IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Tune My Ride! '98 V70 LPT - Fast Friday #13!

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Volvo Repair Database Tune My Ride! '98 V70 LPT - Fast Friday #13!

Post by matthew1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Welcome to the first edition of Tune My Ride!

MVS Forum member Rich (rmmagow) asks Lucky "What to do for an all-around improvement -- power/handling -- on my 98 V70?"

What do you have?
98 V70 AWD LPT 180,000. Just about stage-0, only minor vacuum related issues to fix.

How much do you have to spend?
$750 to $1000. I'll do my own wrenching.

Where do you want to go with it?
Faster turbo response with more boost available at the upper end, say the 60 to 80 mph range sort of like how the R responds. Better handling, flatter cornering. The car currently does not have the AWD connected, but I'd like to put it back. I also don't want to kill the motor or tranny.

Lucky's Answer
LPT motors are great when it comes to the low end grunt it takes to get AWD cars moving, but the wastegate setting is critical to get that early boost development that makes these cars so nice off the line. If you haven't set your wastegate yet I can't stress how much that will affect driveability. I'd start with a base setting of 3.6psi and see how the boost develops. This will bring the turbo response in a bit quicker. Even with the AWD disconnected this base setting is going to be really important since you have less load against the engine as your drive shaft and rear end/axles are not contributing to engine loading which has a direct impact on boost production.

As for upper end power, that's going to be a bit harder to make any real gains on since the smaller turbo that comes stock on that engine is going to top out flow as early as 4500Rpm. Downpipe and catback exhaust can certainly help to maintain upper RPM power but at the end of the day a larger turbo is going to be a considerable contributor to better upper RPM power and performance. Consider upgrading to a 15G or 16T since they are bolt on turbos and quite cost effective. As you can already guess getting a proper tune will help you get the most out of any upgrade that changes flow in the engine so consider that if it's in the upgrade budget.

Better handling as it relates to flatter cornering is going to be most impacted with a set of sway bars. Springs can help but with AWD, lowering springs can be harder to find and may not be what you want anyway... Sway bars are a hard upgrade to beat as they provide an amazing increase to the nimbleness and handing of the car with nearly zero side effects or negative trade offs.

Hope this is helpful in getting you to your power and performance goals, if I've missed anything post up below and I'll be sure to reply shortly!

Robert Lucky Arnold

~ ~ ~

• Questions, comments, arguments and freakouts accepted and encouraged. Really. Lucky WANTS to answer your questions.
  • If you want to remain anonymous, email me your question or comment and I will post it as "Anonymous User".
  • It takes Lucky and me several hours combined to bring you Fast Fridays. Your questions and comments validate FF's value.
  • I write paragraph headlines, and sometimes article headlines. Yell at me if you find these not to your taste.
  • Same thing with italics and bolds , they're all mine.

Matt

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Tune My Ride! '98 V70 LPT - Fast Friday #13!

Post by matthew1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Lucky, your company ARD sells tunes and other performance goodies. Do you recommend any of them for rmmagow's '98 V70 LPT?

(Lucky is too modest to push ARD products, but I'm not!)

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

awdsubaru
Year and Model: V70 2.4t, 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
awdsubaru

Post by awdsubaru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I know it gets said over and over on this site, but its my turn now! I truly love this site. It has helped me out so much over the years. I especially love the " Ask Lucky"! Way to go guys, keep up the good work! Thanks for all your efforts.

Current: 2001 v70 2.4T 185,000km
Past: 2002 V70 Base 265,000km
1996 850 glt 290,000km
1996 960 425,000km

arnabio
Year and Model: 1999 V70XC
arnabio

Post by arnabio » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm

These are great. Thanks a ton!

My questions are specific to my car (99 v70xc):
I am considering upgrading to a 16T:
A. Where would I find one?
B. I've read in various places that some people just bolt on a new compressor side and leave the hot side. Is it better to upgrade the whole unit or to do this? My car has about 109k on it and I believe the turbo is in good shape
C. If I were to do this, I would like a new exhaust, but it seems impossible to find a full, turbo-back solution for the awd v70s. Would I need to have a custom one made?
D. Would the stock injectors be adequate for this type of setup?
E. Would I benefit significantly from an FMIC?

Thanks in advance for answers to this smorgasbörd (yay scandinavia!) of questions

Aaron

ARD-Lucky
Year and Model: 1994
ARD-Lucky

Post by ARD-Lucky » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:15 am

matthew1 wrote:Lucky, your company ARD sells tunes and other performance goodies. Do you recommend any of them for rmmagow's '98 V70 LPT?

(Lucky is too modest to push ARD products, but I'm not!)
Thanks for the kind word Matt, truly appreciated!

As for tuning we're always happy to talk with each person and determine their goals before we suggest an upgrade, it's not always the right choice for everryone. However in this case an ARD tune might very well help to reach the power and performance goals that we're talking about and it would be a good place to start when you consider hp per dollar.

ARD-Lucky
Year and Model: 1994
ARD-Lucky

Post by ARD-Lucky » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:28 pm

arnabio wrote: My questions are specific to my car (99 v70xc):
I am considering upgrading to a 16T:
A. Where would I find one?
B. I've read in various places that some people just bolt on a new compressor side and leave the hot side. Is it better to upgrade the whole unit or to do this? My car has about 109k on it and I believe the turbo is in good shape
C. If I were to do this, I would like a new exhaust, but it seems impossible to find a full, turbo-back solution for the awd v70s. Would I need to have a custom one made?
D. Would the stock injectors be adequate for this type of setup?
E. Would I benefit significantly from an FMIC?

Thanks in advance for answers to this smorgasbörd (yay scandinavia!) of questions

Aaron
A. Ebay, Craigslist, Salvage yard, or we can order rebuilt units for you. Pm for more details!
B. The problem with that is that the compressor should be balanced to the turbine as well to ensure good turbo longevity, so that's not advised. If however you mean simply keeping the turbine side exhaust housing but swapping in the Center Housing Rotating Assembly (CHRA) then that is fine so long as you are careful during install.
C. Exhaust wouldn't be necessarily required but a downpipe upgrade might be well worth it depending on power goals.
D. typically yes, if you keep it at or under 14psi
E. Somewhat dependent on your area, up here in the PNW I'd say probably no.. in the southwest then perhaps yes!

Thanks