IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Yet another 2001 V70 Transmission Question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Cudrefin
Year and Model: V70 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Cudrefin

Yet another 2001 V70 Transmission Question

Post by Cudrefin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 am

Reading through the various threads in this forum regarding the fragility of the automatic transmissions on 2001 V70s (and I guess S80 etc.) I decided to take some preventative action on my 128,000 mile V70 as the transmission hadn't been touched in the 6 years I've owned the car. I had no particular issues with the auto box other than the stop neutral function still being active, the box tending to hold on to lower gears under hard acceleration and an occasional tendency for the engine revs to rise (up to 1500 or so) under braking as if the engine wants to fight against the brakes.

Avoiding the main dealers (as you do when you don't trust them) I took my V70 to my local independant Volvo garage. They flushed the transmission removing some fairly unpleasant brown fluid and replacing it with genuine Volvo stuff. Having mentioned software updates to them they said that when they connected the car to VIDA it reckoned that there were no software updates available/required for my car. The mechanic (probably having looked at Volvo forums) did identify a potential TCM update (P/N 30677036) and a stop/neutral software update to disable that function (P/N 30646691). The mechaninc said that as VIDA didn't consider these software updates to be applicable to my car that it was possible that the car would reject the software updates but that I would still need to pay for them as Volvo would charge them.

Can anyone advise if I'm likely to be wasting my money (£53) on trying to get these software updates applied.

Thanks.

jda2000
Year and Model: 04 V70 2.5T 01 V70T5
jda2000

Re: Yet another 2001 V70 Transmission Question

Post by jda2000 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 am

it is that stop neutral feature that came with the 01's and 02's, along with the "lifetime fluid" moniker that led to the high failure rate of these trannies.

So indeed, have the stop neutral feature removed.

Cudrefin
Cudrefin

Post by Cudrefin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Indeed it is the 'killer' stop neutral.

I wanted to know if anyone knows if the TCM and stop/neutral software updates I've listed will be accepted by my car if they are not listed on VIDA as being applicable to my car. I'm quite happy to pay the money if there's a good chance that these updates will work.

jda2000
jda2000

Post by jda2000 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:27 pm

there has been several TCM software updates over the years. The TCM will take a latest one that the one currently on the car, but not an older one, even if VIDA doesn't show it applying to your car..

Go for the update, is money well spent. Tell the shop to clear all the adaptives on the TCM at the same time.

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:28 pm

It will/can only take the latest software which includes stop neutral removal.
It's amazing that your tranny actually functions at all!
Get rid of it NOW

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

Cudrefin
Cudrefin

Post by Cudrefin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

There is however a bit of a problem with the software update for the stop/neutral. I phoned the garage today to book the car in for the updates. They called me back to say that the TCM update has been ordered but when they tried to order the stop/neutral software update (P/N 30646691) it came up as being blocked (sounds like they might order software through VIDA as the guy said the 'blocked' message came up on the screen). The guy at the garage reckons that the update has been blocked by Volvo (Sweden) but he has absolutely no idea why.

So, is this software update blocked for all VIDA users or does Volvo restrict the availability of certain software to main dealers. Is there an alternative part number? Does anyone out there know why this update has been blocked? When ordering the software does the garage need to provide details of the car (VIN, etc.) and if so is the part number only blocked for certain vehicles?

Soooo many questions. This could get interesting.

jda2000
jda2000

Post by jda2000 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:13 pm

don't ask for the stop neutral update. don't pay for 2 updates.

Just ask for the latest tranny software update, this will turn off the stop neutral feature, BUT don't tell that to the indie shop.

Cudrefin
Cudrefin

Post by Cudrefin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Hmmmm. The indie shop reckons that VIDA doesn't show any tranny software updates as being needed for my car. They did suggest that I could try the TCM update and the stop/neutral update (I assume the stop/neutral function would not be affected by the TCM update) but they wouldn't guarantee success because VIDA didn't recognise them as updates applicable to my car.

I must admit I don't understand how the individual bits of software relate to each other so I don't have a clear picture of what I should be asking for. I don't know what versions of the relevant bits of software the car currently has (but I could ask the garage) but as VIDA is not identifying any updates as being required I'm a bit in the dark over all of this. I have assumed that both the TCM and stop/neutral updates will work on my car. If there is a general tranny software update that will include the TCM fix and the stop/neutral fix then does anyone know the part number and why doesn't VIDA recommend it as an update?

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:09 pm

jda2000 wrote:it is that stop neutral feature that came with the 01's and 02's, along with the "lifetime fluid" moniker that led to the high failure rate of these trannies.

So indeed, have the stop neutral feature removed.
Yes Indeed, have the stop neutral artifact removed...

Once again, against my better judgement, I have a statement to make about the mis-information floating around about the AW55-50 SN transmission as installled in the XC70...It is not a "fragile" box...It is mechanically IDENTICAL to the transmission used in most other Volvo models, as well as Nissan, Saab, GM, (Chevy, Buick, Caddy) Saturn, Renault, and Opel...If the XC's transmission is "crappy" as has been inferred here, then so are all those others...But we know they are not...

The difference was in the software and if that is corrected it has the same chance to survive as any other box...There are thousands of XC's out there that have had no problems and the owner didn't even know there was an issue...A lot of failures are caused by poor two-foot driving habits causing a "slam shift"...

There is another item of mis-information drifting around...I don't know where it came from, but it is the one about "life-time" fluid...No where in the owner's manual is that stated...It is recommended to check the fluid at 7.5 K, and then every 15 K after that and "Inspect, correct or replace if neccessary"...That leaves it up to the user to use his common sense, since he might be doing trailer hauling, etc...

There had been a complaint about the shift pattern used...It has to be remembered that the XC is not only a family street car, it is intended for light off-road and trailer hauling as well...It's shift pattern HAS to be different from a street sedan...

Jerry, proud XC owner

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Cudrefin wrote:Hmmmm. The indie shop reckons that VIDA doesn't show any tranny software updates as being needed for my car. They did suggest that I could try the TCM update and the stop/neutral update (I assume the stop/neutral function would not be affected by the TCM update) but they wouldn't guarantee success because VIDA didn't recognise them as updates applicable to my car.

I must admit I don't understand how the individual bits of software relate to each other so I don't have a clear picture of what I should be asking for. I don't know what versions of the relevant bits of software the car currently has (but I could ask the garage) but as VIDA is not identifying any updates as being required I'm a bit in the dark over all of this. I have assumed that both the TCM and stop/neutral updates will work on my car. If there is a general tranny software update that will include the TCM fix and the stop/neutral fix then does anyone know the part number and why doesn't VIDA recommend it as an update?
Have you considered anonymously calling your local Volvo stealer and ask about having the stop-neutral feature removed and see what they say?...