IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 T6, tranny replaced w/rebuilt OE

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
moonweasel
Year and Model: 2002 S60 2.4L non-T
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
moonweasel

2004 T6, tranny replaced w/rebuilt OE

Post by moonweasel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 am

Hey guys,

I know the general consensus seems to be a hard pass on the T6 AWD XC90’s due to the weak/failure-prone transmission, but one came up for sale locally (northwest WA) that already had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt OE which is apparently under warranty by Volvo for two years...

131K, single owner with dealership service records back to new... wondering if you guys think it’s a bad idea, is the transmission just going to fail again soon?

Here’s the text from the ad:

“2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD in excellent, well maintained condition. 131,083 miles. One owner, records back to new. Lifelong western Washington car, with extensive service records from Ravenna Volvo, Seattle Volvo, a north-sound independent shop, and more. The owner's Excel spreadsheet (included) documents every single service, repair, and tire swap from 3410 miles to 124307 miles.

Crystal Green Metallic #456 over Charcoal Leather interior.
Inline six-cylinder turbocharged engine and automatic transmission
Third Row Seating, folds flat into cargo floor. 7-Passenger capacity.
Premium Package including Leather Seating, Heated front seats, Sunroof, & Rear Park Alert.
Rear Seat AC and aux rear seat Sound System.
Tow Package including factory Trailer Hitch and Wiring.
Bridgstone Blizzack snow tires with 50% tread remaining.

Our shop just installed a Volvo OE remanufactured transmission, requisite new transmission oil cooler lines, as well as a new radiator. The transmission is warrantied by Volvo for two years.

The car received a comprehensive timing belt service in December 2013 at 102,592 miles that included the belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. The water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, and coolant tank hoses were also replaced at this time.

The car also received new front struts and spring seats during the timing belt service.

A new battery was installed on Feb 2017 at 126,835 miles.

There is a 2007 receipt from Seaside Autobody to repair to the front of the car after a Deer strike. The front bumper and AC Condensor were replaced. We believe that the front bumper has the only non-original paint on the car.

By now, most XC90s have accrued twice the mileage with half of the care that this car has enjoyed. With one owner, records to new, and up to date service, this is the XC90 to own. Comes complete with original owner's manual, thick service file, and two factory keys.”

2002 S60 non-turbo, 114k

FLXC90
Year and Model: 04 XC90 T6
United States of America
FLXC90

Re: 2004 T6, tranny replaced w/rebuilt OE

Post by FLXC90 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 am

Having been there and done that with one that failed just AFTER I bought it; I would say, if you can buy it and put away $50/mo for the next failure, go for it. I would also be mindful of use. I wouldn't tow a boat up White or Stevens' Pass with it, but for normal loads etc... Or expect to drive it for thee or four years, and then retire it if it has another catastrophic failure. I have 60k on a trans that was a Volvo Service Replacement supposedly with 10k or less on it, and it is holding up fine. I have towed cars on dollies, and a heavy trailer with a motor than did worse than a cart on dolly here in the mountainous regions of Florida :lol:

With knowledge going in, a fair price, and realistic expectations, I would go for it.
These users thanked the author FLXC90 for the post:
moonweasel

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (for sale )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in today)
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm

I suppose at 130K miles that was the second transmission replacement. But anyway, the 'refurbished' ones from Volvo may last between 40-70K miles. Just double check it was indeed coming from Volvo (just a call to the main dealer) and it's not just a used one from a junkyard. Certainly the owner sold the car for like $500 to the named garage, so it depends how much they are asking for it, considering when you are going to sell the car it won't be worth much (i.e. no one will call).
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
moonweasel

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I have a 04 T6 with 140k on it. Original tranny was replaced at about 88k by Volvo with all the Volvo required parts being replaced. At about 134k I rebuilt the tranny my self as it was starting to make noise over 65mph. Upon tear down I saw excessive clutch wear and steel burns. The car spent 2 years in Pittsburgh and I am sure the hills gave the tranny a pounding. The 4t65E has this problem in every car it is put in. That stated my pal had his Impala go 240k on the original tranny and I have seen XC90s with the 4t65E with these kind of miles, although I don't know how many transmissions they ate getting there.

A quick aside, the Volvo tranny can also fail if the coolant system fails and mixes with the tranny fluid. Mine did not have this problem. Other problems are the AWD part of the tranny having mechanical issues - due to age and extremely harsh driving. This is pretty rare.

On rebuild I updated all the parts, and used replacement parts which over time have been determined to be better. Specifically some of the steels are thicker so the clutch pack gap is reduced on certain gears. This makes for a harsher shift but a longer lasting transmission. Allegedly the larger gap is by design so that the shifting is smoother, but the downside is that certain clutch packs burn up quicker.

I would say that if you do not live in a really hilly area and do not do a lot of start and stop driving the 4t65E can last a very long time. But as the Volvo is big and heavy, if you have hills and stops and starts it will not live a very long time. You should get 60k out of the transmission in extreme driving - that is just my guess - nothing scientific.

If the car is cheap enough I would not hesitate to buy it. It is a good vehicle. Rebuilding in car by just doing the clutches and steels is not a bad job. You can also update the tranny.

Look it is a 14 year old car - at 15k a year you should get 4 more years out of it, worse case scenario. Do the numbers and see if it works, assuming after four years the car is worth nothing as the tranny failed. You may get 6 or 10 years, but just assume 4 for value sake. At that point it is an 18 year old car.

One thing I would do is check the tranny fluid. If it was just rebuilt the color should be a nice dark clear red. If it is black or foggy you have some excessive wear showing.

One other item - was the torque converter replaced? I would have concerns if it was not.

I would not pay more than $5-7k for the vehicle.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post (total 2):
moonweaselmatthew1

moonweasel
United States of America
moonweasel

Post by moonweasel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Price is listed at $6,999.

Truth be told, I probably drive less than 1,500 miles per year.

I have done tune-ups, brakes, ETM, struts, etc on my 2002 S60 and my girlfriend’s H6 Outback, so I’m not work-averse. I’ve also never rebuilt a tranny before, but I’m good at taking things apart and following instructions.

Don’t need to haul a boat or a trailer, just meetings around town, band gigs, and light camping trips. I think I might take a run at it.

2002 S60 non-turbo, 114k

FLXC90
Year and Model: 04 XC90 T6
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 am

oragex wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm
I suppose at 130K miles that was the second transmission replacement. But anyway, the 'refurbished' ones from Volvo may last between 40-70K miles. Just double check it was indeed coming from Volvo (just a call to the main dealer) and it's not just a used one from a junkyard. Certainly the owner sold the car for like $500 to the named garage, so it depends how much they are asking for it, considering when you are going to sell the car it won't be worth much (i.e. no one will call).
My XCs first failed at around 125k. PO used it to haul and launch a boat at least occasionally, and as an around town family shuttle. Came with a ream of maint. records. Dealer and Indy service up to the point of trade in. 2nd day I owned it, it died.
I bought the replacement from Southern VoVo, Still had the In-Service replacement label on it, and donor was under 100k. I've done 60k with it under moderate stain. I believe it was a factory new part to begin with. And I agree, the truck has basically zero value for sales purposes. But it is still a roomy, comfortable tank for my family, and a good cargo hauler (125 lb. 13 month, Great Dane Puppy)

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (for sale )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in today)
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 am

moonweasel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Truth be told, I probably drive less than 1,500 miles per year.

The price makes me worry a little as a refurbished transmission from Volvo is somewhere from $4500 to $5500 parts only which would leave no more than $1500 profit assuming they paid $500 for the car. For a transmission job that takes several hours, their margin of profit is so small, I'd surely double check it was indeed a refurbished transmission from Volvo, and not just a used one from a junkyard that may fail within the next 500 miles (most T6 went to the junkyard because of the transmission so used ones in good condition is rare)

But if the main dealer confirms the transmission serial to be refurbished it may be a good purchase to drive only $1500 miles/year

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am

moonweasel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm
I'm not offering my opinion on what to do, but if I was the dealer and I sold a 14-year-old XC90 T6 for $7k, I'd consider myself the luckiest dealer in the US. I'd encase the suit I wore that sales day in a museum quality full-length climate-controlled enclosure, and label it with a plaque that said "The Lucky Suit" and put it in the Museum of Good Luck, wherever that is.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
moonweasel

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

tryingbe
Year and Model: None
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
tryingbe

Post by tryingbe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Is the warranty transferable? Is that signed by Volvo saying the warranty is transferable?
These users thanked the author tryingbe for the post:
moonweasel

85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

moonweasel
United States of America
moonweasel

Post by moonweasel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:21 pm

First thing I would check on is the warranty: that it’s transferable, that it’s actually Volvo warranting (warrantying?) the part, and whether the work is also warrantied by the shop.

KBB private party value is only $3200 to $5600, even in “very good” condition… what would you all offer if it was you?

2002 S60 non-turbo, 114k