IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Buying used (not CPO) from a dealer far away

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

BrianV70
Year and Model: 2000 V70 XC AWD/SE
United States of America
BrianV70

Buying used (not CPO) from a dealer far away

Post by BrianV70 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:53 am

Howdy,

I am starting to look around for a P3 platform XC70 ('08 or newer). I live in Denver, CO and the used market for AWD cars here seems to be inflated (like everything else here recently). As an example, my wife recently bought a CPO V60 and saved $2-3K (including airfare) by driving one back from Dallas.

My price range suggests I am targeting an AWD 3.2 trim level with somewhere between 45,000 and 65,000 miles. Not likely to be a CPO. Maybe a T6, but less likely. Locations all over the map (TX, CA, midwest, east coast).

When buying used, a pre-purchase inspection by a good mechanic is always advised. How about when buying from a Volvo dealer? How would you go about that? Find an indy to look at it? Talk to their service department (totally biased)...?

Thanks!

BrianV70
Year and Model: 2000 V70 XC AWD/SE
United States of America
BrianV70

Re: Buying used (not CPO) from a dealer far away

Post by BrianV70 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:09 pm

I learned a bit on the internet this evening:

- Same brand ("franchise") dealers get better picks of used cars through customer trades and dealer auctions

- Some have standards for what they will allow/sell on their lots and are more likely to do repairs to get vehicles up to snuff to preserve both the dealer and brand reputation.

- Independent used dealers are lower on the totem pole for auctions. Public auctions (where my '00 V70 XC is going next...) is where all the crap ends up.

- One "pro tip" might be to look for your choice of car at a competitive brand dealer. I.e., find my used XC70 at an Audi dealer. You are competing against auction price, and they will be eager to get that crap off of their lot b/c they don't want customers shopping competitive brands.
These users thanked the author BrianV70 for the post:
matthew1

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 am

Brian - reach out to Jim (JRL) if you are willing to spend to get the clean retail type car - it will carry a clean retail price, but it will be the real deal. A wholesaler like Jim can pick a creampuff from the auctions, but unlike you or me, if he finds something fubar, he sends it back and gets his money back.

The value is you get a car with no surprises. If you want to spend a couple years to find the clean retail at wholesale price, thats the other route - which might not happen

Jim in in South East PA near the Mainline

Disclaimer - no financial interest other than thanks for 30k miles on my "2005 standard transmission JRL clean as a whistle V70"
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
BrianV70

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 pm

If buying from a dealership, I'd google up for reviews or forum discussions on that place. Myself not going to buy blind just because it's a main dealer - we all know well enough how dishonest are many of these when it comes to repairs. Give at least local.google.com a try with the dealer name and check the reviews.

Also, if issues happen, returns or warranty claims may be a problem because of the distance, I think.