Almost a grand collected! Thanks to you donors. Donation Tally Here.
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

This is for buying tips and tricks - ads, Craigslist, looking under the hood, etc.

Discuss Volvos for sale here. A place to post links to -- or screenshots of -- Craigslist ads of Volvos for sale. Here we look to answer the problem <em>Buy this Volvo because it's a great price or walk away from because the car is a nightmare?</em>
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: This is for buying tips and tricks - ads, Craigslist, looking under the hood, etc.

Post by abscate » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 am

petermetzger wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 pm
Hey my 99 V70 should be worth double - preset 1 is NPR/classical and preset 2 is NPR/news :lol:

I'm headed out to check out a '95 850 turbo wagon with 176k miles and rough paint "but runs well" - any specific tips or things to watch out for?
Ditto that - but mine has a Turbo and 5 speed...

:D :D :D :D :D

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

fairmont50
Year and Model: 1999 v70r

Re: This is for buying tips and tricks - ads, Craigslist, looking under the hood, etc.

Post by fairmont50 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 pm

fresh off a search for a car here with a couple of observations:
1. It is a bit of a cliche, but if possible check the carfax or service history. I found a S60R semi locally that looked good and was priced reasonably. After looking at it I checked the carfax on autotrader and it had showed up for sale at a dealer less than 1 week after being at a Aamco for service. It had since been through several dealers and auctions - did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling to say the least.
2. I avoid vehicles that have modifications (especially electrical) in general unless they are of obvious good quality. Purchased an old truck a year or so ago to have around for old truck stuff and probably overpaid by about 10% because it was a > 20 year old 4wd truck that had not been modified at all.
3. Look regionally for the vehicle if possible. There are overpriced markets, I live in one and have not purchased a car locally for years. Sometimes you can save thousands by driving a couple of hundred miles.

Thats all I have for now,

Chris

fairmont50
Year and Model: 1999 v70r

Post by fairmont50 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:16 pm

One more from recent experience:
If it is a modern car (security key) that does not come with at least two working keys, discount your max price by $250 - $500 depending on the car. Do your research and have some knowledge going in. I recently purchased a 2004 es330 and assumed that the key programming was the same as a 2002 es300 that I had some experience with in the past. This was wrong, the 2004 has no on board programming ability and requires either a dealer or locksmith to program the key.

Chris

E Showell
Year and Model: V70 '98 FWD NA 5spd
United States of America

Post by E Showell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 am

If the ad doesn't say whether the car was not smoked in or whether or not it had pets in it, I'll always ask before making a trip. I can't stand a car that smells of smoke and, as far as I know, there's no way to get rid of it. I also prefer to know if a car was adult owned.

I also study the photos, if any, fairly carefully. I tend to pass on anything with boy racer touches -- you know -- ground effects lighting, blacked out alloy wheels, etc. I figure if somebody was trying to make the car look fast standing still, then they probably liked to drive it fast as well, and while not always a problem . . .

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black

Return to “Good Buy or Goodbye?”