My ex-V70 R, RIP

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
Flag: United States of America

My ex-V70 R, RIP

Postby matthew1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh, You Mean "Reverse Intercooler Plumbing"?
Sadly, no, I'm not talking a RIP kit. Three weeks ago my ex was in my ex at a light, and the car behind her hit the back of the Volvo V70 R. She had our 2.5-year-old in the car, but luckily they both were fine. I always felt good about my ex driving a P2 Volvo.

Details
She had her foot off the brake during the impact, ready to move up. The intersection light was out, so there was a good deal of confusion. The impact wasn't terribly great: no airbags in the V70 deployed, but the R was pushed into the car in front. The radiator was crushed, however, and the car was removed from the scene on a flatbed.

The insurance agent "totalled" the car, and my ex got $11.2k for it, which is exactly $2k less than what we paid for it 26 months before. She bought a new 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI FWD manual transmission(!) (2010 review by my fav car magazine) two days ago, and says it has as much or more (usable) power than the R. It's the old Jetta body, internals. VW declined to make a wagon in the new body style. Black on black, not too many options. She's getting around 52 highway MPG :shock:.

Subtly Dramatic Image

I don't know if this dramatic image I made is warranted... perhaps the car's newfound status can mean it'll still live on roads as a salvage titled car(?).

Takeaways
Now middle-aged P2 Volvos can get deemed a "total" by insurance companies without airbag deployment. It used to be that the simple deployment would send the cars to the wrecking yard, not it's not even that. Who knows, maybe this particular V70 had frame damage without SRS deployment, but I'm skeptical. Correct me if I'm wrong, Jimmy, JDS60R, or anyone closer to technical or insurance industry knowledge.

Two thousand (roughly) spent on maintenance + two thousand depreciation / 26 months = $153.85 per month ownership, not including fuel, insurance, tags. But it was due for many big-ticket items: timing belt, tires, expensive Monroe 4C shocks. Good timing.
Please buy from MVS sponsors. It keeps this site on the web.
Like this spam-free, organized forum? Thank a moderator.
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace
2004 V70 R [gone]

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60

Re: My ex-V70 R, RIP

Postby JDS60R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Matt,
Sorry to hear about the loss of an R.

From the insurance side of things

The airbags were never a concern legally. Its a financial decision.

It should be a comparison between the amount to fix the car and the total loss value less the expected salvage return.

If it costs $6000 to fix vs The total loss value of $6000 less a salvage return of $1000 when sold its an easy decision.
So $6000 to fix vs $6000 less $1000 salvage value( $1000) $6000 payment on their part vs $5000

The insurance contracts all explain and validate the use of this policy in the physical damage section. Usually the paragraph begins with "We will pay the lesser of " and then lists cost of repair or cost to replace etc.

State laws always trump an insurance contract. For instance, in some states you only need to have 70% of the value on the estimate in a flood loss and the car is a total.

That being said - some companies have different guidelines including, water damage, having to fully cut a car between the front and rear suspension etc.
Streetlight Insurance Brokers See what the market has to offer you !!!
Car, Home, Boat & Motorcycle Insurance in Tennessee
"Now its your turn to start saving"
Free VIDA Volvo code readings at my Mount Juliet, TN location

matthew1
Site Admin

Postby matthew1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks JD. I know it's a simple dollar calculation, and nothing else enters into it, certainly not automotive nostalgia :-).
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace
2004 V70 R [gone]

jblackburn
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5

Postby jblackburn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear about the R, and glad to hear everyone's OK. EXCELLENT choice on a replacement vehicle. The TDI engine is fantastic, especially in manual form - and that's better MPG than many Cruze Eco drivers :!:

My GF's dad's 1997 Honda was totalled the other day for what didn't look to be a very bad accident, but it's all about the value of the car as JD said. Plus it needed a LOT of work, so the timing was probably good on that one too.
'98 S70 T5
2012 Chevy Cruze LT 6MT

A learning experience is one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

mercuic: Long live the tractor motor!

matthew1
Site Admin

Postby matthew1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I admit I'm jealous. A quick, nimble, manual trans. wagon that gets over 50 MPG highway? Oh Volvo, why not you?
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

2004 V70 R [gone]

SweedSpeed
Year and Model: s60T 2001

Postby SweedSpeed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 am

Sorry to hear that man. And glad the fam is OK. Thank God they were in a Volvo!!

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Postby jimmy57 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 am

AAARRGGH!
I'm dreaming of a V70R.

The repair cost is what totals it. If the car is booked at 11,500 then about 8,000 would total it or a bit less.
"frame damage" is hard to quantify on a unibody car. The main frame rails likely aren't damaged. The pieces in the bumper areas front and back can yield and deform as well as the beams and then add the cost of the absorbing structure used now and you may have 4,000 in bumpers before you get to hood, fender, and the expensive tailgate. Paint could easily got 2,000. I can see a front and rear minor crumple going 8K in a hurry.
Yes, all that "soft" structure that absorbs crash energy can do its job and no SRS stuff deploys except seatbelts. I would imagine an inspection might yield a pair of $450 each tensioning belts needed.
Was the car an auto or a manual?

matthew1
Site Admin

Postby matthew1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:18 am

Auto. It was absolutely a great car. No question about it.

The grass being greener and all... I will say I wished it was a manual more than once.
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

2004 V70 R [gone]

Return to “Events, Car Talk, General Discussion & MVS Forum”