IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

V70 Gas Gunk, and wires IN THE TANK.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

grovechef
Year and Model: 2001 V70, T.2.4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
grovechef

V70 Gas Gunk, and wires IN THE TANK.

Post by grovechef » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 pm

are1.) What is that gunk and how could it possibly have gotten there?
2.) How come electrical wires are bathing in gas?
Thank you,
You guys and gals are good.

grovechef
Year and Model: 2001 V70, T.2.4
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
grovechef

Re: V70 Gas Gunk, and wires IN THE TANK.

Post by grovechef » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I am sorry.
Somehow the whole preceding narrative went to another planet. I will try again tomorrow.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:45 am

Pumps and wires have been in gas tanks for about 35 years now - its common practice. Gas is explosive over a surprisingly narrow range of conditions, Hollywood movies excepted

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

kranz
Year and Model: '98 V70 NA stick
United States of America
kranz

Post by kranz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Something that was a surprise to me is that gasoline is a poor electrical conductor. So bare wires can be submerged quite happily without fear of shorting something. Gasoline vapor and an electrical spark is a different story. The phrase "hilarious consequences" comes to mind.

Les is more.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Interesting explanations. Always keep in mind that gasoline is extremely volatile (much more than diesel) and vapors are extremely inflammable. Makes me remember of a Honda owner several years ago, the Honda gas tanks were prone to rust, he removed it, emptied it, then went ahead trying to mig weld a patch to it :shock: :shock: :shock: He lived to tell us how the tank went flying

Anyhow, about the gunk inside the tank, not many ways, I assume the tank was already opened - maybe to remove the pump or the float, and some rodeo guy did the whole job ?

To clean and take gasoline smell away, Simple Green is not bad

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:42 pm

abscate wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:45 am
Gas is explosive over a surprisingly narrow range of conditions, Hollywood movies excepted

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

kranz
Year and Model: '98 V70 NA stick
United States of America
kranz

Post by kranz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:51 am

oragex wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:15 pm
Makes me remember of a Honda owner several years ago, the Honda gas tanks were prone to rust, he removed it, emptied it, then went ahead trying to mig weld a patch to it :shock: :shock: :shock: He lived to tell us how the tank went flying
Back in my youth I once did a stint as a factory worker. During this time one of my co-workers told me about a welder on a rather seedy side of town that allegedly repaired leaking fuel tanks. He said the guy would fill the gas tank to the top with gasoline leaving no air pocket for gasoline vapor to form. Then he went at it with his welding rig. Supposedly it was a sight to behold, with a dramatic display of smoke & flame but no pyrotechnics. Even if true, it still would have been an extremely dangerous undertaking. I never knew if this guy was telling me the truth as his stories were prone to embellishment. Given my inexperience of youth I suspected my co-workers frequently felt compelled to test my level of gullibility.

Les is more.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:08 am

"gunk" is not very precise. dirt/sand? gummy residue on tank? cottage cheese looking stuff floating in tank? debris on the pickup sock?

Years ago myself and a couple of co-workers had to satisfy our curiosity and took a removed in-tank pump that had gasoline still inside and attached a 10 foot long twin lead to give it power and ground and powered it up and let it sit on the pavement away from everything. We waited and waited for the big bang. After it ran for at least 10 minutes, the last 5 of that with it squealing and jumping from lack of lube (the gasoline it is filled with normally) it finally jumped about 6-8 feet like a weak bottle rocket with a little bit of fire. The brushes for the motor run in the cavity the fuel runs through and we knew it would explode quickly outside the tank. Nope.

I have worked on a few cars where the wires in tank shorted to each other and nothing happened other than the car surging and jumping until the wires made enough contact the blow the fuse. Inside the fuel tank it is too rich to combust easily or even at all. After all these years of those tens ((hundreds?) of millions of vehicles with electric pumps in the fuel tank we have never had cars blow up. The car fires some models have been afflicted with were leaking outside tank, usually in engine bay.