IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2000 V70R - AWD fuel/emissons pipe routing

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Volvo Repair Database 2000 V70R - AWD fuel/emissons pipe routing

Post by scot850 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Following a request from another regular, I will make a start to a long thread on the fuel and emission line routing from the front of the car engine bay to, and around the rear axle area and fuel tank.

As I have taken a whole load of photos, and can take more in needed, I will do this in stages, and feel free to chip in and ask for clarification.

Firstly, I will start with the fuel lines. There is an area of overlap, and there are some that may be considered to be in both camps. I am still trying to identify 2 of the fuel pipe part numbers as /I intend to replace them due to excessive rust on the metal parts of the pipes where they enter the fuel pumps.

I'm hoping blockpartie will chip in and correct me where my knowledge may be lacking or incorrectly identify the purpose of a part of the system.

On this model of vehicle (post 1998) there is only one 'fuel' line from front to back. This pipe has an awkward to reach connection to the rear of the engine block on the RH side of the engine bay. With help from the dealer, I have previously posted that this pipe disconnects using a plastic collar that needs to be pushed into the 'dome' of the metal end part of the pipe that runs to the rear to disconnect it. I used a 10mm open wrench to help give more leverage to push the collar in. I'm told the end part (which is aluminum) has a problem of corroding and may make it difficult or impossible to remove. If that is the case, you ma have to cut the pipe to the rear of the connection to the raer of the car, and then have to fish out the pipe to the injector rail to remove the last part. Another way may be to carefully use a small metal saw to slit the connector length wise to allow you to 'peel' the connector off the pipe end without removing the pipe to the injector head.
2000 V70R fuel lines 003.JPG
If you follow the silver pipe in the middle of the picture down to the bottom, you will see a narrow black pipe running L to R in the picture near the steering rack gaiter. That is the fuel pipe from the rear of the car. Some cars may have 2 pipes that connect in the same area.
2000 V70R fuel lines 002.JPG
This is looking from above the connector. Below is the RH axle carrier bearing housing. You can see the plastic push clip that needs to be pushed to the right toward the bell of the pipe to the rear of the car. I used a lot of Deep Creep and let the connector soak overnight and then used the 10 mm open wrench to push the plastic connector into the aluminum bell while gently moving the aluminum pipe end from the rear side-to-side. Eventually, the connector gave up and released.

This is what the 2 parts of the connector look like once disconnected:
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 014.JPG
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 013.JPG
I had considered disconnecting from the fuel filter end on the rear of the car, but the plastic of the fuel pipe does not make it easy to remove it from within the mess of pipes at the rear.

The emissions pipe I did remove from the rear at the charcoal filter and carefully thread it through the system once the axle was dropped.

The emissions and fuel pipes are both run from front-to-back of the car partly running in a channel ender the passenger area.
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 012.JPG
This connector has a 'barb' on the right side as viewed in the picture. I used a small flat screw-driver to carefully pope the barb loose to allow the fuel pipe to be dropped out. Remember old brittle plastic!!
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 011.JPG
The plastic shield (not shown) is removed by turning 4/5 large plastic screws and using gentle pressure to pull down on the cover.
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 009.JPG
The fuel tank has been lowered here. You can see the RH fuel pump and the pipes run through several clips up the RH side of the fuel tank.

The fuel pipe runs up to its' end at the fuel LH side of the fuel filter. I will show more details later of the routing.
Fuel and emissions line routing 2000 V70R 002.JPG
Fuel pump connection on LH side of picture of silver cylinder.
2000 V70R Fuel tank 001.JPG
The fuel line is the pipe coming in from the lower left side of the picture (Actually the RH front of the fuel tank). It is the pipe with GREEN tape around it that runs up the LH side of the tank in the picture.

I'll stop for now, and upload more later.

Neil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

scot850
Canada
scot850

Re: 2000 V70R - AWD fuel/emissons pipe routing

Post by scot850 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Fuel system pipework continued…

This is my second attempt to add this as last time MVS crashed when loading last photo!

The first point is to add what has gone before. In the last photo, the pipe from the front of the car can be seen running up between the 2 black ‘boxes’ at the rear left of the photo and is GREEN in colour. This ends up on the LH rear connection of the fuel filter.

The next pipe is the run from the RH side of the fuel filter (2 pictures ago) resting on the blue cloth and runs to the RH fuel pump. In the previous photo of the tank, it is the line marked with YELLOW tape starting above my knee on the left side of the picture and running up the RH side of the tank and up between the side of the (left as viewed) RH rear shock tower and the emissions canister (black box to the RH side of it as viewed, up to the fuel filter.

The next sequence of photos shows the routing from the fuel filter to the RH fuel pump:
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 015.JPG

RH side of fuel filter. Pipe is YELLOW tagged and runs to the right.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 016.JPG
The yellow tag on the LH side of the picture is the one seen in the previous picture. You can see the pressure check valve in the middle of the picture and pipe continues to the right to next tag. Just above the valve you can see a black clip. The emissions pipe from the front of the car runs up through this clip.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 017.JPG
The yellow tag to the top right of the picture above is the right yellow tag in the previous picture. The pipe clips into a plastic tag mounted to the back of the rusty flange. The back ‘nipple’ on the rusty flange just above the lower yellow tag, should have a clip attached to it, through which the fuel and emissions pipe from the front pass. In my case this has broken off and rotated 180 degrees and can seen in the photo below and is viewed from above looking down the back of the bolt on the top of the rusty flange.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 018.JPG
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 019.JPG
The yellow tag in the top middle of the above picture is the one in the picture previous to this. The pipe then runs down the LH (right as viewed) of the fuel filler pipe (large black pipe from the top of the picture). The pipe does not clip into the clip by the silver pressure valve. Again the emissions pipe clips in here.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 020.JPG

The remainder of the pipe runs down the RH (left as viewed) of the fuel tank to the RH fuel pump. These use a snap connector like the fuel pipe to the front. Volvo has a special tool for this to remove it. Basically the toll is a right angled piece of metal with a short section with a fork in it which fits between the fuel pump and the pipe connection and allows the snap connector to be pushed into the end of the pipe to disconnect all the pipes to both fuel pumps. The black ‘pipe’ between the 2 pipe connections to the fuel pump is in fact the power feed to the fuel pump.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 021.JPG
Fuel pump connections. Due to the major rust on the connectors I may replace this and anll the other fuel pipes connecting to the fuel pumps (3 in all). The pipe between the 2 pumps may actually be salvageable. Hopefully so as it costs $200 US for a 24” pipe!!

The pipe from the fuel filter to the fuel pump (subject to confirmation from Volvo) is Volvo part # 9186286 up to 2002 models.

The fuel pipe across the tank between pumps is Volvo # 9470746. This pipe is shown below:
It is the BLACK pipe running at the front of the fuel tank between the pumps.
Lastly, the final fuel pump connection pipe is the RED tagged pipe running from the LH front fuel pump (lower RH side as viewed above), and runs down the LH side of the tank and across the top back of the tank to the ‘silver’ fuel pressure valve at the rear RH (top LH as viewed) of the tank. There is a RED tag just to the right of the fuel regulator. The pictures below give a better view of the positioning of the pipe run:
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 024.JPG
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 025.JPG
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 026.JPG
The pipe ends at the LH RED tag as viewed above.
As yet I have not identified a part number for this pipe (if it still exists!).
Next I will show all the connections to the top of the fuel tank. Some are from the ‘header’ tank (s) and I’ll call these ‘Fuel Return Lines’
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 XC70
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold

scot850
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Next I will show all the connections to the top of the fuel tank. Some are from the ‘header’ tank (s) and I’ll call these ‘Fuel Return Lines and Emissions Pipes’.

Returning to the picture of the whole tank:
This is a little confusing again, as you are looking from the FRONT of the car towards the REAR in the above picture so LH is RH and vice versa.

There are 4 pipes we will cover in this portion. 3 connect to the top of the Fuel tank at one end and connect to the small ‘header’ tanks at their other. The 4th connects from the top of the smaller header tank to the Emissions canister.

Looking at the picture above, The 3 connections are as follows:

1) Top middle back/rear of the tank. Pipe has 3 RED tags and runs to the lower connection of the rear-most ‘ larger’ header tank. It has a ‘T’ at the ‘middle’ RED tag that runs to the Evap. Pressure sensor positioned under the rear of the Evap canister.
2) This runs from the lower LH (as viewed, but RH front of the tank top) up to the top of the larger expansion tank.
3) This runs from the top RH (as viewed, LH rear of tank) across the top of the rear of the tank and connects to the bottom of the smaller expansion tank.

Photos as follows for Pipe #1):
2000 V70R Fuel tank 003.JPG

This short pipe runs from the lower middle of the picture at the top of the tank with RED tags to the lower front corner of the larger expansion tank. The pipe has a ‘T’ by the middle RED tag under the rusty pipe clamp to the bottom of the smaller expansion tank, and loops 90 degrees to the left as viewed, up under the emissions canister and ends at the nearly hidden RED tag under the bottom of the canister.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 033.JPG
The above picture gives a better view of this.
Pipe # 2:

The pipe is the RH (as viewed) pipe of the 3 pipes above, starting at the ‘WHITE’ connector on the front RH of the tank (lower LH of picture) and runs up the RH side of the tank, and then turns at 90 degrees at the silver fuel regulator valve.
2000 V70R Fuel tank 002.JPG

The pipe takes a 2nd 90 degree turn (just above the rusty clamp and bolt) then runs up to connect to the top of the larger expansion tank.

Pipe #3:
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 027.JPG

The last of the 3 pipes that connect to the top of the fuel tank starts at the rear LH corner top of the tank as seen by the pipe with the GREEN/YELLOW tag and ends at the rubber pipe.
This pipe runs across the top of the rear of the tank and connects to the bottom of the smaller expansion tanks as shown below:
2000 V70R Fuel tank 003.JPG

The other end of the pipe finishes where the GREEN/YELLOW tag enters the bottom of the smaller expansion tank. Pipe from the LH corner in the previous photo appears from under the cover cladding as the wider of the 2 green pipes seen at the bottom middle of the photo above, looping 180 degrees to the wider black rubber connection to the smaller expansion tank lower outlet.

The final of the 4 pipes does not go to the main fuel tank, but runs from the top of both of the expansions tank’s , ‘T’s’ together and then runs in the large black plastic’ pipe to the rear middle of the Evap. canister in the photo below:
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 036.JPG
Fuel filler pipes to Evap. canister and anti-roll shut off valve:

The remaining pipes are for the EVAP. Canister rear to the fuel filler neck and roll-over cut off valve.
In the above picture the pipe is the short 180 degree pipe that runs from the rear of the Evap. Canister, to the front of the Fuel filter, and into the roll over valve .
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 041.JPG
Viewed from the back of the car, the EVAP. Canister is the large rectangular object in the top left of the photo. The pipe is the short black pipe that runs to the roll-over valve. The valve has a ‘T’ which connects to a pipe that runs to the filter mounted to near the top of the fuel filler pipe.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 085.JPG
I’ve added the above picture so you can see the 3 connections to the rear of the Evap. Canister. The pipe to the roll-over valve is still connected, the larger of the 2 connections to the left connects to the pipe that runs to the top of the 2 expansion tanks (pipe with the yellow connector. This you push down on the yellow portion to release). The smaller connection to the left of this is the connection to the pipe that runs to the front of the car to a valve at the top LH corner of the radiator. This is the pipe that runs parallel to the fuel line under the car.
2000 V70R AWD Fuel and Emissions pipe routing 044.JPG
The pipe can be seen running from the valve at the top left of the photo up the side of the fuel filler pipe and loops 180 degrees into the filter housing. Also note there is an earthing connection at the top of the fuel filler pipe. This connects to on of the cover hold down studs where all the wiring comes up through the car rear floor.

Hopefully this all helps understand what pipes go where, and also I hope a greater wisdom than mine can add a brief overview how all this complex system works and interacts.

My 50c worth is the fuel system is a closed loop system, with an expansion tank system to allow for fuel expansion when the car has a full tank. The emissions/Evap. System is a vacuum system that checks for leaks in the system by constantly sampling the system for leaks, and saving the environment!

Finally, I have all the wiring connections if anyone needs that too.

Neil.
2006 XC70
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold

div4scpro
Year and Model: 98 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
div4scpro

Post by div4scpro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:15 pm

At the beginning of your post you state post-98 design. Does this mean 98 on or were there significant changes between 98 and your 2000? I have a 98 V70XC and your pics in this post look like they may be a lifesaver. Are you planning to change the fuel pump and transfer pump? on the other side of the tank or only replace either based on visual condition and inspection?

scot850
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:48 pm

There are slight differences in the fuel and emissions pipes, position of the fuel filter and a different bracket the carbon canister and fuel filter sits on. There are also some small differences in the pipes to the filler neck. Otherwise the operation is similar.

I will be replacing all the fuel tank fuel pipes, some of the emission pipes at the rear and both fuel pumps. Pumps were running fine, but I don't want to risk doing all this work to find the 15 year old pumps fail on re-installation or shortly after.

If you need any other info, I will help where I can.

Neil.
2006 XC70
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold

Todd O
Year and Model: 1999V70R
Todd O

Post by Todd O » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Hello Neil. Your post has been a great help. Thanks. I have a 99 V70R and had a leak from the pump to the fuel filter. I removed the tank and the 2 emissions boxes and sent them to my mechanic to re pipe with the instruction "if in doubt change it out" as taking the tank out is a lot of work. My question is, in the picture marked "fuel filter RH fuel pump 4" on the top right corner of the picture is a green nipple without a hose on it. I have the same issue and am wondering if I or my mechanic have removed something that I need to find and hook back up? Any input would be helpful. Regards
Todd

scot850
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Sorry, I missed this Todd.

Sleep easy. This is a blank nipple for some reason (or it was in my car). If you look down the middle of the nipple, I think you will find it has no hole all the way through. So you should be good to go.

Neil.
2006 XC70
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold

Todd O
Year and Model: 1999V70R
Todd O

Post by Todd O » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks. I can not see down it but I will run a piece of wire in to see if it bottoms out.

scot850
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm guessing Volvo used the same saddle tank for all P80 AWD's, and I know the emissions system is different depending on age and where they were sold. I'm guessing they produced a 'one size fits all' fuel tank.

The other way to look at it is where is the pipe that would feed it? Although here are a lot of pipes in the system, they all go somewhere and if you have none left over, then it isn't used.

Neil.
2006 XC70
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold

cajunxchange
Year and Model: 1999 S70
United States of America
cajunxchange

Post by cajunxchange » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Quick question:
Were you able to reconnect the aluminum bell fairly easily?