IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

SRS Airbag Service Urgent

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
MyKidsSentMeHere
Year and Model: 2006 XC90 V8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MyKidsSentMeHere

SRS Airbag Service Urgent

Post by MyKidsSentMeHere » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Howdy Folks,

Now that my second child has arrived, it is about time I drive a 'family friendly' vehicle. After a couple months of research I decided I NEED an XC90 V8. I found 'the one' this last Saturday and drove her home: Model Year 2006, with 164,000.

I paid a pretty low price at a used car dealer, knowing there are some things to fix sooner or later (creaky suspension, occasional misfire, obnoxiously boring muffler, etc...). About 24 Hrs after I drove her home, the check engine light popped on up with the message, "SRS - Airbag Service Urgent". When it happened, my wife was alone in the car, with her purse sitting in the front seat. Before that, we had taken her out and about a few times, with many stops along the way. Is it possible the purse-in-seat triggered this warning? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've done some research about this message and found that it could indicate any number of problems in the SRS system, from a faulty module behind the dash ($$$?), the female-end of the seat-belt, faulty ignition switch, or some generic short in the circuit somewhere. Do any of you folks in the Denver/Boulder, CO area have a VIDA/DICE and time to help me pull some codes and narrow down the problem? I'll be purchasing my own setup in the near future, but I would like to get this sorted as soon as possible. It is the "family" car now. I like safety.

Thanks in advance!

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Re: SRS Airbag Service Urgent

Post by Masscomguru » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:27 pm

First is to look at all of the connections under the seats and to make sure nothing got unplugged. The you will need to reset it with a volvo specific code tool.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm

Most higher end scanners will tell you more information regarding the cause of the code. You could call around or ask your normal shop if their scanner will work. Get a price or estimate. There are so many SRS points on your car that could be causing issues it is worse than throwing darts. To clear the code you will need to get it hooked up to a computer and scanned either way (maybe twice if you fix it yourself) - so either wait until your VIDA solution is available or pay now.

Maybe the smart approach is go back to where you bought it and ask them to scan it for you free of charge. Tip the tech $10 if it is a simple part you can repair, and then come back and have him clear the code when the repair is completed.

MyKidsSentMeHere
United States of America
MyKidsSentMeHere

Post by MyKidsSentMeHere » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks for the tips! I didn't notice anything unplugged or out of the ordinary beneath the seat.

I think I will use this as motivation to pull the trigger on one of those Chinese Vida/Dice setups, or maybe one of the guys selling a good-to-go laptop. I know i'll need the scanner again when I dig into my misfire, then who knows what else in the future. The only downside will be the time between now and when I get VIDA operational.

MyKidsSentMeHere
United States of America
MyKidsSentMeHere

Post by MyKidsSentMeHere » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Just posting an update to provide some closure. I plugged in VIDA/DICE 5 days ago to check the code - SRS-00E7 CAN signal Signal missing. I cleared the code and did some research to determine the potential places of failure if the code re-appears. The code has not shown itself yet with daily driving so I believe this is a non-issue.

Thanks again!