IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

VIDA DICE, which one to buy?

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
Emil
Year and Model: Volvo V70, 2001 2.4T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Emil

Volvo Repair Database VIDA DICE, which one to buy?

Post by Emil » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Afternoon,

I have decided I better get myself a VIDA DICE. Which one would be the most appropriate for my 2001 V70? I am using Win 7 so that may narrow my selection. Also, I see that most if not all of those are coming from Hong Kong or China (guess technically Hong Kong is now in China), and I am curious if one has better reputation than others. I have seen in several forums challenges with getting the software to work, hardware issues, linking issues etc.

If older version of OS, like XP, would work better with some of the older versions of VIDA DICE, I am sure I could find an older laptop somewhere I could get going.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Emil

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Re: VIDA DICE, which one to buy?

Post by JDS60R » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Emil,
ARD used to sell these. Contact "Lucky" at http://www.ardideas.com

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

mouseskowitz
Year and Model: '02 and '04 V70
United States of America
mouseskowitz

Post by mouseskowitz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:55 pm

I just bought this one and it's supposed to be here Monday. We'll see how it works.

2002 V70 2.4T ~202k miles
2004 V70 2.4 ~92k miles

MattHenning
Year and Model: XC70, 2001
MattHenning

Post by MattHenning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 pm

The one I bought from AliExpress was junk. The seller gave me the run around until it was too late to make a claim. It was a waste of $100. After all hopes of returning the DiCE had vanished, I took it apart to see that a transformer had apparently been damaged while being soldered. This DiCE came with the 2012A version of VIDA.
The second DiCE I ordered was from eBay. This unit works fine. It came with VIDA 2012D. I was unable to successfully install either 2012 version of VIDA. I tried it on a machine running Windows 7 Pro. I tried it on a machine running XP Home. I bought a new copy of XP Pro, installed more memory, wiped the hard drive and tried an install after freshly installing XP Pro. I tried a variety of tricks from MVS posters as well as from other Volvo boards. Nothing.
I ordered a copy of VIDA 2010B. Installed properly on XP Pro with no problems on the first try. I have read that, if your car is not newer than 2010, VIDA 2010 is the way to go. XP Pro is necessary for 2010B.
Even though I spent well over $300 getting everything to go, it was definitely worth the trouble. I cannot imagine working on my 2001 V70 XC without VIDA/DiCE.
I hope you get lucky and get a working unit the first time! Even if you have to order 2 Chinese knock-offs, it is a fraction of what you would pay for the real deal.

Emil
Year and Model: Volvo V70, 2001 2.4T
Emil

Post by Emil » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you all for your feed-back.

Matt Henning,
Which seller on e-bay did you use? I don't quite understand how many can be selling the same stuff there, but if you had a good luck with yours, I sure would like to buy from the same outfit.

Thanks,
Emil

MattHenning
MattHenning

Post by MattHenning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm

The seller was "car-care-diagnostic-tools." From the listing, I assumed the seller was located in the US. I was hesitant about dealing with someone in China if there was a problem, so I was willing to pay the higher price. However, the item was shipped from China, so I was, apparently, misled. The DiCE did work, however. The seller also offered some suggestions about getting VIDA 2012D to work.
I suspect that all of these knock-offs may be made by the same manufacturers and that it is a crap shoot regardless of who you buy it from. Just a hunch.

MattHenning
MattHenning

Post by MattHenning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:49 pm

The seller from which I bought VIDA 2010B was "hilossa" The first disc I received was defective. The seller quickly sent me another one. Excellent seller.

coflynn
Year and Model: 2002 S60 AWD
Canada
coflynn

Post by coflynn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 am

MattHenning wrote:I suspect that all of these knock-offs may be made by the same manufacturers and that it is a crap shoot regardless of who you buy it from. Just a hunch.
This is guaranteed to be the case. The same seller I bought my unit from on AliExpress shipped a defective unit or two to other people. Just buy the cheapest off AliExpress, since it's a gamble anyway. If it's defective don't let them screw you around, and DO NOT mark shipment as received until you've tested it. Once you mark shipment received you are at the mercy of the seller to fix the problem, before then you have AliExpress to help you.

There's a VMWare image of the VIDA software that I recall someone posting. It looked like a huge download but will save you a lot of hassle.

sergio
Year and Model: S60 2002
sergio

Post by sergio » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 am

Mine came from autonumen;
http://autonumen.com/goods-287-VOLVO+VI ... 2012A.html

For about 166 $ including shipping. I am satisfied with my deal.
It worked. They answered every email I sent them.
Just don't forget that there is 12 hours of difference between our clocks (East cost and HK)

This is what I learned about them;
They are in Shenzhen, China. They send the product(s) to Honk Kong and there it is expedited all over the world via DHI.
A further examination of the site revealed that the product comes from Autosky.
Autosky invites you to be their reseller. You set up your web site, you set your (higher) price, you sell, your client pays you, you pay Autosty, Autosky sends it to your client with your name on it as if you did the hole deal!
So it is quite possible that they all come from the same place.
Besides, the descriptions and photos of most sellers are C&P of the same.

S60 2002 180K miles looks and runs like new (except when sulking)

xHeart
Year and Model: 1997 854 NA
United States of America
xHeart

Post by xHeart » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:07 am

I don't see the need for one. The sensors are doing a better job showing CEL codes.
Yet, I would go ahead and procure one to better maintain my two cars.

The Volvo's, the original, is priced reasonably, see it here at amazon http://www.amazon.com/2012A-VOLVO-VIDA-DICE-Diagnostic/dp/B008E8CF12

The temptation for a lower cost is unbeatable. Aside from Reviews, has anyone tried a Live Support before ordering http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/volvo-vida-dice-diagnostic-tool-1618.html?gclid=CPfLjvCnxbcCFcU7Mgodtz4ALg

--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +140mi/225km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +190mi/ +305km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240