IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Can't get my girls engine running anymore!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Do you like it when your girl FIRES UP at night or in the morning?

In the AM
100%
In the PM
No votes

Total votes: 1

bluenote27
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
bluenote27

Can't get my girls engine running anymore!

Post by bluenote27 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Here it goes:

I just bought a 2.1L 1984 240. She's got a little rust but I'm not trying to use her as a lady killer or anything. The price was great but I still don't have a lot of money to spend on a mechanics professional troubleshooting unless it is 100% required.

I've had her for a week so far. I've done the regular maintenance stuff like oil changing, fluid top up, engine cleaning, and new plugs. At first she would start right away but now she's getting more and more bitchy when I try to fire her up. It doesn't seem to be a "when cold... or when hot" thing. I know she

M Jarve
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
M Jarve

Post by M Jarve » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 am

The first thing I would check is if the fuel filters are reasonably clean (there are two of them - one in-tank, and one in-line), then check the fuel pumps (again, one in-tank, another in-line).

Because it seems rather intermittent, I would tend to suspect corroded terminals somewhere too, or a bad fuel pump re-lay.

I should note that this is all from personal experience with a 1985 740GLE, and the 240 may be fundamentally different enough that I am out of my reckoning.

/Mike

1991 940 Turbo

bluenote27
Year and Model:
bluenote27

Thanks for the help Mike!

Post by bluenote27 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:17 pm

I think you're on the right track. I've been thinking about it more and more and fuel seems like it could be the correct problem. I might change up the alternator just for good mesure when I get dirty dealing with the possible fuel problem.

Have you ever worked on the "in tank" fuel filters/pumps before? Do they reqire a high level of mechanical skill or can I just follow a manual and deal with it over the weekend?

Thanks again to anyone who wishes to post,

-bluenote

M Jarve
Year and Model:
M Jarve

Post by M Jarve » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:18 pm

The first time I changed the in-tank pump, I took the American approach of removing the tank, et al, - a 5 hour ordeal to remove and reinstall - only to find a convenient access hatch in the trunk. Obviously, I had no manual.

With the right tools and all the parts at hand, I would now be able to change out the in-tank pump and filter in less than an hour. I would consider my automotive skills at about the "weekend mechanic" level, or just enough to be dangerous.

The biggest hindrance will be rust, if you live near an ocean or in the northern climes. Spray down the bolts liberally with WD40, 5.56, or PB Blaster in preparation.

/Mike

1991 940 Turbo

Kmaniac in California USA
Year and Model:
Kmaniac in California USA

Post by Kmaniac in California USA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Your problem sounds similar to the problem I had with my 1986 740 GLE. You can read about it in earlier postings from August through September 2004.

I took the in-tank pump out of my tank myself. Be sure the fuel level is below 1/2. In the back of the trunk, you will find an access panel which, when removed, gives you access to the in-tank pick up and sender unit assembly. Disconnect the power and ground wires in the trunk, remove the fuel line hoses, unscrew the retaining ring and pull the assembly out of the tank.

The in-tank pump is small, about 1-inch diameter and 3 to 4 inches long. Inspect the filter sock on the pick up side of the pump. If this is damaged in any way, with holes, I would suggest replacing the filter sock, the in-tank pump and the main pump. The filter sock is the only filtering device in place to protect both pumps. The main fuel filter is downstream of both pumps. Any dirt that passes through holes in the sock will damage both pumps.

Replacement of the in-tank pump took me four hours. It took one hour to disassemble, replace the pump and reinstall the assembly in the tank. It took me another three hours of struggling, trying to get the rubber filler hose back on the tank. Whatever you do, don't remove the filler hose from the tank unless you really need to.

I have one suggestion for you. The main fuel pump is under the car, below the driver seat. The next time the car fails to start, tap on the main pump body with a blunt object, like a rock, a few times. Should the car start right away, your main pump is on the way out and should be replaced.

Should you attempt to replace the main fuel pump yourself, be sure to remove the fuel line hoses from the sender unit on the tank first, before you disconnect the fuel line from the main fuel pump. If you don't, gasoline will siphon out of the tank uncontrolably. This is a safety measure.

Good luck with your 240

Chris the "K MANIAC"

1986 740 GLE

(5) 1964 Chrysler 300-K's

bluenote27
Year and Model:
bluenote27

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

Post by bluenote27 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the great advice. Now I just wish it was the weekend so I could start on this project. Damn work and school always gets in the way of fun!!!

I will try to keep everyone updated on how things go.

-bluenote