IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 V70, low-ish miles, owner says it needs a new cat. Am I nuts to consider?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

paredown
Year and Model: 1999 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
paredown

2001 V70, low-ish miles, owner says it needs a new cat. Am I nuts to consider?

Post by paredown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Haven't been hanging since we donated the V70--(Not completely rational--I seriously was on the way to the Emergency in such pain I thought if the car broke down, I would die on the side of the road--made me want newer and more reliable). So we picked up an Acura TSX wagon--optimistic that the car payment was doable--and my wife's business has evaporated this year. So thinking about starting with another Volvo...

So--I've been trolling ads--looking at B5.5 Passat wagons and affordable Volvo V70s.

Found a local V70 T5-- looks a little neglected, under 100,000 miles and I could pick it up for about the same buy-in as the old V70 ~$1000>

So what I know generally with 2001s--transmission problems (some but not all).

For this car, owner says it 'needs a new catalytic converter (pretty sure that is why it is sitting). Body looks nice. No idea about service history, but it looks like it has been parked for a bit.

How much pain would be setting myself up for?

I'm assuming that the R&R would include fresh fluids including A/T, PCV renovation. Trouble shoot the codes--and CAT/O2 sensors. Timing belt (if not done)--if codes can be cleared. Front end (tie rod links etc). So pretty much the stuff I did on the old V70.

Any big gotchas that I am overlooking? (Had the ECM on the V70 and wasn't a problem--maybe just lucky?; had Matty Moo rebuild the ABS module on that car too--not sure if that is a problem on the 2001s.)

1999 na 2.4l V70 beater--donated to Habitat in running condition

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: 2001 V70, low-ish miles, owner says it needs a new cat. Am I nuts to consider?

Post by volvolugnut » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:10 pm

My 2 cents as an owner of 2001 V70 T5 for 50,000 miles: Mine is now near 200,000 miles and needs regular care and feeding. I have replaced the transmission, radiator, did PCV clean, power steering rear hose, Electronic throttle, timing belt, parking brake shoes, belt idler, cam solenoid and fuel pump. Currently random no start problem. I like it and will continue to repair it myself.
However, I think this is a complex vehicle with expensive needs - especially in T5 trim. If you can do repairs yourself and it is in decent condition and you can afford the parts, go for it. Otherwise, consider the non turbo or another car.
These users thanked the author volvolugnut for the post:
Georgeandkira

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Re: 2001 V70, low-ish miles, owner says it needs a new cat. Am I nuts to consider?

Post by E Showell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:48 pm

If sitting for a while you may need to replace the brakes, more or less. Rotors will be rusted, calipers may be seized or on way to seizing. Not inexpensive if a complete refresh is required.

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Being appreciably in-the-know helps a lot. It sounds like you can attach (and add up) $ numbers to various scenarios.
Have you seen the car? So much sounds superficial. A HG failure or something real wierd (?) killed the cat.
You'll be weighing the price of some other car with AT LEAST the ~$1,000 + ?..$3,500?
Do you have a budgeted amount?
Can you run it to where you can reasonably feel out the trans?
If nothing else, go ask the guy why he thinks the cat is dead.
Bring a good code reader.

Same thing for me tomorrow. I'll be examining a 2004 XC-90 w/104K being sold by the guy who just sold his Exxon station in a small town near me.....if it's not already gone. A friend was told "it's up to date". Can't beat that, can you?

volvolugnut's spotlighting of the turbo is appreciated. I think I know what to look & listen for.

I might end up buying one of those swivel head bolt-that-holds-the turbo-oil-return-line-gasket retainer sockets.

Where in New York are you? Wanna team up and flog a couple of old Volvos? It's how I learned.

paredown
Year and Model: 1999 V70
United States of America
paredown

Post by paredown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Looks like it is on hold, or not going to be sold--had an email back from the seller that his daughter is reconsidering the sale.

Problem is (as we know)--if you can't do the work yourself, it is hard to dig in to an older car like this and pay shop rates--she'd be better of getting a Toyota...

Not holding my breath--but thanks for the thoughts.

1999 na 2.4l V70 beater--donated to Habitat in running condition

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5 mt
United States of America
93SCMax

Post by 93SCMax » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm

A 2001 V70 T5 with 100K for $1k...sounds like a deal, but the devil is in the detail. Is it from the original owner and are service receipts available? What major work has the OP done?
Sounds like you are familiar with V70's. If you are handy with a wrench and don't mind working on an almost 20 year old car, I'd say go for it. The T5 is fun to drive.

I'd question whether a new cat or a PVC overhaul is needed (based on mileage). AT was problematic, although I only have problem free experience with a manual. Check codes and receipts, then decide if you are up to the challenge.

Good luck.
Last edited by 93SCMax on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 pm

^^Above^^
And also remember the old automotive warning, "Never buy someone's old muscle car".

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Post by E Showell » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:59 pm

If you do get it and the CAT does need replacement, make sure you hang on to the original. It is worth some money at a scrapper since it contains precious metals.. I recall getting about $70 for mine. Beats throwing it away and getting zero.

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

xtwister
Year and Model: 2001 Volvo V70 T5
Canada
xtwister

Post by xtwister » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 pm

I recently acquired a 2001 v70 t5 back in March with 100k miles. The price was right.. $0. Didnt need the car since I have another and got it because the previous owner knew I had Volvo's before. So i took it on more a project car / car to haul stuff.
The car had a major issue with the trans... that's why it was free. Also I believe it sat for awhile.

Anyways. I put maybe $600 in parts and fluids and I love this car.
I believe so far I replaced. rear shocks, outer tie rods ends. sway bar end links. Motor mounts. Trans fluid. Transtune. Timing belt. B4 cap. Battery and some other repair parts that I cant remember.

Altho the car isnt perfect it drives straight and is quick. Trans works perfect now.

I also did do tires and android auto but not including that in the $600

So if your do get it that car and it is the cat... you can get an aftermarket high flow cat and resonator for a couple hundred. Not as good as original cat but cheaper. You'll also due for timing belt.. If you do it yourself ... it will be around 100 for belt and tensioners. Your suspension will most likely be due at 100k miles which will be pricey in parts if you get it all replaced.
You should also go through the car with a fine tooth comb for other problems since the previous owner probably isnt disclosing all the minors issues. I'd offer probably $500 if passes most of the other issues like brakes, electronics and glove test etc

I do have to say i really like my v70 t5 and find myself driving it more than my newer car with more hp.

Good luck on your possible purchase.
These users thanked the author xtwister for the post:
matthew1