Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2000 v70 Blower Motor/Resistor Question

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

nwhitney
Year and Model: V70XC 2000

Re: 2000 v70 Blower Motor/Resistor Question

Post by nwhitney »

Have you had the ECC codes read? A standard OBD II won't do, you need the fancy Volvo computer to read and clear these codes. Maybe instead of shooting in the dark get the codes read.
Warren561
Year and Model: 2000 S70 5sp Auto

Post by Warren561 »

geoffmorrow wrote:Okay, pulled the motor, and got a surprise - a plastic bag had gotten into the motor and was all wound around the spindle. Unfortunately, even after removing all the plastic and resetting the codes (via battery disconnect), still nothing. Going to keep after it, it's COLD here.
When the fan rotation is blocked by something (in this case a plastic bag), and power is still applied, you the current will go sky-high and the motor (in particular the windings) and/or resistor will burn out.

Check the motor itself: Get some wires (alligator clips work best). Hook the negative side of the car battery (or other 12 V source) to the fan. Hook the positive side to the fan, then touch it (briefly) to the battery's positive side. If the motor spins, chances are the motor is still good (replace the resistor). The motor is a DC brush motor. Don't worry about mixing up the polarity, if will spin either backwards or forwards.

If the motor doesn't spin, then the motor is probably bad.

Most motors die due to wear and tear (ie the brush gets worn down). In this case, the motor will be intermittent. A jolt or some kind will usually push (what remains) of the brush into place and the motor will spin for awhile, until the brushes are worn down again. Based on your description of putting the old motor back in, this sounds like the case for your old motor.

For the "new" motor that got wrapped in the plastic bag, if it doesn't spin when battery power is directly applied to it, it's most likely burnt up and needs to be replaced. Replace that first before replacing the resistor.

Hope this helps.
geoffmorrow
Year and Model:

Post by geoffmorrow »

Well here's the latest: Got a working motor and resistor in there, and changed the no. 31 fuse, and what happens, now that I have power to the motor, it comes on for about 1 second - just a quick puff - then shuts off. I even tried my spare ECC, and same thing. Since the generic scanner won't read the codes for this, I'm looking for someone who has, or has access to the Volvo scanner. Meanwhile, any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for the great suggestions so far.
BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R

Re: 2000 v70 Blower Motor/Resistror Question

Post by BEJinFbk »

dj5150 wrote:did you check the temp sensor? blow it out with compressed air? btw my blower and resistor went out together,
It's behind a small grill just to the right of the moonroof, defrost and INFO switches.
A quick shot may get the accumulated gunk of off the sensor and calm the ECC.
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)
j3sse
Year and Model: 2001 v70XC

Post by j3sse »

Since I had a similar problem (motor did not turn at all), I pulled the motor out and connected it directly to the battery... no response from it. Since the motor only has two contacts, I'm assuming I've connected it correctly and the motor is indeed dead. I just wanted to make sure others agreed before I ordered a replacement. It seems like there's very little to screw up with this test though.
Fish stick88
Year and Model: 1994 - 850 Sedan

Post by Fish stick88 »

If the blower can run off the battery why would there be a resistor, rather than a line in between the switch and power supply?
Last edited by Fish stick88 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

'94 850 Sedan - 160k miles
BEJinFbk

Post by BEJinFbk »

Fish stick88 wrote:for the record, you might be overcharging you blower, the resistor is there for a reason. probably fried the motor if it wasnt done already.. thats like pluging a lamp into a oven outlet, (aside from physically not being able to
The blower is designed to operate at full voltage. The reason there's a resistor (MCC) or power stage (ECC)
is to provide a method of reducing the blower speed, not protect the motor from "overcharging".

No disrepect, but you are seriously off base with this reply. What you suggest is simply not possible.
"Overcharging", as you put it, could only occur with a car providing far more than 12 volts.
Any load ( like a motor or lamp ) will only draw the current it requires from a power source.
And there's no reason you couldn't plug a lamp into an oven receptacle - As Long As It's a 240 vac Lamp.
j3sse
Year and Model: 2001 v70XC

Post by j3sse »

So then, am I correct in assuming that I DID do it right and at the very least, my motor is fried and needs replacement?
BEJinFbk

Post by BEJinFbk »

Sure sounds like it. If you put known good 12 volts to the motor and it didn't run, it's probably toast.
Last edited by BEJinFbk on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEJinFbk

Post by BEJinFbk »

Fish stick88 wrote:If the blower can run off the battery why would there be a resistor, rather than a line in between the switch and power supply?
Again - The reason there's a resistor (MCC) or power stage (ECC)
is to provide a method of reducing the blower speed,
not protect the motor from "overcharging".

Short answer - To provide the driver with options for fan speed.