IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

"Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

VolvoBooster
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
VolvoBooster

"Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode

Post by VolvoBooster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 am

Hello everyone.

I have perused these forums many a time. I am thankful for the advice, help and assistance that the users of the forum have offered and shared. It was appropriate for me to go ahead and ask for help when the many topics I have read over, although relevant, have left me with an unsolved issue.

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T. Just reached 120K last week. I've been getting the message: "Reduced Engine Performance," along with the car going into limp mode. It does not go above about 10-40mph and won't accelerate reasonably. Clearing the codes with my OBDII scanner once I have the key in position II with the car off temporarily solves the issue. It allows me to run the car- perfectly with no issues, no rough idle, running just fine. It runs well until I turn the car off. when I turn it back on, the code returns along with the limp mode. It has not randomly gone into limp mode while driving, only when I start the car, without clearing the codes.

The codes I have are:

p2111- Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
p2111- Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
(Throwing it twice previously)

There was an O2 Sensor Code, Lambda Sensor... something something, but I replaced the front O2 sensor and that code went away. This was a code I had a long time, before the car starting going into limp mode. I am thinking that this is likely unrelated- but I am not the super-expert... ...yet. :P

Other potentially relevant facts:
- The "vacuum pump clip" under the hood has broken off as well. I have to manually place it there frequently.
- I am just about due for an oil change, exceeding the date but just under the miles recommended.
- I read people having an issue with the pedal sensor. ... I'm not sure.

What I have done:
Cleaned the throttle body, thoroughly, then placed a new gasket on it and put it back.
- I recall, the throttle body plug didn't look too dirty anything.
Took the battery off the proper way for at least thirty minutes- even overnight.
Cleaned the MAF.
Checked the air filter.
Charged the battery at AutoZone.
Plugs were replaced about 5 months ago.

I have a VIDA on the way.

Thank you for taking the time to read. :)

Any idea?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: "Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode

Post by abscate » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:16 am

It sure sounds like you need a new throttle body, but, fear not, after reading all the nastiness about the Magnetti Marelli ETB, you have the Bosch on your car which is about 500 USD, but no software to be matched, upgraded etc.

It would be worth getting one from a PnP for less than half that, though, They rarely go wrong.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

nsjames
Year and Model: 04 XC70
United States of America
nsjames

Post by nsjames » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:36 am

rockauto currently has the Bosch unit for $280.

it does have a wide range of interchange, so a used unit may be easy to come by.
VOLVO S60 2001-2009
VOLVO S80 2002-2006
VOLVO V70 2002-2007
VOLVO XC70 2003-2007
VOLVO XC90 2003-2006

volvobro
Year and Model: 2004 S80 2.5T AWD
Canada
volvobro

Post by volvobro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I had the exact same problem as you on my s80, and I was convinced my throttle body had failed (even though, as mentioned above, they rarely fail unless there's water damage).

My problem was due to the throttle body connector plug being loose/damaged. The connection between the throttle body and wiring harness was literally being held together with a zip tie... Lol.
Sometimes, cleaning it would make the symptoms go away, but it evidently needed replacing.
It was difficult finding a replacement, not to mention having to splice in the new connector plug, but the problem went away after that.
2004 S80 2.5T AWD - First car, first Volvo.
Follow my progress to stage 1 here.

VolvoBooster
United States of America
VolvoBooster

Post by VolvoBooster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks everyone, I am really glad for such forums... ...You all are awesomeness. Okay,

abscate wrote:It sure sounds like you need a new throttle body, but, fear not, after reading all the nastiness about the Magnetti Marelli ETB, you have the Bosch on your car which is about 500 USD, but no software to be matched, upgraded etc.

It would be worth getting one from a PnP for less than half that, though, They rarely go wrong.
That's so strange... per my vin number, a Volvo dealer says I need:

I had "8677866" in there, which is a foreign number, per Volvo's information.

This is the thing, I got the intake manifold along with the throttle body replaced about 10 months ago. This was because I wanted to get the most horse power out of it. The reason why I had to do this was because I decided to clean the throttle body and not put a new gasket back on- not a good idea ...just to after that I broke off one of the four bolts on the throttle body. I didn't have the knowledge I have now. Not putting a new gasket on made the car idle slightly more roughly and throw some codes. But the car ran generally fine. Instead of drilling or something similar, the mechanic I work with decided just to replace the intake manifold altogether along with throttle body from another car- could've been a V70. I'm not at all sure. Those issues went away after the replacement and the car has run fine since then. This previous issue is something that has been resolved- not be confused with any of the current issues talked about. I just explained the back story for reference.

Any-who,
I do have a used 30711554 I already ordered coming this week. Being I'm a student, I wanted to try a more economic solution. :)
Should I be looking at the 31216327 instead?'

I wonder if this 30711554 is simply an updated version, not the one that would've shipped stock when the car was manufactured. ...This I do not know.

Thanks gentlemen (and gentleladies).
Last edited by VolvoBooster on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VolvoBooster
United States of America
VolvoBooster

Post by VolvoBooster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 pm

@volvobro

When we are referring to:
volvobro wrote:The connection between the throttle body and wiring harness
are we talking about the connector that goes from the car to the throttle body? I think it's six pin, if I'm not mistaken. Whatever it is, it didn't look dirty, and I specifically looked at it, but I will try to get some CRC electric cleaner along with dielectric grease (If you all think that's a good idea!?) and clean the contacts. Who can tell dirt from the eye? I will attempt to clean it without fully taking apart everything, straight from the hood, I am thinking.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:46 pm

I'd go with the Volvo dealer part number based on VIN. I pulled mine from FCPEuro
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

volvobro
Year and Model: 2004 S80 2.5T AWD
Canada
volvobro

Post by volvobro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:52 am

Yes, that's the connector I'm referring to. Even if it's not dirty, it could still be the source of your problem, and it's way cheaper to replace it then to replace the entire throttle body.
Here's my thread for when I had the same problem:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... hp?t=71156
2004 S80 2.5T AWD - First car, first Volvo.
Follow my progress to stage 1 here.

nsjames
Year and Model: 04 XC70
United States of America
nsjames

Post by nsjames » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 am

dielectric grease is an insulator.
you can use it to seal up the connector by applying it to the rubber gasket, or the back where the wires enter, but do not apply it to the pins.

VolvoBooster
United States of America
VolvoBooster

Post by VolvoBooster » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks so much.

@volvobro: I'll be looking at that thread more closely.

So guys, while driving, I see that cruise control now does not work... How does this affect or change things?