Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

2005 S60 Daytime Running Lights Working?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

whistlebird
Year and Model: S60 2005

2005 S60 Daytime Running Lights Working?

Post by whistlebird »

I am a new owner and driver of an S60 2.5T FWD that I bought a month ago that I am enjoying immensely but there is quirk in the DRL that I need clarification or help.

When the lighting control is set a 0, and I turn on the ignition, the headlights come on along with the tail lights. The led for the Parking Lights is always lit.

When I turn the knob to the 12 o' clock position, the headlights turn on along with the tail lights at the same intensity as the 0 position. I asked my Volvo dealer from where I bought the car, and the service advisor told me that this is normal. I called other service departments at Volvo dealers, and they all told me the same, this is normal.

I have had America and Japanese cars, and the DRL all worked the same. When the system is activated, and the ignition is turned on, the low beam of the headlights come on at a brightness lower than usual. No tail lights are on. In some, there was a sensor that activated the lights when darkness appeared. Only when I manually turned on the headlights, did the tail lights come on as well.

That being said is there some design quirk in the S60 concerning DRL? The owners manual is not very clear or specific. I also noticed that the brightness of the headlights is the same in either dial position.

Can anyone clarify whether this is normal or do I have a short somewhere, or is it something that I am not doing correctly with the dial? If there is a problem, can someone tell me how to fix it? Thanks.

JRL
Year and Model: Several

Post by JRL »

Volvos (until 2014) have no real DRLs, (you're car is normal).
All the standard setting does is have ALL the lights on, all the time in position "0" (9:00 on the switch).
The only difference for some stupid reason is the high beams do no work.

You can ask the dealer to turn them off. The light switch will then be "normal". At 9:00 everything is off. At 12:00 all lights will work normally and this way you won't be blowing bulbs all the time.
If you want the lights on just leave the switch at 12:00 all the time.
No difference from what you have now except the high beams will function!
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: jrl1194@aol.com

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

JRL explanation is spot on.
Volvo opted to do it their way due to assure safer vehicle operation. You will regularly see people driving cars with DRL on where they have the dim headlights and no tail lights on. SO many cars these days have the dash illumination lit 100% of the time and the driver thinks lights are on since dash is lit up.
Volvo's full lighting DRL system doesn't have that issue. It does make bulbs expire in a period of time you likely haven't seen before on vehicles you had before.

whistlebird
Year and Model: S60 2005

Post by whistlebird »

Thanks for the clarification. That being said, would you have the dealer, who would probably charge me $100 or more to turn it off via software, or would you leave DRL on, and just replace the bulbs. The service advisor told me rear are easy to replace, headlights are a different story. Now I am thinking, what about the dashboard illumination bulbs.

My concern is how often am I going to be changing bulbs every month, and how expensive they are. Moreover, how long do they last? Can I replace some myself without going to the dealer?

What would you do?

JRL
Year and Model: Several

Post by JRL »

No software, just a VIDA adjustment
If your dealer is honest and reasonable they should do it for nothing if you bring it there for a full service and get your free "software for life" package
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: jrl1194@aol.com