IPD sale Volvo Parts

Advice please... Should I buy? 1999 V70 XC, tight budget, $3k

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 14195
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Location: NYC
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 236 times
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by abscate » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 am

BLWhoo wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 am
I am considering purchasing a 1999 V70 XC, it's got 168,000 miles on it. Looks pretty good. Drove it around the block, sounded great no hesitations etc, but it did have the engine light on. Seller told me he had taken it in to have it hooked up and was told it is the O2 sensor (which he said was not much of a big deal). My question is this... I am a single mom with a very tight budget. Would this be a reliable car, and are there any questions I should ask before buying? From what I know, he is the 2nd owner. He's asking $3k for it, but states he's willing to go down a bit on price.

Any advice? Should I avoid it? Or would it be a good idea? Would it be a vehicle I could take a road trip in?

Thank you in advance!! :D :mrgreen:
Hello BLW!

How much do you drive every year in miles?

These are great cars butbaspinted out above there are a couple of major items that cost big money.

Usually the codes that lead to an OXS sensor error are not caused by the OXS sensor but other stuff, like loose hoses

The car should probably be in the $1500 range if the seller can't provide it error free.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
bmdubya1198


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

Tags:

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Sweden

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:02 am

My five cents for reliability:

I agree with June's advice to have it inspected.

Get a newer year. Stuff ages. I'd pick a newer car with more miles on in rather than the opposite, within reason of course. The P80s while nice and dependable are not new cars. They're also IMHO noticeable older cars to drive and sit in than the P2s. There isn't really a difference in how reliable they are in practice apart from age, milage and service record. "It's newer, more complicated and therefore less reliable" just isn't correct.

Avoid AWD unless you really need it (snow chains and FWD are a better option for actual traction in terrible conditions tbh).

Get one that has a good service record in the last few years. Personally I go for cars that have been driven a decent distance in the last few years, that at least proves they've been relatively dependable to the last owner apart from possible recent faults causing them to sell. My car had the same owner for ~10 years and ~190k miles and a very consistent distance driven every year including the last one. I was betting it was replaced mostly due to age and upcoming timing belt service and so far I've found nothing to indicate otherwise.

And last but not least: Don't expect any car to be completely trouble free. Any old car will have parts that needs replacing every now and then. Neither the P80s nor the P2s are too bad to work on but it still has to be done. Since old cars are cheap to buy you can get away with quite a cheap car ownership if you do stuff yourself. If you hire someone to do it, not so much.



User avatar
rspi
Posts: 7183
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 19 times
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by rspi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

BLWhoo wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 am
I am considering purchasing a 1999 V70 XC, it's got 168,000 miles on it. Looks pretty good. Drove it around the block, sounded great no hesitations etc, but it did have the engine light on. Seller told me he had taken it in to have it hooked up and was told it is the O2 sensor (which he said was not much of a big deal). My question is this... I am a single mom with a very tight budget. Would this be a reliable car, and are there any questions I should ask before buying? From what I know, he is the 2nd owner. He's asking $3k for it, but states he's willing to go down a bit on price.

Any advice? Should I avoid it? Or would it be a good idea? Would it be a vehicle I could take a road trip in?

Thank you in advance!! :D :mrgreen:
Unless you like working on cars... don't walk, RUN!


'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

clifford06
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2000 T5
Location: texas
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by clifford06 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Greetings. I say " Walk away like a lady." If your budget is tight now it will get tighter with maintenance on this car. The check engine light itself, is like meeting a blind date that shows up with alcohol on their breathe. Not a way to impress !



User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm

rspi wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Unless you like working on cars... don't walk, RUN!
I can’t argue with this statement! That’s probably why I don’t find this car “unreliable,” because I don’t mind being under the hood once a week!


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 185,000 and counting
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Black 187k M56 swap in progress
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Gone but not forgotten
1999 Miata Sport 5 speed

User avatar
June
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by June » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Really the BIG problem with the 1999 V70 Cross Country is the Cross Country portion. That means in Volvo speak All Wheel Drive. The AWD used in 1999 was finicky to say the least. Find a nice clean 03 up plain V70 Front Wheel Drive and the horror is reduced considerably. I am speaking from experience having owned a 98 AWD V70 brand new. The warranty was needed regularly.

The V70 is a fine very safe family car. Find a clean, low mileage car to start with and yes keep the maintenance up and it will take good care of you and your family for years. Also if you have a problem buying premium gas, don't buy a turbo equipped car instead look for a non turbo car. In fact a non turbo V70 might be better for a mom on a budget.

Good luck, June


My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by bmdubya1198 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

June wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm
Really the BIG problem with the 1999 V70 Cross Country is the Cross Country portion. That means in Volvo speak All Wheel Drive. The AWD used in 1999 was finicky to say the least. Find a nice clean 03 up plain V70 Front Wheel Drive and the horror is reduced considerably. I am speaking from experience having owned a 98 AWD V70 brand new. The warranty was needed regularly.

The V70 is a fine very safe family car. Find a clean, low mileage car to start with and yes keep the maintenance up and it will take good care of you and your family for years. Also if you have a problem buying premium gas, don't buy a turbo equipped car instead look for a non turbo car. In fact a non turbo V70 might be better for a mom on a budget.

Good luck, June
That is true. The NA cars have a lot less that can go wrong simply from lack of turbo oil and coolant lines that can leak, among other things.
The '03+ P2 would be a great option because by then I think they have a newer transmission than the troublesome AW55 auto and the newer Bosch ETM rather than the Magnetti Marelli which is known to fail.


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 185,000 and counting
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Black 187k M56 swap in progress
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Gone but not forgotten
1999 Miata Sport 5 speed

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Sweden

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am
June wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm
Really the BIG problem with the 1999 V70 Cross Country is the Cross Country portion. That means in Volvo speak All Wheel Drive. The AWD used in 1999 was finicky to say the least. Find a nice clean 03 up plain V70 Front Wheel Drive and the horror is reduced considerably. I am speaking from experience having owned a 98 AWD V70 brand new. The warranty was needed regularly.

The V70 is a fine very safe family car. Find a clean, low mileage car to start with and yes keep the maintenance up and it will take good care of you and your family for years. Also if you have a problem buying premium gas, don't buy a turbo equipped car instead look for a non turbo car. In fact a non turbo V70 might be better for a mom on a budget.

Good luck, June
That is true. The NA cars have a lot less that can go wrong simply from lack of turbo oil and coolant lines that can leak, among other things.
The '03+ P2 would be a great option because by then I think they have a newer transmission than the troublesome AW55 auto and the newer Bosch ETM rather than the Magnetti Marelli which is known to fail.
The AW55 was used until the end of the P2s. But it was improved somewhat. The ETM is newer and CEM and DIM issues are fewer though.

As for turbos having a lot less that can go wrong. Well yes they have fewer moving parts but serviced properly the turbos last as long as the car. They're probably more reliable than the transmission.. Other than the coolant and oil lines and the moving parts inside the turbo there's very little difference when it comes to parts that can break. The 2.5T that came in -04 is after the T6 the most fun P2 engine to drive as well. Goes like a train. If you like that kind of thing. If poorly taken care of, serviced with mineral oil for example, I'd steer clear, though I would without turbo as well.



BLWhoo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 am
Year and Model: Not Yet
Location: Colorado
Has thanked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Advice please... Should I buy? 1999 V70 XC, tight budget, $3k

Post by BLWhoo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 am

:mrgreen: Thank you ALL so much for the advice. I'm glad I thought about looking up something like this. :)



tryingbe
Posts: 1859
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Year and Model: None
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Been thanked: 14 times
United States of America

Re: ADVICE PLEASE... Should I buy?

Post by tryingbe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 am

erikv11 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Some comments on June's insightful post:

(1) I recommended a mid-2000's car to the OP, not a 90's car.
Any used old car that is sub $3000 will need $1000-$2000 of work/maintenance in the first year of owner ship.

My $1500 Insight costed me $3500 to bring it up to par, excluding work on engine/transmission/clutch/hybrid battery/paint.


85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clemens, Google Adsense [Bot] and 29 guests