IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Newer CCM damper motors are interesting ('06 S60)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Newer CCM damper motors are interesting ('06 S60)

Post by mrbrian200 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:32 am

Unlike damper motor modules on older Volvos which used internal position sensors, on the newer ones the CCM monitors ventilation damper motor function by what looks like a hall effect device that merely monitors that the DC motor is turning (when the damper flaps reach the physical limit, the CCM would sense that the motor stopped turning to know it's fully open or closed). All the CCM damper motors on the '06 share a dedicated LIN communication circuit back to the CCM. The other two wires to each DMM are reversing DC controlled by the CCM.

The Ventilation damper on mine never worked right since I bought it with partial function but didn't fully open when vent was selected (reduced airflow) and a DTC showing in VIDA for it. Recalibrating the CCM had no effect.

Being the rip apart and reverse engineer type that I am, I got around to pulling it yesterday. The top cover can be removed by breaking the little plastic nubs that hold it down and prying it up. Resoldered 9 through board connections. It also appears that if the top cover isn't very tightly secured (mine wasn't it was a little loose), the first stepper gear coming off the DC motor doesn't stay down where it needs to and loses it's grip to the DC motor.

Anyways--all fixed now! Either resoldering the board connections or securing the cover down nice and tight fixed it up. With three or four led's lit on the fan control it blows as strong out of the vents as it did before with the fan running at full speed. At full speed it really blasts air out now, along with the rear passenger vents that didn't really output much previously. When I select floor only, the vents now shut completely off instead of just reducing somewhat.

Weather forecast for today: heat index 102F. Yesterday was cooler/comfortable so it seemed prudent to look at it. With reduced airflow it was taking longer than it should for the AC to cool the cabin down. Sorry I didn't think to take pics. I wasn't expecting to be successful on this one.

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Newer CCM damper motors are interesting ('06 S60)

Post by mrbrian200 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

I almost forgot the best part:

Cost to fix...$0.00!!!

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Now that the airflow from the vents is good I'm noticing cooling performance of the AC isn't consistent from one day to the next. Sometimes it blows frigid cold air, other days: not so cold and the system struggles to keep pace with the hot sun on a clear day.
It dawned/I now remember also to have seen a DTC for the LH temperature damper motor once or twice. We'll see if I can bat 2/2 here.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

99-04 have stepper motors with no motion sensing. 2005 and later are LIN commanded and have a microprocessor but still are stepper motors. In either case the motors periodically self calibrate but a form of forced calibration occurs by going full hot, pause for a min, then full cold to let the motors learn end points again if they are off. For the other motors the various vent position are selected manually and the end points will be set if not as stored last calibration. if the clibrationdrifts regularly then the motor needs to be replaced as it either has stripped gears or excessive wear that allows air to move door/motor when that should be the case.

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I internal gears showed no sign of wear on either one of them. Grip was tight.
Here's the one I took apart tonight (LH temperature DDM)
I think it's the dudes in the red circle. On both of them solder looked evil on that middle connection. Also went over the solder joints to the connector (yellow circle), I'm pretty sure those were electrically fine, but looked sort of marginal.
DMM.JPG
DMM.JPG (156.18 KiB) Viewed 613 times
The Vent/floor damper is definitely fixed. It never worked properly and would spit back a DTC when I tried to run the CCM calibration in VIDA.
All looks good now--no errors.

While I had the VIDA connected I looked at the AC pressure as reported by the ECU. Looks low to me--
Ambient temp 74, fan on high, engine running at 1500 RPM I was seeing 1100kpa, drop to 980 at idle.
Evaporator temp would be around 14C (57F), drop to 8-9C at 1500rpm.
I'm thinking at that ambient it should be around 1300-1400kpa at 1500rpm.
Confirmed radiator fan kicked on with the AC.
On the test drive it felt good and icy. But it should stay cooler at idle, correct?
MY06 105K miles on the odo.