Car: V70 FWD NA 1998
- I jacked the car up on left side and got about 1 foot clearance under rear, wheels on
- I had previously drained tank to about 1 liter of fuel left.
- Removed 5 M6 screws and removed Al plate over pump
- Disconnect all electrical connectors going through plate and feed through
- Levered off two slide fittings, then pop off two fuel lines.
- (Note – if you are sensitive to fuel smell, do this last.)
- Open fuel hatch – dig out the large (150mm radius) snap ring in the rubber grommet and free the grommet from the fill neck
- Position jack under tank (not needed if empty)
- Remove two M8 (14mm hex_ bolts from rear of each strap, tank drops
- Release clip ‘organizer holding fuel and vapor lines
- Remove clamp of vapor line heading forward and remove line (pliers work here, VW style clamp)
- Pull tank and fill pipe back as unit.
- Elapsed time 30 minutes not including draining. I drained by applying 12 Volts to the pump (red/black wires) T2 connector and running front fuel line into a gas can
Of course, you want to empty the fuel tank before doing this.
I was using a battery charger to deliver about 6 amps to the pump, and I filled a 5 gallon gas can in about 10 minutes, or 2 liters per minute flow.https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=525585#p525585
Keep in mind the availability of new fuel tanks: