IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Can anyone help with my color code? B980 =/= Oak? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

JRL
Year and Model: Several
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
JRL

Re: Can anyone help with my color code? B980 =/= Oak?

Post by JRL » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

What I was trying to tell you is not to post pictures and int. codes for the NEWER (08 to current) cars, they're different and (as said) may confuse him.

01s and 02 had some different colors then the 2003s to 2007s.
The seat picture I posted is a FRESHLY (4000 miles ago) refinished Oak 2007 XC seat.
The insert portion door is a good example of light tan from all years
These weren't very bad to begin with especially the passenger seat but you always need to shoot both front seats because they NEVER will match if you only paint one of them, (unless you just spot an outside bolster).
Since as I said, my car is a bastard car, my rear seat is LIGHT tan or Sand.

If the OP comes back and would like to see a shot of that he needs to let me know.

I do believe that in 2001 you could possibly get XC70 seats in that color, (I'm not 100% sure anymore), definitely NOT in the 2005-2007s and I also think not in 2003-2004s

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

leapdragon
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
Been thanked: 0
leapdragon

Post by leapdragon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 am

Thanks for your help and input, everyone.

Seems like there's a general lack of information out there on all of this, and I still haven't settled on an answer. I may end up just having several different colors shipped to me and/or mixing if necessary—the samples idea is a good one.

The car that I have is very clean for its age and was always garaged. The main reason to want to do leather surface work are a series of scratches that someone got on the driver's seat (looks as though they had something in their right rear pocket on several occasions and slid into the seat. Oops.)

But I'm almost positive that:

- This was not a two-tone interior (in terms of two shades of tan/beige) originally
- The original color was not Oak either

I come to the second conclusion by looking the photos of Oak above. The color is similar in value (brightness), but whatever my interior has is far more earthy—much more in the way of green tones (exterior is a kind of green-grey metallic paint, and they complement each other), and with more red tones as well. Same brightness, but more color saturation. I would expect time and wear to darken surfaces and dull the colors, not leave them at equal brightness but add color. The lightest areas that I can find (inside plastic surfaces upon removal, where not exposed to light or dirt) are not a good match for oak, again with difference being hue rather than brightness.

I'm going to have some samples sent. The AA80 code for Taupe is an interesting thought because that would match what the VIN decoders are telling me, i.e. That xx80 for this VIN is "taupe" interior for this model year, which runs contrary to what the dye sheets from a bunch of vendors are saying.

What's clear is that for different year ranges, the codes meant different things. One supplier has a very helpful sheet with breakdowns by model year showing the variations offered for particular years and which year ranges apply to any one color. Only problem is they only go back to '04.

I'm wondering if that's really what the trouble is here—most everyone is just speccing and shipping color for '04 and later—so owners with earlier cars are left using data that ends up providing the wrong answer.

If I do find a match, I'll come back and post it, since Google reveals a few other people searching without luck for what "B980" means in this model year.

leapdragon
leapdragon

Post by leapdragon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:33 am

Aaaand I just had a dye company suggest to me by email that Volvo actually used different color names for different markets, that U.S. Taupe = Euro Oak and Euro Taupe = a darker brownish color that was not in the U.S. market, so if you're shopping suppliers that use the Euro terms you order Oak but if you're shopping suppliers that use the U.S. terms you order Taupe. I have no idea if they're even right. Sounds fishy, but I'm not the only one who's lost on this, it would seem.

Basically, whatever is actually true, the fact that I can't simply get the interior code off the plate and easily find related products would indicate that Volvo pretty much screwed the pooch on their color naming/coding scheme over the years.

You're right JRL, I'm confused.

I think actual color matching is probably the only sensible way to do this. Sigh.

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5 mt
United States of America
93SCMax

Post by 93SCMax » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 am

leapdragon, Thanks for your updates. I think your dye company has it partially right...different color names are used for different markets, but I don't think Oak was used in the Euro market, at least in 2001. I have the European Sales Order spec sheet (option sheet) for my 2001 V70 T5 that was ordered in Germany and shipped to the US. Car was built for the US market. For the Upholstery color codes, they clearly state Taupe is AA80 for the T5 Leather Sport seats. Other T5 options are Off black (AA70), Light sand (AA51), Sisal (AA72), Taupe (AA80) and Light Taupe (AA81). Options for the 2.4 and 2.4T are also listed, they start with A9XX. They also list cloth upholstery options. They start with A2XX. I could be wrong, but I don't think any cloth upholstery options were available in the US.

I believe that starting with the interior code is the way to go. Whether you call it Taupe or Oak, B980 (XC70) should look similar to AA80 (V70 T5). It's probably listed as XX80 for a S60.

At any rate, good luck color matching. Share your results when you are finished.

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 am

I said the lighting didn't help in my pictures, it's a bit darker. I also mentioned that Oak gets "muddier" looking as it ages, mine is a fresh re-dye.
You will never get it right by trying to order the dye to spot a portion of a seat.
The ONLY way to do this properly is to shoot both front seats to match each other and to TRY to get it as close as possible to the door card color.

I've been doing this a long time and repairing/refinishing Volvo seats for 13 years now and what I said above is the only way to do this properly.
It's also much easier to let a pro do this, someone like a www.fabrion.net. They do not charge very much! I pay about $75 per seat, to "re-skin" and re-spray and what you see in my picture above is what you wind up with...more or less.

Whether it's a hair "off" from the door panels or not, it doesn't matter, only you would notice it, no one else will.
Trust me on this

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

leapdragon
leapdragon

Re: Can anyone help with my color code? B980 =/= Oak?  Topic is solved

Post by leapdragon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:01 pm

So I gave up on trying to find a match—there was one company that claimed to have "Oak" rather than "Arena" but they don't ship to the U.S. Nobody wanted to send samples.

So in the end, I took the bottles of dye I'd already sourced and did some mixing. About 6 ounces of taupe (a darker color than my interior) with about 2 ounces of Arena (far lighter) plus about a quarter of a teaspoon each of red and yellow water-based acrylic artist paint (I can hear the gasps and no doubt someone will correct me on this but oh well), all stirred together, got me a very, very close match. In some areas, it's indistinguishable, in other areas it's just a hair off (this is no doubt due to natural variation over time).

Colored the whole seat front and afterward and it looks very reasonable indeed. If I had someone like Fabrion in this area, no doubt I'd have used them, but it's up to me, so it's done now. I'm going to send the little bit that's left off to whomever does the cheapest color matching and have them match it exactly for another 16 oz. of dye.

But basically —
Not Arena
Not Taupe
Not Lt. Taupe
Not Lt. Beige
Not Ivory

Three separate VIN decoders report "taupe / taupe" as interior color, but it's clearly a different taupe, mine is multiple shades lighter than the Volvo-matched taupe that I used to mix up the final color.

Passenger seat and center arm rest are untouched, driver's seat has had the entire front side redyed. Hard to make judgments because of the lighting, I know (the steering wheel is the same color as the interior passenger door panel, and both are the same color as the dash, though here they look way different). But all in all it's a reasonable match and once I get another bottle color matched to what's left of this one, I'll do the passenger seat to match the driver's seat exactly and then top coat them both.

N.B. It is entirely possible that all I've done is stumble indirectly on to "Oak" but given that I couldn't find a supplier for Oak anyway to test it out... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Nice job

arcticrik
Year and Model: 2002 V70
United States of America
arcticrik

Post by arcticrik » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello all! This is my 1st post here on the forum. (I am an active forum member on the bmw e90post with the same username) I have join this forum in search of some help for my mother inlaw. I am trying to find her a christmas present, a replacement broken trim peice in her 2002 V70. She absolutely loves this car and is the original owner. She has babied this car since day 1. I am having a little trouble finding the exact color trim piece. I have been to 3 different dealers all telling me based off her VIN that the part they order is the correct color and that over years of fading whats in her car was once oak. I am having a hard time believing this as the entire interior of a garage kept car cant fade evenly. Below is the picture of the part and color I am in search for. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5 mt
United States of America
93SCMax

Post by 93SCMax » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 am

I'll try to help.
1st, could you be more specific with the car, is it an NA, a 2.4T or a T5? This will help in confirming what color option she may have.

2nd, Go to the car and open the hood. Look for a silver/aluminum data tag like this. Take a pick and share or write down the upholstery color code...AA51 in this example.
Data tag.jpg
Data_tag
3rd, compare your number to this sheet to determine the exact color. This is a 2001 build option sheet, but I figure the 2002 models probably carried over many of the same options.
Options.jpg
2001_options
Once you have the exact match, you can buy online or find a junk yard donor car with a similar color code/color. Be aware that the same color could have 3 different color codes, dependent on the model (NA, 2.4T, T5). For example, Off black could be A270, A970 or AA70.

Good luck.
These users thanked the author 93SCMax for the post:
arcticrik

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am

we have enough here for a reality show - Say Yes to the Volvo Seat Colour..

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW