- Please get back to us so we can "close the loop" on our advice.
- No ALL-CAPS titles or posts (it's the equivalent of shouting).
- No funny/special characters in titles to get attention, please, and no profanity anywhere.
- Don't ask for people to reply to your email address. This is a forum, not a mailing list, plus you can get email notifications to responses anyway.
- Please be kind to other members. Let's keep this place flamewar- and bad attitude-free.
- Don't hijack a topic. If you have a question that isn't directly related to the current topic, start a new topic.
- Please try your best to write readable English. This means spelling counts here. If you can use a spellchecker, all the better. Written text is the only form of communication we have, so it's important to be clear and concise.
- Do not write "HELP" in your title. Everybody needs help, so you don't need to add that.
- Do not post the same thing in multiple forums. We will delete duplicates.
- No politics or religion in posts, signatures or usernames, please.
- How to register registration and use of the forum is free
- Choose a good password this is self-explanatory
- How to post a question
- How to post (attach) a photo
Please use MVS built in photo upload tool, or send them to me...
- The phpBB user guide to posting (this is a superb guide, I highly recommend it)
- How to watch a topic (or even a whole Volvo Model forum) for replies
If you have a new question, please start a new topic. Don't add it to a topic unless it's the same subject. A post is one single collection of sentences by one person. A topic is one or more posts, one after another, down the page.
Don't Private Message or email moderators with Volvo questions, please. When you have a question, post it to the appropriate (sub) forum. The forum is successful because there are 200,000+ publicly viewable posts. From our perspective, there is no point replying to one person in a private message or email when thousands of owners needing info could benefit from a forum post. There are no stupid questions, just post it and you'll get help.
But if we catch you asking a moderator a Volvo question over the Private Messaging system, we will have a few words with you. If you'd like to contact Matt, aka Matthew, just go to the Contact Page and I'll get "write' back to you. Get it? Write? Hahahahaha, lol, hm.
If you're unfamiliar with forums and think you may do a faux pas, don't worry about it -- just post it! Really! We are VERY friendly here -- in fact we pride ourselves on it -- and nobody will get on your case if you post something in the wrong forum, or post twice or more by accident, etc.
If it's truly something private, for instance "How are the wife and kids?", then you may use this board to private message or email a moderator.
Help this Site
There are several very simple things you can do to help MVS. Helping MVS brings in more people, which brings in more knowledge, which then helps you. Symbiotic.
The central figure in all this helping is Matt who runs this site ("Matthew", but just call him "Matt"). If you donate for instance, he can spend less time on his regular job (freelance web developer) and more time working on this site creating things like the Volvo Repair Database.
Donate. Help offset the $300 per month hosting fee. (Detailed explanation)
Amazon. Click that before you add items to your cart and this site gets a cut! (detailed explanation)
Tire Rack. After clicking on those Tire Rack sale ads, buy something and this site gets a cut!
Link to us. Put a link to MVS on your site or Facebook page. Anywhere, it doesn't matter. It's the link that counts.
When You Post a Question
Volvo Model Information
We seem to always run into inadequate information and have to ask the basic questions a lot of the time. When you post a new topic please give the following:
1. Year and model of car as well as the trim level (for instance '98 S70 T-5).
2. Tell us how many miles are on your car.
3. Pertinent to topic, tell us modification and recent repairs or disrepair to your car.
4. Your location and/or which country your Volvo was made for.
5. Any other information that you think will help.
#1 above is a must and we as mods as well as others who are trying to help can't help you unless we know this basic information. This is going to be even more important after the forum realignment takes place.
And please make sure you're posting in the correct forum.
If you do a Repair... Document it!
Help us help others. Document your repair by taking a few notes and posting them here. If you can, take some photos! Send them to funtent (at) gmail (dot) com and he'll post them if you can't post the photos. Please don't use Imageshack or Photobucket! We have been noticing images from just a few years ago are disappearing from these hosting sites. That means excellent repair tutorials now have no photos, and it's unlikely we'll ever retrieve them.
The MVS Moderators and I offer our guidance for your benefit, for free. We ask for only one thing in return: that you understand that we do not offer any assurances or promises that what we write will fix your car, solve your problem, or provide a safe vehicle. For assurances, please have work diagnosed and performed at a qualified dealer or independent Volvo repair shop.