Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Recomended MBC for Volvo 850 Turbo

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
Gustafve
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
Gustafve

Volvo Repair Database Recomended MBC for Volvo 850 Turbo

Post by Gustafve » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm

Does anyone have a recomended Boost Controller?

clawless
Year and Model:
clawless

Post by clawless » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:05 am

This link has a good 'how to' on boost controllers for Volvo turbos. With the ECU controlling the boost you may not get what you want with a MBC.

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/engi ... spage.html

I plan on running his setup with Voodoo IV controllers once I get my other issues resolved, exhaust installed and upgrade the ECM.

I also have an accuboost controller (http://www.boostsciences.com/) on a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo. Easy to adjust and well built, however they say its range is 0-30 psi, I can't get it to go under 10psi, which is fine for this car, that also the reason I did not go with them for the Volvo.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by matthew1 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Voodooboost url changed to Google search

Clawless

97 850R

csbrianp
Year and Model:
csbrianp

Re: Recomended MBC for Volvo 850 Turbo

Post by csbrianp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 am

3barracing has one for $40 and installs in minutes and makes a big difference on cars older than 1999.

Brian

chax
Year and Model:
chax

Post by chax » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm

The above link no longer works, so let me ask: is a MBC installed in the POSITIVE pressure line that goes from the BCV to the wastegate servo? I was looking around on ebay, assuming it'd be installed in the above line, but then got the impression that they might be designed only for NEGATIVE pressure lines. Or could you just install it "backwards" for a positive pressure line? Thanks!

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I've had a $80 Hallman ES MBC in my 850 T5 for months and it's great. Yes, you can make one for $20. If I could do it over, I'd go that route. It's just a dead-simple mechanical device that either works or doesn't. You'll know the second you accelerate from your driveway if you've gotten it terribly wrong. IF you have a boost gauge.

It boosts to 15psi in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears, and up to 10psi in 1st. Stock T5 behavior is 10psi in any gear. I do not have an ECU remap/chip/tune. I do have an R ECU. I do not get fuel cutoff until ~90mph / full throttle.

I do have a boost gauge. I would feel very uneasy using an MBC without one.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

SweedSpeed
Year and Model: s60T 2001
Has thanked: 0
SweedSpeed

Post by SweedSpeed » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Hey Matthew!

If you have a moment, would you mind explaining where/ how you installed the MBC in your vehicle? Is it before the TCV or after, directly inline or did you use t-fittings to use both the MBC and the TCV, etc?

I have a '01 S60t 2.4 (no, I wish it was a R design, but sadly it is not) and have been searching high and low for info on how to utilize a MBC without building too much boost in the low gears. I have posted a diagram that someone shared with me at this link - www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19645&p=248994#p248994 and would love to know how this compares to your configuration, or anyone else's who has had success with a MBC in a turbo Volvo.

Currently, with the configuration shown in the diagram (and I'll be glad to post it again if you would like, I just didn't want to over do it) I can't get over 9lbs of boost. This method works in conjunction with the IPD TCV, so the boost in the low gears is regulated by the TCV/ waste gate actuator arm (set @ 4.5 - 5#) but I'm wondering if there is constant bleed-off to the waste gate which won't let me get over 9#. Any help would be VERY much appreciated as I've been chasing this one for quite some time. Thanks!

Regards,
Geoffrey

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Hello SS

Source for MBC: compressor housing (green)
Output of MBC: wastegate actuator (yellow)

I capped two of three TCV ports -- the same two (green and yellow in that chart, NOT as labeled on the TCV) that now have no job to do.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

SweedSpeed
Year and Model: s60T 2001
SweedSpeed

Post by SweedSpeed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

Matthew,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Finally the mystery is solved. There are several (and likely many) others with the same questions and on several threads. Is there any way to combine so that all could see the above sought after answer? Would you like me to message you links to the threads I found? Just want to give back what you passed on to me. Thanks again.

Geoffrey

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 am

SweedSpeed wrote:Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Finally the mystery is solved.
Geoffrey, thank me after it's working in your car ;-).

Last week I found a few MBC topics, pointed them to this topic, then locked them. If you see more, please either post in those to come to this topic (and I'll see that you did that, then lock them) or simply post their links here and I'll take care of them.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

juliov
Year and Model: 850, 1995
juliov

Post by juliov » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:16 pm

I am also looking into installing an MBC, since the stock TVC is damaged. I was doing some researching in google, and read that insalling an MBC can be hazardous to the engine do to something called "spiking". Is this true?

1995 850 TURBO