IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2000 S80 Windows, and mirrors not working from drivers door?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
afera
Year and Model: 2000 S 80 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
afera

2000 S80 Windows, and mirrors not working from drivers door?

Post by afera » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:51 am

I have a 2000 S80. Recently the control module in the drivers door that controls the 4 windows, power locks, power mirrors, and child safety function stopped working.

All of he fuses appear to be good, and the relays (that I can find) appear to be good as well. All of the windows work independently at their respective door panel switches, but not from the drivers door. I've swapped out the whole module with a known good unit, no change. I've also checked voltage at the module which was just under 12VDC Roughly (11.7VDC), as well as the wiring harness underneath the door panel. I also tried disconnecting the negative cable for the battery, placing the ignition switch in position II, waiting a few minutes and reconnecting the battery, no change.

Is there a separate relay for this module that I missed? And is there something else I should be looking for?

Crito
Crito

Re: 2000 S80 Windows, and mirrors not working from drivers door?

Post by Crito » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Here's an excerpt (fair use) wiring diagram from Haynes for the mirrors. It's for UK 5 cylinder S80 but only difference is passenger fuse box is on driver's side in USA. You'll have to buy book for central locking and other diagrams.
Attachments
haynes4263.jpg
Haynes 4263
haynes4263.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 4913 times

afera
afera

Post by afera » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 am

Thanks for the diagram, but it seems to be something related specifically to the module in the driver's door

Crito
Crito

Post by Crito » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:15 am

You said you swapped it out with a known good one, so that would seem to eliminate that possibility. Unless, of course, you're not really sure it was good or it wasn't from the same year S80 and you're not sure they were compatible... or something like that.

I replaced my DDM with a new one and no programming was required.
Attachments
eeuro2.jpg
eeuro2.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 4905 times

afera
afera

Post by afera » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:01 am

I'm not sure the one I swapped it with was the same year, but it was at least close. I never really thought about the question of compatibility. The module worked fine in the other car, but nothing in mine. I was thinking there was another relay just for that module somewhere?

Crito
Crito

Post by Crito » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:51 am

There are central locking relays for each door, two in trunk and two in front, but not for the DDM itself. Its main function is controlling the mirrors. Diagram above shows several fuses though... looks like #'s 27, 35 and 36 in the driver's side fusebox.

Crito
Crito

Post by Crito » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:46 pm

I can't find the picture I took, but I disassembled my old DDM after putting in the new one. The upper half with the buttons clips onto the lower half with the computer chips in it. The two halves are connected by a ribbon cable. If you have power at the bottom (plug) of the module but not at the top, then it's very likely that ribbon cable is the problem.

EDIT: Found pics
Attachments
s80buttons_small.jpg
s80buttons_small.jpg (66.94 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
s80button_dis.jpg
s80button_dis.jpg (131.43 KiB) Viewed 4899 times

afera
afera

Post by afera » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:34 am

I did take the module apart when this all happened and the ribbon cable appeared to have a good connection. I didn't check power at the switch, but then if it had power there, it would (Should) work.

I'm still having a hard time with the compatibility issue. We are talking about window switches in a simple electrical system, not something more complex where firmware or software versions would differ. The contact is either open or closed. If it is truly the module itself, why would the known good unit not have worked?

Crito
Crito

Post by Crito » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 am

I wish it had been a simple switch, then it wouldn't have cost me $350 to replace. And though programming at the stealership isn't required, you can't train the module without those crooks, so the driver's side window won't know the full-up position. A small sacrifice to avoid another $150 IMHO.

ZRimaZ
Year and Model: S80 D5252T MY2001
ZRimaZ

Post by ZRimaZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:36 am

Hi!

I had the same issue with my S80 2.5TDI MY2001 - mirrors, door locks and noise (likely central lock working) in passanger side door.

The problem was really DDM/PDM - I replaced both with used ones. Note: I was lucky finding DDM/PDM with the same SW number as my was, so I do not need to go to the dealer for SW loading.

The problem (as I cleared with one guy from Russia) is with Motorolla's processor - one day it stopped to work as it has to. The guy from Russia told me that he fixed the problem by replacing the processor with the new one, but it was not so easy, because to read the program from processor memory he had to heat it additionaly (processor malfunction, which caused DDM not to work in a right way).

Have a nice day,

ZRimaZ
President of Lithuanian Volvo Owners Club
http://www.manovolvoklubas.lt