Strut Assembly

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

537playing
Year and Model: 2005 S60

Strut Assembly

Post by 537playing »

Which brand would you recommend or stay away from?
I purchased a Sachs set two years ago but the ride is still a bumpy and hard.
Now I search on Amazon and new companies are selling their own brand for a real cheap price. Are these any good?

Thanks

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base

Post by Georgeandkira »

Generally speaking, the "quick strut" is an all-around compromise. The springs are never of the same quality of the original and while springs do occasionally break, it isn't that often.

How long ago did you install the Sachs struts? These were complete units with springs and all, yes?

Also, the dangers regarding use of a spring compressor are exaggerated. Just keep the compressor's jaws even. DO NOT run an impact wrench on one side and allow the spring to bow out.

One thing you can do is order the bearing mounts and have them on hand. Return them if not needed.
My bearing mounts were in unbelievably good condition. People have posted pictures of them horribly rusted.

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5

Post by MoVolvos »

537playing wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:44 pm Which brand would you recommend or stay away from?
I purchased a Sachs set two years ago but the ride is still a bumpy and hard.
Now I search on Amazon and new companies are selling their own brand for a real cheap price. Are these any good?

Thanks
The Gabriel Quick Strut (fronts) were very comfortable in the 98 S70 T5 I use to own. Had it on the car for two years or so before getting rid of the car. The rear shocks were also good at absorbing bumps in the road. If you are looking for a comfortable ride I recommend Gabriel's.

Last edited by MoVolvos on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blessings,

BKM

2003 S80 T6
2008 C30 T5

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

If OP is talking about Sachs quick struts, those are low quality components. May try the Super Touring but if you want a decent ride, rather buy genuine struts online https://www.tascaparts.com/search?searc ... 2002+strut

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Plan A Quick struts ...second most .expensive, but quick to put in.

Plan B Replacing struts...get exactly what you want, but need spring compressor and fortitude to deal with it. Cheapest.

Plan C repair shop....get what you want but labor makes this most expensive

Plan D....take struts off, bring your parts to shop for one hour swap...$100 labor? Good option for those not wanting to deal with springs compressors

In northeast, I have spring compressor available for those in reach
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

SVO LOU
Year and Model: 01 V70 XC, 06 V70

Post by SVO LOU »

abscate wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:54 am Plan A Quick struts ...second most .expensive, but quick to put in.

Plan B Replacing struts...get exactly what you want, but need spring compressor and fortitude to deal with it. Cheapest.

Plan C repair shop....get what you want but labor makes this most expensive

Plan D....take struts off, bring your parts to shop for one hour swap...$100 labor? Good option for those not wanting to deal with springs compressors

In northeast, I have spring compressor available for those in reach
That is very cool of you, If I still lived in Ithaca that would be a great resource.

537playing
Year and Model: 2005 S60

Post by 537playing »

I’m still searching for a decent quick strut. I have a spring compressor but why use it on my old quick strut- is that spring any good.
Should I buy a set of Volvo springs? Buy new struts and new mounts, etc.
Any suggestions?

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base

Post by Georgeandkira »

Plus you didn't ask if the quick strut you bought is even "disassemblable".
Given their universally touted cheapness and the fact that NOBODY has ever posted about disassembling one, you might conclude they found a way to make the hardware "single use". Everything about 'em says cheap. And remember, improved driving feel for a year isn't the goal.

The trouble with this whole thing is that the danger of using spring compressors is overblown. It paralyses people.
Just go even with them, Left a bit then right a bit.
Once the spring is compressed, everything just loosens. You remove the center nut and the seat and bearing plate fall away.
You move the compressed spring to the new strut and stack the seat and plate in place and run the nut back on.
All in all the spring is compressed and not contained for about 40 seconds.
You can do this.

Look at the spring. See if it's rusted / pitted. Compare whatever you have to Volvo springs. Make your decision.

My original spring seats were flawless and my mounts (the bearing plate) were in all but new condition.
As far as using the existing springs goes: I believe there was a time a while back when Volvo had a spate of broken springs. I also think Volvo must've corrected the materials problem. I have nothing but failing, old brain cells to verify this.

Do you have a second vehicle? Once one is disassembled, you can then order your parts. If speed is of the essence, just get another quick strut.

My suggestion would be to remember that we're talking about 4 parts here: strut, spring,the hard rubber insulator it sits in and the bearing plate atop.

Archer
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M

Post by Archer »

Bilstein B4 Touring shocks/struts, Lemforder/Rein spring seat, Lemforder/Corteco strut mounts, Lesjofor coil springs.

Blacklab467  
Year and Model: 2003 xc 70

Post by Blacklab467 »

I had some quick struts in my car for less than 6 months. The problems with them were many; really incorrect spring rates, ride height was at least 2 1/2 inches too high, rebound damping was incorrect, and the general appearance and hardware was cheap and didn't look like it was going to last very long. They just tend to be very Generic multi application capable parts of lesser quality. I sourced a great pair of OEM struts at the wreckers for 30 bucks each and just have to replace the spring seats one of these days.
I've learned my lesson with non-OEM parts on these cars.
2003 XC 70, 2007 Duramax LBZ.