post is to make all of you “Due It Yourselfers” aware of the potential issues and problems that others like you have come across during their own ETM installation. We hope you find this information helpful.

1. ETM Installed backwards- Yes, it is possible to install the unit with a label facing the engine.

Symptoms: Rough idle, engine will not rev up past 2500 RPM.

Corrective action: ETM must be installed with the label facing the radiator.

2. The old ETM gasket not removed and left stuck to the intake manifold.

Symptoms: Irregular idle, misfire on acceleration. Possible MAF and ETM related DTC stored.

Corrective action: Our units are shipped with a new gasket; ensure that the old gasket is removed.

3. Disturbance to the Turbo Pressure Sensor (One of the two or three sensors located on the intake pipe).

Symptoms: (as described by one of the customers): A- When applying full throttle, around 3800 to 5000 RPMS the engine gains RPMS with difficulty and runs rough and never gets to 6000 RPM that is were the automatic transmission changes to the next gear, it just reaches slightly above 5000 RPM, the engine is definitely not giving full power and this is very noticeable in the higher end.
B- Several times during this period the engine does not start when hot or is difficult to start, it will idle for a few seconds and then stop, many times if you do not immediately accelerate after starting the engine it will stop and will not start again for about 15 to 20 minutes of "rest" time. This problem does not happen when the engine is cold.
When this happens the engine does not respond to the throttle pedal.
After it cools it will start normal again. Most of the time the engine starts OK but makes a "cough" after starting, this is less noticeable if you immediately accelerate but still does it.
C- When applying full throttle in "P" the engine reaches the 4000 RPM (were it normally cuts off) with no difficulty and no problems at all, but this is with no load to the engine.
D- The engine idles between 650 and 800 RPM in "D" and brake applied, this variation happens with the A/C

Other symptoms include ETM internal failure codes and MAF and Turbo Sensor codes. It is also common for the Turbo Pressure Sensor to fail soon after the ETM installation, giving you a false sense that the ETM
is defective.

Corrective actions: Turbo Pressure Sensor is very sensitive. When removing the air intake pipe from the ETM due not disconnect any sensors. Instead leave them connected and swing the pipe out of the way to
gain access to the ETM mounting bolts. When you experience the above, replace the Turbo Pressure Sensor.

4. Air intake pipe not installed correctly around the ETM. (Looks good from the front, but the rear of it is not inserted back all the way).

Symptoms: Irregular idle, misfire on acceleration. Possible MAF and ETM related DTC are stored. Sometimes will not accelerate at all and backfire.

Corrective action: When re-installing the air intake pipe, use your fingers to “feel” that the pipe’s plastic collar is above the clamp and that it is inserted all the way around the ETM.

Tips and hints:

We strongly recommend that you consult a professional mechanic prior to sending your ETM to us for rebuild. Many ETM like failure symptoms could “fool” you it to believing that the ETM at fault.

After installing our ETM back on your vehicle upon turning the ignition key on you should hear a loud, audible “click” from the ETM. This is an indication that the ETM is engaged and the power and ground supply
are present. If you don’t hear it click then you have a problem with the power or ground supply to the ETM. This is somewhat common on the 99-00 Volvo S80. Note that some ETM’S “click” louder than others, it’s
always a good idea to have someone else turn the ignition on for you while you listen for it.

Black smoke together with a rough idle are not caused by failed or failing ETM. These conditions are most likely to do with failing O2 sensors, MAF or high fuel pressure.

ChrisatXeMODeX
ChrisatXeMODeX

Re: Tips and Hints for XeMODeX ETM Installation

Post by ChrisatXeMODeX » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

More Tips;

1999-2000 Volvo C/S/V/XC70

ETS light is on, car goes to “Limp – home” mode and the following codes are stored all at once;

P-1017
P-1019
P-1020
P-1021
P-1043
P-1052

Then you restart the engine all codes “disappear” and the ETS light goes off. Car runs great like nothing ever happened then after a few days its back again.

Replace the “Engine Management” relay located in the smaller auxiliary fuse box located by the left strut tower. Part of this relay’s job is to supply power to the ETM, when it malfunctions it reduces current that is crucial for proper ETM operation. Throttle goes off the CAN Network and the ECM stores the above codes. Once the relay cools down proper current is restored and codes are no longer present.

This is the third time we have come across this problem.

big bill
Year and Model: 01 V70 T5
big bill

Post by big bill » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:18 pm

2001 V70 Turbo: I just replaced the ETM with a Xemodex. The pipe that connects to the ETM, I guess is the "air intake pipe" had gooey, oily substance in it. Is this normal ? If not, where could it be leaking in from ?

dbm123
Year and Model: 1999 V70 GLT
dbm123

Post by dbm123 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 am

Is there an installation video or step by step for installing the XeMODeX?

Current Volvos:
2004 C70 HPT (wife)
2002 S40 1.9T (daughter)
2001 V70 XC (daughter)
1999 V70 GLT (now dead)
1998 V70 GLT (son)
The other car: 2003 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible (mine)

Donzilla
Year and Model: XC70 1999
Donzilla

Post by Donzilla » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am

Just wanted to clarify, I haven't been able to find the "Turbo Pressure Sensor" under that name, but the manifold absolute pressure sensor, (MAP? from Volvo), is that the same thing?

Link here to the part @ FCP Groton:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/p ... ftermarket+

Thanks!
Don

Silver 1999 XC70 AWD; Previously Silver 1991 240 Wagon (with horns)

samjarvis
Year and Model: V70, 1999
samjarvis

Post by samjarvis » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Just about anybody can replace an ETM. Xemodex "built' 2 for me. No problem. But, we need some Volvo community experts to fess up on the Volvo weakness. I threw a perfectly sound car away because, after 3 ETM replacements, first one a Volvo warranty job with shit electronics from MFR and then 2 XEMODEX rebuilds, I was still experiencing random stall outs and I suspected a bad computer!

If the computer ECU is bad, is there a code for the brain having a fart?

Every dealer in town had a BOZO who was a wizard .... excuse me ... remove and replace junkies are not wizards ....

hasta la vista volvo (ehhhhhhhh FORD)

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 am

FORD had NOTHING to do with this design

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

ChrisatXeMODeX
ChrisatXeMODeX

Post by ChrisatXeMODeX » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 am

Here is a link to the instructional video on how to replace the ETM http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/video-8644347

ChrisatXeMODeX
ChrisatXeMODeX

Post by ChrisatXeMODeX » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 am

We have put together the ETM Diagnostic Flow Chart to help you diagnose a faulty throttle. Here is a link http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimprov ... 0Chart.pdf

jmichaelm
Year and Model: 2000 S70 GLT
jmichaelm

Post by jmichaelm » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I did this today on my 2000 S70. If you are a somewhat inexperienced mechanic as I am, expect this to be difficult. Compared to the other work I've done, bleeding brakes, changing spark plugs, It was quite a bit harder. It's not hard to understand, just hard to do :|

Watch the video and then expect these things to be a bit harder than they look...
1. Pushing the intake hose back to let the fan in and out is much harder than it looks in the video.
2. Using a ratchet and wrenches is much harder than using the very cool pneumatic tool.
3. Putting the first bolt in while installing the new ETM is pretty hard.
4. Getting the intake hose back on the throttle is hard.
5. The video doesn't show loosening the starter bracket to free the trapped electrical connector. You have to remove the single bolt facing you, but you only loosen the two nuts on the side of the bracket so that it moves enough to get the wire out from under it. If you are lucky you might not need to do this but I did.
6. If you have longer arms (I'm 6'2" with proportional arms) you will likely find it hard to reach into the bay and under the manifold and then operate tools while holding parts.

Now the good...
The new XeMODeX is great. Previously I experienced weird surging/hesitation whenever I drove the car particularly when cruising at 40-50 mph. After test driving a few miles I found all that is completely gone. Throttle is smooth and controlled at all speeds under all conditions. This car is steadily becoming fun to drive.

XeMODeX has eliminated one more thing you "must" see a dealer for, programming the ETM. Now if only they could find a way to eliminate the dealers' lock on the key/remote market (there's a bad pun in there somewhere) I would officially declare them gods of the Volvo home mechanics. :D

2000 S70 GLT