IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo to buy Volvo?

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.

If this were to come true, what do you make of it?

Good news
100%
Bad news
No votes
Sources point to unlikely
No votes

Total votes: 7

petershen1984
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
petershen1984

Volvo to buy Volvo?

Post by petershen1984 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:16 am

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/20/ab-v ... ack-volvo/

Just a few weeks earlier, there was the BMW to buy Volvo rumor. Now, what if Volvo Trucks were to buy back the cars division they sold almost 10 years ago?
AB Volvo to buy back Volvo?

Posted Jun 20th 2007 5:05PM by John Neff
Filed under: Ford, Volvo, Renault

Just as the sale of Chrysler to Cerberus cleared a major hurdle yesterday, Ford has come to occupy the automotive soap opera stage with the sale of its PAG brands including Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar. According to Swedish news reports, the newest dark horse candidate interested in the Premiere Automotive Group is AB Volvo, the Swedish commercial truck manufacturer that sold its stake in Volvo to Ford almost ten years ago. AB Volvo is reportedly only interested in buying back Volvo, not in purchasing PAG as a whole. Analysts are crying foul, though, citing the fact there's little logic in AB Volvo buying back what it sold to Ford almost a decade ago after having worked so hard to build up its commercial truck business. What's particularly interesting is that Renault happened to acquire a little over 20% of AB Volvo in a past deal that sent the French manufacturer's truck unit to Sweden. Speculation has also recently made Renault a potential suitor for Ford's PAG brands, which means a potential alliance between AB Volvo and Renault could have some serious purchasing power.

[Source: Automotive News]

Peter Shen

1992 Volvo 960 (Silver)

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:01 pm

It would be wonderful. Nothing more to add, really.

BMW would be nearly as good. BMW has cars and branding down to a science. It's one of the best brands of anything, anywhere.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

petershen1984
Year and Model:
petershen1984

Post by petershen1984 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:58 am

Yeah... really doesn't make much of a difference... Volvo Cars is still the original entity in Sweden, it's not as if it's staffed by Ford. Mazda vs Volvo S40: same platform, but the buck stops there.

What I'm hoping for in a theoretical merger between B-V-MW (MW is for Motor Works so BVMW makes more sense than BMWolvo) is a reconsideration for rear wheel drive.. :-)

It's a matter of years before I can afford to buy a new Volvo anyway. My 960 will make do for a while now..

Peter Shen

1992 Volvo 960 (Silver)

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Interesting factoid: my black 850 T5 was owned by the President of Volvo North America Construction (or whatever the division is called). It was his company car, first or 2nd 850 off the assembly line in 1997 model year. It has every option except disc changer.

He is my dad's buddy, but he's no longer at Volvo. They worked together at John Deere's construction division (yellow tractors) for a decade or more.

My dad's S80 was this guy's next Volvo. So in other words my family bought both his Volvo company cars.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

hausmeister
Year and Model: 1995 850T5-R
Austria
hausmeister

Post by hausmeister » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:36 pm

It hink it would be good, but I can't really see this happening.
BMW would be ok i guess.. would only fear that the would change the design to much.
Whatever.... they can't take my s70, that's for sure! :P

s70 '98 2L na manual Image || 850 T5-R '95 auto Image

blink
blink

2006 vovlo s40

Post by blink » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:34 pm

personally, it would be a great idea... two heads are better than one... so both would be an asset for each other...