Almost a grand collected! Thanks to you donors. Donation Tally Here.
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Climate Control Module Troubleshooting

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
broadusc
Year and Model: 2000 V40
United States of America

Climate Control Module Troubleshooting

Post by broadusc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 pm

I've looked at the other threads here, but don't see a solution. My climate control module has gotten more dodgy as time has gone on since I bought the car a few months back and now can go a day without working at all, which isn't great in the winter. When I first bought the car, I replaced the blower motor transistor, and things worked through the summer. Now the AC and Recirculate buttons flash when I start the car and the blower motor is very inconsistent whether it works or not. I bought a used climate control module on eBay, and I'm getting the same exact results now that I've installed it. What else can I do to troubleshoot this? Although not impossible, I'm assuming that two climate control modules are unlikely to have the same problem and it must be something else.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America

Re: Climate Control Module Troubleshooting

Post by alschnertz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:13 am

Tough to find good testing information on these. I've tried as well, but it sounds like yours is even worse than mine.

Xemodex has repair services listed on their website. About $350.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/climate- ... 244-10-20/

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV, '10 Mazda3i
'13 Ford Focus SE

Klausc
Year and Model: 1995 855 Turbo
United States of America

Post by Klausc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 am

The blinking lights indicate a problem has been detected. You need a scan tool to get the codes and determine a solution. The blower should always work in 'manual' mode, but check it to determine if it runs slow or fast only. The blinking lights can also be caused by a dirty cabin temp sensor.

Klaus
If I had a larger garage, I could have more Volvos.

broadusc
Year and Model: 2000 V40
United States of America

Post by broadusc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm

The "manual" mode is either on or off. If the unit is working, I can set it to any fan speed. If it's not, it's just dead. The fan control does nothing. I've hooked up my code scanner, but it's not throwing any code. I've cleaned the cabin temp sensor on both and both had a little dust bunny on them. Since my original post, I have to say that the "new" used climate control module is more consistent than the original one that came with the car. It usually works after it's been sitting overnight (thankfully), but if you shut it off to run in the store, it won't work when you come back out and start it up again, and then may not work until the next time it sits for a while. If you put in on auto, it's pretty much the same behavior.

Klausc
Year and Model: 1995 855 Turbo
United States of America

Post by Klausc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 am

A generic scan tool will not work, you need VIDA/DICE or a Volvo scan tool that can check Volvo specific codes. One that also can be used for SRS, ABS, and CEM codes. Not cheap, unless it is PC based and you have a spare laptop.

Klaus
If I had a larger garage, I could have more Volvos.

Return to “Volvo S40 & V40 Forum (2000-2004)”