IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New Transmission Shifting Issue

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

GEM-Massachusetts
Year and Model: 1998 v70 xc-awd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
GEM-Massachusetts

New Transmission Shifting Issue

Post by GEM-Massachusetts » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Long story regarding replacement of transmission, but I'll keep it short. I just completed replacement of the transmission in my son's 1998 V70xc. Problem: car runs and drives in reverse and 1st gear, but will not shift up to 2nd, etc. Question: Do I need to reset a computer setting to allow the transmission computer module to recognize the replaced transmission? Any help will be greatly appreciated. If other members want, I'll post a narrative with pictures to describe the transmission replacement process including info on the engine support beam that I fabricated. Thanks

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: New Transmission Shifting Issue

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 pm

No, the trans control module on 98's isn't that smart.
Odd problem, if there is a serious trans fault or blown fuse or dead or removed TCM the trans will have 3rd and 4th and reverse with harsh engagement.
I would think a gear position sensor problem telling the tcm you are in manual selected 1st would stop an upshift but you'd very likely have a blinking trans arrow on dash to tell you there is a trans fault code. Any problem plugging in the connector on top of trans when you did the trans swap?

Does the upshift arrow light up if you move gear lever down in lower gears?
Are you sure the forward gear is 1st? Does it take off with normal power forward but not shift or is it a slug taking off forward?
The ABS system provides trans control unit with speed signal on that car, is the speedometer working and is ABS lamp lit?

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos
United States of America
Ozark Lee

Post by Ozark Lee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Is the up arrow flashing? Transmission codes are covered under the P codes so have you read any codes from even an Auto Parts Store?

The more information we have the better we can guess.

...Lee

'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe

GEM-Massachusetts
GEM-Massachusetts

Post by GEM-Massachusetts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:49 am

Upon starting engine and while transmission still in park, the dash lights "ABS", "TRACS" & "Check Engine" came on. Placed trans into "D" and starting driving, ABS and TRACS lights went off. Check Engine dash light stayed on. Car seems to be taking off in 1st gear because it accelerates from stop normally. Accelerated up to about 30mph and 4K RPM. Transmission did not shift out of 1st. Stopped car. Placed trans into "L" gear. "UP ARROW" dash light came on. Accelerated in L gear, same operation as above description. UP ARROW light stayed on. Stopped car. Placed trans in "3" gear. Accelerated in 3 gear, same operation as above description. Stopped car. Placed the trans in D gear. Up ARROW light went off. Accelerated in D gear. Same operation as 1st described. Thanks for the input.

jimmy57
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:55 am

It sure seems that there is no VSS to TCM but TCM has a backup speed sensor on top of gearbox and should shift without the feed from ABS via instrument cluster.
As Ozark Lee said, get codes read at an auto chain store to see if there are any codes that may shed some light on this.

Stuck valves in valve body crosses my mind as a possible cause. Any evidence of water in the ATF?
Where did the replacement gearbox come from?

What went wrong with original gearbox? No similar problems with it?

I have a TCM for this car as I have the same car but did an engine swap to T5 engine and gutted the T5 transmission and rebuilt the original gearbox with those parts since I had to use the original trans case and final drive since FWD gearboxes do not have the drive for bevel gear nor holes tapped to bolt it up.
Last edited by jimmy57 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

GEM-Massachusetts
GEM-Massachusetts

Post by GEM-Massachusetts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 am

PS: When the UP ARROW came on, it was steady. That is, not flashing. Also, I very carefully inspected the main wiring harness and pin configuration. On the transmission, the wiring harness plug receptacle has very small numbering at each possible pin location. There are approximately 30 possible pin locations. Not every available pin location actually contains a wiring pin. There are approximately 22 actual wiring pins. The numbered pins and empty pin locations matched exactly between the original damaged trans and the "new" used trans. It is my understanding that the "new" used replacement trans came from a 99 v70xc and was in good condition. The new used replacement trans came from a respectable source. Again, thanks for the input.

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 pm

You CANNOT put a 99 trans into a 98...It will NEVER work
A 99 is controlled by a TCU in conjunction with the ECU and the entire car.
A 98 (as was said) is not that smart and is a DIFFERENT transmission!
Why in earth would you have done this without researching?
Did you ask your"respectable source" if this would work in a 98?!

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

jimmy57
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:29 pm

The differences I can determine using VIDA parts catalog for the two model year transmissions is the two external speed sensors.
The valve bodies are the same numbers, gear position sensor is the same, torque converter, etc, etc are the same.
Can you get the two sensors from old gearbox?
The sensors went from analog to digital and from one type digital to another. I think the Digital switchover was for 96 and the change between the two digital styles must have been the 98 to 99 change.
The sensors are different for the two positions but may not have a visible difference so the one on the housing inline with crankshaft is higher up and is for input speed and the other down lower on midshaft drum is a vehicle speed sensor. If they went with the old box for exchange then have them remove and label the upper and lower or if they please, front and back ones for proper re-install if they do not visible differences to distinguish them.
I am surprised the upshift lamp isn't flashing but it might given a couple of test drives or the passing of a certain road speed.

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

I suppose you forgot, 98 has sport and econ, the 99s and newer have ONE drive position.
A lot more going on in there

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

jimmy57
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:11 pm

The sport/economy feature is wholly in the TCM with the switch to give you control. The change between modes is just software mapping that decides the throttle vs. speed for selection of gear range with a modification of controlled line pressure for shift firmness. On 98 and down that was driver selectable via switch and for 99 up the TCM makes some decisions based moment to moment on what you do with throttle and needs no switch except for the W mode feature.
The vehicles with geartronic manual shiftable automatics in volvos has the WHOLE Geartronic feature in the shifter and the TCM, gearbox needs no modification.