IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

DIY: Timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, and flame trap

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

yeagermeister
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
yeagermeister

Volvo Repair Database DIY: Timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, and flame trap

Post by yeagermeister » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:51 pm

timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, and flame trap all replaced with new parts (special thanks to Rich Kelley at Bay 13/Volvospeed, Boe Kalinoski, and eEuroparts.com)...

i made the 3/4" serp. belt tensioner adapter out of 3/4" steel tube from Lowe's. i cut it about 1" long, and used a 3/4" wrench to relieve the tension. unfortunately, the shortest length Lowe's had was 36" for $8.50, so if anyone needs a 1" piece of steel tubing (i have 35 of them left), please send $2 via paypal to... ;)

3 hours later, it's time for a nap... 90 degrees, sunny and humid here in VA today...

the only thing that's a real PITA is getting the timing belt off of the crankshaft pulley and getting the new one back on, as there's a tight squeeze. also, keeping tension on the crankshaft pulley while positioning the belt on the intake cam is a must (belt kept slipping off of the crankshaft pulley when tensioned, and took me about 6 tries before i was comfortable with the tension on it.) if there's ANY slack in the right side of the belt between the crankshaft and intake cam pulley, start over! edited to add: i'd read that somebody had done the t-belt without removing the spark plugs. i got tricked into thinking i'd screwed up when i hand-cranked the engine. once compression kicked in i felt some resistance, and stopped there, i thought maybe i'd run into the valve/piston interference. after removing the plugs it turned over with no resistance at all. removing the plugs, as simple as it is, is a good idea.

sticker on the cover noted 71k/1999, and it's now 2005 and i'm at 151k. although there's no record of the t-belt being changed between then and now, it doesn't look like it's 6 years old or has 80k on it- but it was a Volvo belt, and i imagine a dealer would have put a sticker on if it'd been replaced at another interval.

anyway- my conscience will feel much better now. whew!

(the other) sean

'94 855 5-speed

'02 lifted Nissan XTERRA

rothgar
Year and Model:
rothgar

Timing Belt Waltz`

Post by rothgar » Thu May 03, 2007 5:00 pm

The trick with the timing belt is hidden in Haynes.
You need to raise the engine to get some working room then feed it backward over that obnoxious stud that is directly underneath and behind the Crankshaft pulley. Then give the belt a pull from above the engine.

My challenge was I couldn't arrange enough room for the horse collar bushing with everything installed as per the instructions. I am trusting that it'll work without it -- of course it worked for who know how long with a frozen tensioner so all is good.

greasefingerss
Year and Model: 850 wagon 1994
Has thanked: 0
greasefingerss

Re: accomplishments today

Post by greasefingerss » Thu May 03, 2007 6:54 pm

yeagermeister wrote: the only thing that's a real PITA is getting the timing belt off of the crankshaft pulley and getting the new one back on
That is such a PITA. I spent about 30 minutes wrestling with that clearance.

Current Vehicles

1994 Volvo wagon(855) na 161,000 miles with AT

2003 Toyota Camry

1994 Jeep GC 202,000 miles

2003 Toy 4Runner