IPD sale Volvo Parts

Major toe-out, steering wheel upside down

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
Gtin
Year and Model: 98 v70
United States of America

Re: Major toe-out, steering wheel upside down

Post by Gtin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for all of your help guys, I woke up late today and don't have time to fool with it much before heading to work, I'm sure the answer should be right in front of me but most of my mechanical experience is engine or tranny swaps, electrical problems, stuff like that, the most experience I have with this sort of stuff is swapping complete strut assemblies or taking it apart on my old Saturn to get the tranny out and then putting it right back together. I'd be completely lost in all of this without you guys, I'm gonna check out the wheel hub and strut mount as soon as my coffee is ready and I'll post back here before I head to work.

crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70
United States of America

Post by crlande » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Steering rack and pinon jumped a few teeth?

Gtin
United States of America

Post by Gtin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm

So I didn't have time to get the rotors off to get to the wheel hubs and really look at them but with the rotors on everything seemed tight and together, no excessive gaps I could see or movement I could feel. I put the wheels on and bounced it around a bit, the strut mounts seemed solid, my driver side sticks up further than the passenger but it's been like that for a while and I know it needs replaced but with the impact being on the passenger side I don't believe that's my current problem. I also took a few pictures with the wheels on incase anybody was curious how much my wheels were out. First is where my steering wheel is at, then the next two are my driverside, followed by the passenger side where I hit.
Attachments
IMG_20180212_142043.jpg
IMG_20180212_141937.jpg
IMG_20180212_141929.jpg
IMG_20180212_141918.jpg
IMG_20180212_141906.jpg

Gtin
United States of America

Post by Gtin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 am

Alright guys I've decided to go ahead and spend some money so I don't have to tear it apart again, I ordered new outer tie rod ends for both sides from rock auto today and when the rest of my money comes in tomorrow I'm going to order a steering rack, I figured with the time and effort it took to load up my tools into my girlfriend's Saturn and go pull one at a junkyard just to end up with one that leaks I might as well just spend the cash to get a good one and finally have power steering in this thing. I figure that should cover the most likely culprits of my problem and the Volvo will be much happier in the end.

So my current question is what power steering rack should I order, I definitely don't have the cash for a shiny new Volvo rack, or even the maval rack from fcp euro with their lovely lifetime warranty, so I'm looking at a remanufactured duralast from AutoZone, or a new or remanufactured rack from eBay, has anybody had any specifically bad experiences with either of these, the price isn't much different but that core charge from AutoZone kills me as i do anticipate this taking me a couple of days to do.

ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
United States of America

Post by ZionXIX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 am

I'm looking at replacing my rack in future and I'm thinking about getting the genuine rack from FCP but I also do not have the cash. Its gonna take a lot of money saving but personally that is the one that will last the longest and the next time it breaks its free parts. On a somewhat related note I am thoroughly annoyed that I paid a indie Volvo mechanic to replace this rack many years ago only to have it start leaking ago a couple of years ago. I don't understand why these Volvo racks are prone to leaking. My 1996 Toyota 4runner has the original factory rack and has never leaked. It probably still has the original fluid that needs to be changed.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 am

You've got to get the right one. I believe there are TRW racks and another brand, and they don't interchange.

Order by comparing old part to new

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

Gtin
United States of America

Post by Gtin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 am

Alright, I made a decision and placed an order for a remanufactured rack from a company called Detroit axle, $146 remanufactured Volvo rack, seemed like a decent company and a good price, here's to hoping I don't regret it.

I still plan to take the wheels back off and check the hubs before work today, but I needed a new steering rack regardless and I'm glad I've stopped putting it off

ZionXIX
United States of America

Post by ZionXIX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Gtin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 am
Alright, I made a decision and placed an order for a remanufactured rack from a company called Detroit axle, $146 remanufactured Volvo rack, seemed like a decent company and a good price, here's to hoping I don't regret it.

I still plan to take the wheels back off and check the hubs before work today, but I needed a new steering rack regardless and I'm glad I've stopped putting it off
I would be very interested to know if that is in fact a re-manufactured genuine Volvo rack.

Gtin
United States of America

Post by Gtin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I was curious about that with the price being as low as it was. (Originally Just over 160 but they had a coupon code available from their Facebook page) I called and they seemed very professional, asked them the brand of the racks they remanufactured and they said they only do genuine Volvo because of some sort of weaker or thinner metal on aftermarket racks.

Guess we'll find out for sure when I get it. Either I've found a great deal or I've wasted some cash, If it turns out to not be genuine Volvo I'll still be content as long as it functions properly.

ZionXIX
United States of America

Post by ZionXIX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Gtin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I was curious about that with the price being as low as it was. (Originally Just over 160 but they had a coupon code available from their Facebook page) I called and they seemed very professional, asked them the brand of the racks they re-manufactured and they said they only do genuine Volvo because of some sort of weaker or thinner metal on aftermarket racks.

Guess we'll find out for sure when I get it. Either I've found a great deal or I've wasted some cash, If it turns out to not be genuine Volvo I'll still be content as long as it functions properly.
I read up on their "Lifetime Warranty". It seems legitimate but it has a lot of "we dont cover this or that" jargon. Basically if it breaks they will rebuild it but you have to mail it to them. They wont cover any labor or damage costs of any kind and warranty shipping is on you. Also the warranty does not go into effect until they receive your core rack. Don't get me wrong, I like doing business with FCP but if I can get a high quality rack for a sixth of the price, I might be willing to try it. Please post detailed pictures when you receive it, especially any serial numbers or markings so we can confirm if it is genuine. Of course genuine is only one piece of the puzzle, I guess the only way to know the quality of the rebuild is to install it and see what happens.