Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Lucky, Tune My Ride #2: Track My 2001 V70!

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Volvo Repair Database Lucky, Tune My Ride #2: Track My 2001 V70!

Post by matthew1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Welcome to Lucky, Tune My Ride #2!

Not Mark's car. Used for illustration only.

MVS Forum member Mark (awdsubaru) asks Lucky "I am going to the Ohio Mile, which is a 1 mile top speed shootout. What should I do to my Volvo to make her happy on the Ohio Mile?"

What do you have?
2001 V70 2.4t, Automatic, Stock, nothing upgraded.

How much do you have to spend?
$500-1000.

Where do you want to go with it?
Upgrades are for the track. Looking for top end speed to do a mile long hi speed shoot out. I do not drag the car.

Lucky's Answer
For top speed runs that have sustained load on the engine, heat can be a concern specifically with regard to charge temp. For LPT cars with the smaller TD04 turbos if you push the boost into 12-14psi for shorter periods the risk is pretty small however for long sustained top speed runs that level of turbo inefficiency at that boost pressure for that period of time could be a real issue. I'd start by seriously considering either an intercooler upgrade or perhaps water/meth injection. This will help combat the higher charge temps that might otherwise incur detonation and reduced performance.

Obviously to increase stock levels of horsepower tuning is likely on the list. Raising the top speed limiter and careful scrutiny of the timing map will be top priority. Higher octane fuel will be a wise choice as well (if available) as this will help ward off detonation and allow for a more aggressive timing profile that ultimately means higher HP and higher top speed.

Downpipe upgrade wouldn't hurt a bit but in effort to keep the budget in place and put the dollars where they would do the most good. I'd just consider a high flow cat from magnaflow or similar and have a local exhaust shop weld it in place. A high flow cat will be 1/5 the cost of an off the shelf downpipe and will provide the gains necessary to work with the higher exhaust flow. As for cat back, the factory unit is likely fine unless you are going with considerably larger turbo.

As for the turbo, a 16T should be able to be sourced pretty cost effectively with most salvage yards asking $200-$250 for these turbos. This will help create additional flow that will not only improve Hp but will do so in a more efficient way than the smaller stock turbo can at the same flow rates.

Dollars and cents
$545 ECU upgrade
$250 16T turbo
$225 High flow catalyst
Total $1020.00

Now go do it!
The above components represent a typical gain of 45-55bhp quite easily if you want to go to that level. This doesn't include intercooler or water/meth but you could substitute the turbo and catalyst if you prefer. That will be somewhat dependent on your area and climate so consider that into the equation!

Robert Lucky Arnold
ARDtuning.com

~ ~ ~

[list][*]Questions, comments, arguments and freakouts accepted and encouraged. Really. Lucky WANTS to answer your questions.
[*]If you want to remain anonymous, email me your question or comment and I will post it as "Anonymous User".
[*]It takes Lucky and me several hours combined to bring you Fast Fridays. Your questions and comments validate FF's value.
[*]I write paragraph headlines, and sometimes article headlines. Yell at me if you find these not to your taste.
[*]Same thing with italics and bolds , they're all mine.[/list]
Matt

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

awdsubaru
Year and Model: V70 2.4t, 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
awdsubaru

Re: Lucky, Tune My Ride #2: Track My 2001 V70!

Post by awdsubaru » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks Lucky & Matt for the help.

I have sourced a OBX downpipe cat delete for basically free. I am going to grab it, and attempt the installation. While there I may as well remove the resonator. My only concern is that the pipe is for a 03-07 s60r/v70r, but I don't think that will be a problem (I Hope) fitting my 01 V70.

We have emission to deal with in Ontario Canada, so I have read about the 02 sensor bung, to help with a CEL. Worst case, I will keep my factory cat, and reinstall at emission time. Will a performance cat increase performance over no cat at all?

I will start with the downipe, and go from there. I think I will plan on finishing my mod's, and then get a tune, no point in getting a tune first, and then adding components after the fact.

Thanks for the help guys!

Current: 2001 v70 2.4T 185,000km
Past: 2002 V70 Base 265,000km
1996 850 glt 290,000km
1996 960 425,000km

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Lucky, Tune My Ride #2: Track My 2001 V70!

Post by matthew1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Yea, no use getting a tune, then components. Sorry, no info on no cat vs. race cat, maybe Lucky will chime in. You're right to prepare to have a real cat in there for inspection. If it's anything like Colorado, they can look at the physical exhaust. They always put the mirror-on-wheels under my 850 and check stuff out, even though it doesn't scream "street racer". In other words, they're on to CEL/ECU tricks. Probably not the SAS delete ECU trick, but certainly O2 sensor deletes.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]