IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

POLL: cost benefit analysis on your Volvo

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
akwon
Year and Model: 850 GLT 5dr, 1996
Canada
akwon

POLL: cost benefit analysis on your Volvo

Post by akwon » Mon May 11, 2015 9:07 am

At what cost of repairs would you consider walking away from your Volvo?

I have a feeling the level will be pretty high with the people on this forum but I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Two years ago I bought a 96 855 GLT for $500 from a young family who inherited the car from their parents. It has somewhere between 250k - 300k km on it (odometer broke at 219xxx km, not sure when exactly. Maybe somewhere around 2010?). I've put on at least 50k km in the two years since owning it.

I did the PCV right after I bought it and a few small repairs since then. I just replaced the control arms, tie rods, and sway bar links, so I've put a fair amount of money into the car - more than what I paid for it a few times over. But now I'm looking at having to replace the tires, some brake work, and CV axle maintenance. Right on the heels of the control arms, etc repairs. I'm committed to keeping the ol' girl running for as long as I can but it sure is stinging a little right now. My intention is to let rust eat up the car before anything mechanical puts it to rest though.

1996 850 GLT 5dr, 219xxx km and a broken odometer
1st car, 1st Volvo
plan to drive this thing into the ground

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos
United States of America
Ozark Lee

Re: POLL: cost benefit analysis on your Volvo

Post by Ozark Lee » Tue May 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Logically the cost at which you walk away is the cost at which you could replace it for less. Other factors of course come in to play that are more emotional. I tend to get attached to cars, at least some of them, and that can lead you to do things that aren't really rational from an economic sense.

The other factor is the "devil you know" vs the unknown with a replacement.

Out of curiosity, do you wrench the car yourself or do you pay a mechanic? The items you listed as having tackled shouldn't really have cost as much as you alluded to unless you are paying labor. If you are paying labor that car will eat you alive.

...Lee

'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe

akwon
Year and Model: 850 GLT 5dr, 1996
Canada
akwon

Post by akwon » Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 pm

I've done most of the repairs myself; partly because I can't afford the labour and partly because I enjoy working on the car (sorry to any mechanics on here: nothing personal, I'm just that type of guy that would rather do the work themselves).

Ozark: I snagged the ol' girl for $400! So any semi-major repair has pretty much cost as much the car. I recently took it in for a brake inspection, knowing I'd probably have to get new pads. I was told I needed new rotors too. I also had the garage pull and re-grease the CV axles because of my mishap trying to replace the control arms and tie rods (I separated the universal joint on the passenger side). So the bill came to over $900. I might have attempted the repairs myself but I didn't have the time.

My rationale is even if I bought another Volvo for $1000, I'd still have to put in the same repairs and work so I may as well suck it up on the "devil I know".

1996 850 GLT 5dr, 219xxx km and a broken odometer
1st car, 1st Volvo
plan to drive this thing into the ground

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos
United States of America
Ozark Lee

Post by Ozark Lee » Wed May 20, 2015 10:07 pm

You will do fine. For us shade tree mechanics the 850s are actually relatively easy to work on and the web groups, this one in particular, are incredibly helpful. The only dumb question around here is the one that doesn't get asked. Between all of us I think we have encountered just about everything that can go wrong with these cars and chances are we have pictures detailing how to fix it.

...Lee

'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe

E Showell
Year and Model: V70 '98 FWD NA 5spd
United States of America
E Showell

Post by E Showell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am

Benefit -- It's probably kept me alive in a crash. Cost -- well, given the former, I don't track the latter too closely. I drive crowded interstates daily with lots of questionable driving technique on display (I'd like to think not by me, but that's a matter of opinion). I can't have enough crumple zones and airbags surrounding me.

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (soon to be for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected)
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am

akwon, this is a subject I faced back in March of 2016 at 109 thousand miles. Here my Volvo went in for the timing belt and she ended up needing $5K worth of work and her monetary value was likely under $4K. My husband smartly let me decide if it was time for a new car. So I returned to the lot and discovered the C70 was out of production and every model I liked came only AWD and with that horrible auto start. So in my mind no 2016 Volvo could compare to my 2004 S80 T6. Really Volvo had been forcing the AWD on every powerful S80 starting in 2007. That is why I held on to my 04 so long. Had the V8 S80 come FWD my 04 would have been long traded and the V8 would hav been traded for the newer 3.0 T6 had it been offered as FWD. I had a XC in 1998 so that experience has poisoned me against AWD period! Living in Florida there is no need for AWD ever anyway.

Also my children grew up in my car. I can still see them in the back seat in my mind. Waiting in the school line to pick them up gave me a serene environment to unwind for a few. So as OzarkLee mentioned I have a emotional attachment to my S80. Also it is so powerful and quick, but yet so quiet and refined. It is in my opinion Volvo's pinnacle model.

Now to answer your question, any expense required will be spent until someone is prying the keys out of my lifeless hand!!! Since 2016 I have easily spent $30K in my dealership service department. Most of that has been elective. Such as the entire front suspension is replaced from the rack to the springs. The usual 100K P2 gremlins with control arms, links, and what not simply were worn. So the third visit with bad front end parts I requested every part not new be replaced good or not. One other big expense was the rear main went last year and I elected to replace the transmission flywheel and any old part removed be replaced new. Why put a old part back is my feeling. I simply don't care what it costs to keep her perfect!

Finely the 2019 models the awful autostart can be shut off permanently! That has been one of my biggest dislikes. I absolutely love the 2016 and up XC90. Now for 2019 no autostart I was ready to order one after driving that 2019 XC90 service loaner, BUT Volvo of course screwed the pooch once again!!!! If I downgraded to a T5 FWD I cant get the Inscription model decked out as I want. FWD T5 only comes in the Momentum or the R?? Why the R?? So no Napa leather or those gorgeous 22 inch optional wheels or even the $3,200 stereo upgrade to that awesome premium sound..... I would have to settle for less all around so my S80 is still the car for me no matter what it costs. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:21 pm

I've got a spreadsheet with all fuelings and expenses. Cost per mile is low even though I've spent $1k or so a year on repairs since there's no depreciation involved. And now that many of the standard repairs are done it's likely to be a few cheap years if nothing unforseen happens. I've got nothing apart from oil and filter changes left that I want to do to it. Suspension, brakes, PCV and timing belts are all taken care of.

I'll likely switch cars because I want something different, not because of cost. Or if it becomes unreliable.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm

June wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am
2004 S80 T6...S80 is still the car for me no matter what it costs.
A 6-cylinder engine can have a longer life, if maintained, and if designed well. Where engines can fail is when older radiators and fan clutches are not replaced. Extra engine heat will cause head gasket issues,

Penny wise, and pound foolish are common reasons why older vehicles end up in salvage yards, along with heavy pedal actions

I buy used vehicles, and spend upwards to $1k in parts to make them roadway fit. Radiator, timing chain/belt sets, water pumps, wheel bearings, shocks, front end parts, muffler parts, hoses, thermostat, ECM temp sensor, spark plugs, etc., etc., are replaced.

Vehicle property taxes can take a sizable bite on newer vehicles.

I do like some of the newer features, like collision alert for deer/etc., but dollars/sense wise, fixing up used vehicles can suffice, just fine.

Considering new vehicle prices, even low dollar vehicles, used vehicles will be cheaper per mile generally....unless its a fuel burner, and lots of miles are driven. Needless to say, a decent used vehicle must be found without engine/transmission issues.

Fuel burners can be cheap transportation, if not many miles are driven annually.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:03 am

Based on 10,000 miles per year Mine look like

Gas 10 cpm
Parts 6 cpm
Insurance fees 3 cpm
Self labor 5 cpm

Which leaves depreciation as the big one.

If I divide purchase price less value by years driven , that works should out to about a range of
BMW T5 17 cpm
p2 10 cpm
Transporter 1 cpm
Beetle 10 cpm
S70 0 cpm

Three of the cars are used for business where I get 55 cpm back...Yeah!

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW