IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 T6, tranny replaced w/rebuilt OE

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: 2004 T6, tranny replaced w/rebuilt OE

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm

I wouldn't touch one of those unless I picked it up for almost free and immediately pulled/shipped the trans off to triple edge for their heavy duty rework/rebuild. Nobody wants a car you're afraid will break down something major every time you venture more than 25 miles from home.

The problem is, if it's in good overall condition (and runs/drives) you won't get it for 'almost free'.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:22 pm

There is nothing magical about the Volvo 4T65E transmission. It is 95% the same as the GM variant of similar years. The Volvo rebuild kit is the same as the GM's, but it needs an additional kit which contains the fourth gear pack and a seal for the awd. Rebuilding the Volvo variant is 99% the same as the GM version. It is tried and tested, but it is not a great design for the XC90. It can be modified to be more robust than stock which TripleEdge does.

I would put in a TripleEdge rebuild for $2100 (you send in tranny) over a Volvo rebuild because Dave uses all of the best updates. Regardless a Volvo rebuild will last easy 60k, and most likely 120k or more if treated normally.

I personally rebuilt mine using TripleEdge suggestions for rebuilds. I used a working core that had 80k on it. I found only one outright failed part, an accumulator spring in the core transmission I used. This spring could have been replaced by just dropping the transmission oil pan. I did note that the clutch packs were worn, but the tranny still had plenty of life in it. The Volvo rebuild that was failing in my XC90 was also torn down and I found worse wear - but I attribute that to the miles it spent in Pittsburgh. Every part that actually needed replacing on both transmissions was the exact same part found in the stock 4t65E rebuild kit. With fluid such a rebuild would be $300 in parts if a complete rebuild kit was used. If one only changed out the disk packs and did slightly more than a bare rebuild, I think one could be in and out for under $150.00 in parts and fluid. As stated the 4T65E is tried and true and parts are cheap, the tranny is easy to work on, and there are plenty of videos out there to do it. Any decent tranny shop can do a rebuild if one is afraid to tackle the job themselves. Volvo is always 2-3x more expensive for parts. One can service the valve body and clutch packs without taking out the transmission - for the most part every thing TripleEdge does can be completed without removing the transmission. Just follow VIDA instructions for servicing the valve body, then watch some videos on doing an in car rebuild for an Impala plus buy a 4t65E service manual to keep things straight if your pictures and documentation gets confused.

If the tranny was rebuilt and carries a Volvo warranty - and the torque converter was replaced I would not have too many fears, especially with the miles you drive. Like I said, $5-7k for a really clean XC90 with a rebuilt warrantied transmission is a good value.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post (total 2):
moonweaselJune

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Yes, my use might be a little different than OP's. I'd be scared to drive that XC into the city of Chicago where I go regularly if I suspected the trans was due for a rebuild. If you break down there it can be upwards of $1000 just to claim your vehicle if you croaked in a tow zone, which is pretty much everywhere. Tow fee, storage fee, whatever 'parking' tickets they decide to tack on, plus paying one of the 'approved' tow companies just to get it out of the city lot. That shit scares me. In Indiana, generally, unless you left it in the middle of the road they'll leave it alone for 12-24 hours to give you a chance to make your own arrangements. In Chicago they have these city contracted 'private' tow companies trolling the streets paid on commission. If they notice you first before whatever tow you called arrives you're still a gonner.