IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

intermittent right front vibration

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
azureblue

intermittent right front vibration

Post by azureblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 am

I hate problems that come and go, but I have one that I believe is in the right front:
It is a vibration and a thrumming noise that seems to come from the right front drive shaft. I have new tires on the front, and they wheels were balanced on installation - at least I paid for it. It sounds a bit like a bearing going, but it doesn't happen all the time, and I can't figure out what would make it happen. I have found that it will sometimes happen from a dead start, and will not stop until the car has been stopped for a while, like longer than a stop light cycle. There is no clicking at full lock. And the car will go for days with a very faint thrumming sound - like a bearing going or a tire out of balance just a little.

My first thought is the right drive shaft, or something that goes along with it. But I am not prone to just ripping in and replacing until i know what the problem is.

Finally if I have to replace the right front axle, is the brand name cordone version, OK to use?

Much thanks
2001 V70 T5, 180K. My seventh Volvo.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: intermittent right front vibration

Post by oragex » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:50 am

We can always test by hand most parts, before replacing them. Even if visually the rubber boots are not cracked, there can be more or less play in the CV joints which can cause steering vibration. You also have a carrier bearing on the right axle, this is quite long lasting but again, who knows if the axle was already replaced with an inexpensive one. May test it while on the car www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQkFPYjh5E

How many miles ? Wheel bearings are pretty robust on these, but a previous owner may have already replaced one and used a cheap part. The way to test them - before replacement, is to remove everything - brake disc and drive shaft and turn the bearing by hand (no need to remove it from the wheel hub)

May also look at the right lower engine mount, near the crank pulley, these do go bad.

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:19 pm

hitting 190K. Just getting broken in :-) I drove it for a couple of hours on the highway and noticed the vibration got a little worse the longer I drove and a little worse uphill or under acceleration. I'm beginning to wonder if i just need to have the wheel balance redone.

So you think the halfshaft is not the culprit?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 pm

It might well be, at 190k that's about the life span on many parts (except engine and transmission). But it's good to very all parts before going to replace them. Also look at the control arms, especially the small bushing, with the wheel at full turn you'll see if there's any cracks to it (Lemforder would be a good replacement for this one)

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:53 pm

could be that, too. Time to lift the car and shake some stuff.... Thanks

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:14 am

If the shaking increases with added throttle load that’s an indication of a bad CV joint.

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:23 pm

I didn't have time to lift the car today but while it was on the ground, I reached in there and twisted, pulled and shook the Axle, and there was no play and no noises. Maybe the wheel should be off the ground?

Hopefully tomorrow I can pull the pan and check everything, including steering. I am beginning to think the CV joint is at the point of going bad.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:08 pm

The problem with jacking the car up to check for play in the CV joints is that when the wheel is hanging down the CV joints are now cocked at a different angle than when the car has weight on wheels like when driving it. Now if you can figure out a way to safely lift the wheel off the ground from underneath the lower control arm.......

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:30 am

It’s hard to feel both bad CVs and wheel bearings ( sealed hub type like Volvo) by manual inspection

By the time you can feel it, they are really loud and toast, in my experience.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:22 am

I finally got a chance to lift the left front wheel off the ground. Life intrudes sometimes. There is definitely rotational play which produces a clicking sound. Hard to tell if it is the CV or the wheel bearing. Grabbing the tire and shaking it from side to side gave a small metallic clicking sound from the driver's side of the car, maybe an 1/8" of play but no sound from the right axle or wheel bearing. There is no vertical play. Strut bushings are solid and there is no play in the strut itself. There is no CV noise at full lock right or left.

I made a video of both tests.

As I said previously, I shook the right axle and couldn't find any play or create a noise.
Ideas?