IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Advice on catalytic converter replacement?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Shovelhead
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Shovelhead

OEM

Post by Shovelhead » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:49 am

I can speak from experience both being in the auto biz for over thirty two years and working my last job for 8 years for a catalytic convertor manufacture actually the originator of the catalytic convertor aka Engelstupid
that in most cases your alwaysbetter off using OEM emissions parts rather then after market. How ever I know first hand how cost prohibitive things like factory cats can be that is why I put after market cats on my Chevy truck.
They will function perfectly fine however tow factors are almost always preveliant with after market is poor fitment and shorter part life. If your like me and drive your vehicles in to the ground only to make a stop at the salvage yard to buy more parts to keep them running then if your going to replace the factory cat with a cheaper aftermarket one plan on replacing it some time down the road. What was the milage on your cat when you had to change it? I will bet that you won't get even close to that on an aftermarket unit. Unfortuently some times we can't afford the luxury of OEM parts so thats usually what influances my decision.

Father of the future Nascar Nextel Championship driver.