IPD sale Volvo Parts

"Bulb failure - Position light" - Easter Egg Hunt?!? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
United States of America

"Bulb failure - Position light" - Easter Egg Hunt?!?  Topic is solved

Post by Botbasher » Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 am

The title pretty much says it all. I am on the worst Easter Egg Hunt ever. There's not even a chocolate bunny at the end!!

For a couple of weeks I have been trying to hunt down the source of this error. I have confirmed that every light in the car, save the missing fog light, is in place and working. The text of the error leads me to believe that it is a marker light. There is one light that is slightly dimmer (pass ft turn) but it is functional.

Is there a way to narrow down the search for the elusive "bulb failure" or is this like the string of Xmas lights that you simply end up buying a whole new set because the tangled mess pissed you off so badly?

Is it looking for the fog light?!?

I'm up for any suggestions!!

K "Griswold" S

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

Tags:

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005

Re: "Bulb failure - Position light" - Easter Egg Hunt?!?

Post by chrism » Tue May 02, 2017 7:58 am

Whenever I get that error, it's always one of the tail lights. Even if all of the bulbs are illuminating, there can be enough difference in the resistance between one bulb and its counterpart on the opposite side of the car to trigger the error message. On the older 700 series cars, etc., differing brands of bulbs could even cause it. I would suggest you pull all of the tail light bulbs out and compare them for brand name and number. At the same time you can see if the glass part is getting lose withing the brass base (time to replace).

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus

Post by yagger » Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am

Botbasher wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 am
The title pretty much says it all. I am on the worst Easter Egg Hunt ever. There's not even a chocolate bunny at the end!!

For a couple of weeks I have been trying to hunt down the source of this error. I have confirmed that every light in the car, save the missing fog light, is in place and working. The text of the error leads me to believe that it is a marker light. There is one light that is slightly dimmer (pass ft turn) but it is functional.

Is there a way to narrow down the search for the elusive "bulb failure" or is this like the string of Xmas lights that you simply end up buying a whole new set because the tangled mess pissed you off so badly?

Is it looking for the fog light?!?

I'm up for any suggestions!!

K "Griswold" S
Did you check all four back position lamps? Some people think about only two lamps on rear side...
And, also, if you have
There is one light that is slightly dimmer (pass ft turn) but it is functional.
you need to check your bulbs connections inside stop lamp.

We know how to repair electronics and programming Volvo. Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Hey Yagger!

You are talking about the 2 stop and the 2 tail lamps, correct? They are separate and working so I don't know what more to look for there. Is the error for the brake lights and marker lights the same? I have been looking for a list of errors on the DIM Text Screen, but can't find anything comprehensive!

Yeah Chrism... the "dim" one is what I'm betting is causing it. It's behind the ECM Box and wiper fluid mess, so it's the most fun one to get at... of course.

I confirmed that I have 1157s in the driver side (and 3 at the junk yard at lunch), so I'll stop by the local parts house on the way home and get a complete set of marker lights (1157s front/7507s rear) and see if that doesn't cure it!!

I'll keep knocking those dang messages out one by one... if it kills me!

K "determined" S

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

RSAmbassador
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T
United States of America

Post by RSAmbassador » Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Mine threw that after I bought my Volvo. It was one of the 5007 lights in the Passenger tail light.

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm

RSAmbassador wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 pm
Mine threw that after I bought my Volvo. It was one of the 5007 lights in the Passenger tail light.
Was it not functional or was it being picky about the light itself?

What was the cure? Tighten socket? New bulbs? Replacement of socket??

Thanks for the input!

KS

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus

Post by yagger » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Botbasher wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 pm
You are talking about the 2 stop and the 2 tail lamps, correct?
I am talking about 2 stop and 4 positions bulbs. :)

We know how to repair electronics and programming Volvo. Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:40 pm

We're interpreting the message as 'position: light' as a vague reference.
This appears to specifically refer to the tail lamps (as we call them in the US) or a 'positional light'

If we could see the exact message that cars in Sweden (or whatever country/language the software portion of this is written) and start working literal translations we'd probably figure out how this unusually vague sounding message came to be.

I dare you rearrange or try interpret the Swedish->English translations of these (Wink is Locked...OFF) into anything that makes complete sense to us. I'm certainly at a loss:
Attachments
SE.JPG
SE.JPG (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3182 times

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

I spent a minute with my car (with no pending bulb failure messages). There are distinct messages which all are obvious for brake lights, turn signal, fog. The side marker on the edge of the rear lamp assembly does not appear to be monitored. I the front side markers aren't either (I put Phillips LEDs there and with no messages, the diagram shows these are wired parallel with the city lights, which are known not to be monitored per LED conversion thread, indeed I put LEDs there too). When I pull any of the rear facing tail lamp bulbs the message for 'position light' appears.

RSAmbassador
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T
United States of America

Post by RSAmbassador » Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 am

I replaced the bulb in mine and funny thing is it would burn and not burn randomly. most of the time I had to go around back and Fonzie it (eh!!!) and it would start burning again. It hasn't done it in a while. But when it does I bonk the light and it comes back on.