IPD sale Volvo Parts

Oil Under Spark Plug Cover

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
ajwgator
Year and Model: V70XC AWD 1998

Oil Under Spark Plug Cover

Post by ajwgator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 pm

98 V70XC AWD Turbo here with 140K miles on it. I have been trying to solve a problem for some time now. I keep getting oil collecting on top of the engine under the spark plug cover. I cleaned all the oil out and changed the oil filler cap gasket but the oil still came back. Next I completely changed the oil vent system (vent tank, hoses, vacuum line, & cleaned the PTC valve) but the oil is still collecting. I now see where the oil is coming into the area but cannot determine how it is getting in there. Here is a picture of the area. The two white arrows are pointing to the port that the oil is comming from. It is not a pressure leak because it takes a while to fill the port up but once it does fill it will then start to run to the back. If left long enough (20k-30k miles) it the oil flow out each end of the cover (into the timing belt area and off the back of the engine to the turbo area, the two yellow arrow areas). Can anyone tell me what this port is? Is there something missing here? It looks like something should be bolted over the port. It has two bolt holes around the port, and the port opening has a machined area that would accept an o-ring to seal it off. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
volvo head1.jpg
volvo head1.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 6956 times

ecbsykes
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
United States of America

Re: Oil Under Spark Plug Cover

Post by ecbsykes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm

I think this guy is having the exact same issue:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... 88&start=0

Not sure if it was resolved or not though.

Ed Sykes
2000 V70XC - Emerald Green - 270,000 miles

ajwgator

Post by ajwgator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Thank for the link ecbsykes

Phaeton
Year and Model: 1996

Post by Phaeton » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:15 am

You probably need to do a pcv job on your car. I had the same problem with mine. Pull out your dipstick after the car is warm, see if you get smoke coming from the dipstick tube.

bigdaddylee82
Year and Model: '95 850 GLT+94 parts

Post by bigdaddylee82 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am

I just posted this in the other guys thread, but I'll be sure to get a picture for the both of you.

My new engine in my 850 GLT had that hole and an "apparatus" coming out of it. My old engine didn't have the hole or "apparatus" so I cut the tube off shortly after it comes out from under the plastic cover, and then crimped it shut. About 1500 miles later and no issues.

Here are pictures of the engine that the junk yard originally sent me before purchase. The red arrow shows the tube and apparatus that goes in that hole. If you would like I could take a picture of how mine is "plugged." I still haven't put the plastic engine cover back on, so it would be easy to see how it's plugged.

- Lee

bigdaddylee82

Post by bigdaddylee82 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:15 am

Once again, I posted the same thing in the other thread, but here it is for you too:

I went out and took some pictures. I used my mad ninja skills to swipe the bosses camera, go to the parking-lot, take pictures, upload the pictures, and replace the camera without him ever knowing 8) :lol:.

Anyway here's the pictures of what I did to my car and said hole and apparatus:

I hope this helps. The tube has a flange and O-ring on it. The O-ring seals it into the hole, and the flange bolts to the threaded hole next to it. If your car doesn't have whatever the thing on the tube is I posted in the previous pictures, then you should have no problems plugging the hole. Good luck!

- Lee
Last edited by bigdaddylee82 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajwgator

Post by ajwgator » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am

Lee, heap of thanks for your pics and post. I am taking it that your engine in the pictures is not a turbo model and thus the extra plumbing going out the back side. I will make a plug with a flange and oring to seal it off like that. I am sure that will solve the problem as you have said. I wonder why Volvo hasn't ever addressed this issue?

Jay

Oh and to the other post that said I needed to do a PVC job, my enigne is a turbo model and thus does not have a PVC valve. In place of it Volvo uses a vent system and PTC valve. I did replace all of that already as stated in original post.

ajwgator

Post by ajwgator » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:33 am

Lee, one more thing just came to mind. If your original engine did not have this hole and plumbing and it was a turbo model, then that means that the engine in my Volvo is not the original engine that came in the car. This is getting pretty interesting if I have to say so myself! Thanks again...

bigdaddylee82

Post by bigdaddylee82 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:42 am

ajwgator wrote:Lee, one more thing just came to mind. If your original engine did not have this hole and plumbing and it was a turbo model, then that means that the engine in my Volvo is not the original engine that came in the car. This is getting pretty interesting if I have to say so myself! Thanks again...

My car is a '95 GLT so No Turbo. I know I looked into and figured out what the "apparatus" was at one point in time but my memory ain't what it used to be. I killed my original engine, swapped in a '94 non turbo engine, and the '94 is the one with the "hole/tube" in the head. The '95 model was not so equipped, so I just needed to plug the hole. I cut the tube off shortly after it exits the head, and then used a BFH and vice to crimp it closed. No leaks or problems so far.

- Lee

nadz
Year and Model: 850, 1995 N/A

Post by nadz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 am

I have the same problem with my 1995 850, there is oil all inside under the spark plug cover.