IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Noobie thread? Noobie thread. (2001 2.4 NA Manual Q's)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

oldandbroke
Year and Model: 2001 V70 2.4 NA
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
oldandbroke

Noobie thread? Noobie thread. (2001 2.4 NA Manual Q's)

Post by oldandbroke » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Well Hi Everyone.

I've recently hijacked this thread, but I have a bunch of questions that I'd like to ask to the group at large.

I've done a lot of reading over the past few days, and I don't *think* any of my exact questions are already answered in any obvious place, but my apologies if I've missed some things!

I have a new to me 2001 V70 with 174K miles. To make a long story short, I have a very detailed report from Carfax demonstrating that it's been exceptionally well maintained.

But I have some questions anyhow. :mrgreen:
  • I was linked to a vid regarding the airbox thermostat on the NA 2.4, and in that vid the easy solution to wearing out the thermostat is to jam it open so it gets cold air at all times. Is there a downside to this? I just found myself wondering why the thermostat was there at all. Second question - where does the spring that guy uses come from? Am I supposed to recognize it?
  • Any chance the cargo cover is cheaper at a salvage yard than it is on Ebay? I'd like to have one, but not sure I really want to pay $150+ for it.
  • More or less same question for floor mats.
  • The body-color bit of plastic housing on the top of my driver's side mirror is loose. The mirror itself is very firmly mounted. I saw some things come up in my search that said there is no fix except to replace the entire unit. I also saw a very very old thread from someone who said he somehow fixed it with screws, but no pics were provided. Any suggestions? I can provide pics/video if that will help.
  • M1 High Mileage or M1 0W40 Euro oil, or something else?
  • Regarding synthetic - it sounds like I need to plan to do several filter changes if I'm going to make the switch, since I don't know what was used before. Is that the only caution? Is there any real benefit to synthetic on a gently driven NA if I plan 5K oil changes?
  • My "pen clip" is broken in the center console. Is this easily fixed? It's damn near the only thing that's broken.
  • Looks like my clutch is original. It doesn't slip, and the pressure plate feels good. There is no throwout bearing chatter that I can detect. How long can I hope to get from it? I hear it's a pretty expensive fix.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Noobie thread? Noobie thread. (2001 2.4 NA Manual Q's)

Post by abscate » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:13 am

The clutches in these cars run long , 250-300k , so put those worries to rest
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm

oldandbroke wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 pm
Well Hi Everyone.

I've recently hijacked this thread, but I have a bunch of questions that I'd like to ask to the group at large.

I've done a lot of reading over the past few days, and I don't *think* any of my exact questions are already answered in any obvious place, but my apologies if I've missed some things!

I have a new to me 2001 V70 with 174K miles. To make a long story short, I have a very detailed report from Carfax demonstrating that it's been exceptionally well maintained.

But I have some questions anyhow. :mrgreen:
  • 1 I was linked to a vid regarding the airbox thermostat on the NA 2.4, and in that vid the easy solution to wearing out the thermostat is to jam it open so it gets cold air at all times. Is there a downside to this? I just found myself wondering why the thermostat was there at all. Second question - where does the spring that guy uses come from? Am I supposed to recognize it?

2 Any chance the cargo cover is cheaper at a salvage yard than it is on Ebay? I'd like to have one, but not sure I really want to pay $150+ for it.

3 More or less same question for floor mats.

4 The body-color bit of plastic housing on the top of my driver's side mirror is loose. The mirror itself is very firmly mounted. I saw some things come up in my search that said there is no fix except to replace the entire unit. I also saw a very very old thread from someone who said he somehow fixed it with screws, but no pics were provided. Any suggestions? I can provide pics/video if that will help.

5 M1 High Mileage or M1 0W40 Euro oil, or something else?

6 Regarding synthetic - it sounds like I need to plan to do several filter changes if I'm going to make the switch, since I don't know what was used before. Is that the only caution? Is there any real benefit to synthetic on a gently driven NA if I plan 5K oil changes?

7 My "pen clip" is broken in the center console. Is this easily fixed? It's damn near the only thing that's broken.

8 Looks like my clutch is original. It doesn't slip, and the pressure plate feels good. There is no throwout bearing chatter that I can detect. How long can I hope to get from it? I hear it's a pretty expensive fix.
I numbered your questions for ease of answering.

1. The purpose is to enable the engine to heat up quicker when started. If broken you'll get poor fuel economy from the warm air. The downside to fixing it in place is slightly slower warmup of the engine.
4. As far as I know the painted cover is fastned with clips. If they're broken glue would probably do the trick. How likely are you to need to remove it again?
5. *W40 is pretty perfect. You can go for cheaper (at least it is here) 5W40 as well if you don't need the cold start performance. I'd say synthetic oil like this really doesn't need such short oil change intervals though.
6. There's no need to do anything in particular when changing to synthetic. If you change to an oil with stronger cleaning additives, synthetic or not, you might break old dirt loose.
7. The whole piece of plastic with the pen clip on it snaps loose if you pry from the edge. Shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement.
8. Milage isn't the main concern when it comes to clutch life. Driving style is. A car that does mostly stop-and-go with a bad driver will quickly wear the clutch down. Mostly longer distances and it'll be like new long after the rest of the car is worn down. You can do 200-300 k miles in the original clutch if you're kind to it. (There are about 5 manuals for every automatic around here. Clutch failure is rare.)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 am

My 1999 T5 was a Mom-mobile for 14 years and is still on the original clutch after 140k of stop-and-go driving.

My 2005 clutch blew up at 110k, but Im pretty sure Volvo left a bolt of the release bearing mount in Belgium in 2005 as causal. The clutch disc was worn down to 4mm, dead, though.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary

oldandbroke
United States of America
oldandbroke

Post by oldandbroke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks very much abscate and Ratnalle.
There's no need to do anything in particular when changing to synthetic. If you change to an oil with stronger cleaning additives, synthetic or not, you might break old dirt loose.
I think this was the concern - I wouldn't even have thought of it if not for seeing oragex post about it in a couple of threads.

Given that most of the oil changes seem documented to have been done at Volvo dealers - should I be paranoid about more frequent filter changes to avoid clogging from this possibility the first time I put in a known oil that could have this impact, or is it unlikely to be an actual concern? It sounds like you are saying chances are there will not be any detrimental impact?

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am

My point was that the issue is just as likely or unlikely to happen regardless of what your pour in if it's different from the previously used oil.

I wouldn't bother myself. Especially with US oil change intervals being what they are. If you were doing the European interval of 2000 km to an oil change I'd probably throw in a filter change a third of the way buy that's where you'll be doing the next oil change either way and flushing it out that way.

These engines aren't too picky as long as you don't use crude oil in them.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 am

I think most people here are DIY oil changers. I have no evidence to back this up though -just my sense from playing here.

Lets see...I THINK MOST CHANGE THEIR OWN OIL

There...I yelled it, so it seems even more valid.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 am

abscate wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 am
I think most people here are DIY oil changers. I have no evidence to back this up though -just my sense from playing here.

Lets see...I THINK MOST CHANGE THEIR OWN OIL

There...I yelled it, so it seems even more valid.
I'd have to agree when it comes to this particular crowd.

oldandbroke
United States of America
oldandbroke

Post by oldandbroke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:45 am

I've been both kinds of owner over the years. Single and/or no kids - did all my own work, unless it was major and beyond my skill level.

Now that I have a family - I do my own work when I can or when I have to due to cost, but often I am swallowing my pride and paying for such things.

I definitely prefer to do the routine and minor things myself though. I feel like it helps me get to know the car better.