IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
songzunhuang

Re: Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Post by songzunhuang » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks to the folks that have posted. I'm glad to hear that you can re-build a tranny for $3K. That won't break the bank. It's the horror stories about $10K repairs that freak me.

We bought our 2004 T6 with only 36K on it. The transmission had been replaced at 33K. When I first learned about this, I thought that maybe the previous owner just got unlucky and that we were getting a nice new tranny with the car. Then I started to read all those stories...

It's great to hear some positive ones. I guess people don't normally go searching on the web unless they have problems. So it's natural to find more problem stories than "everything is fine" stories. OK, here's hoping that more keep coming in.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying

RoyMacDonald
Year and Model: XC90 2003
Been thanked: 0
RoyMacDonald

Post by RoyMacDonald » Sat May 28, 2011 8:17 am

Rebuilt transmissions in the UK have the parts that are know to cause the failure replaced with redesigned parts. Some of the replacement transmissions at the service shop I use are reported to have over 200,000 miles on them now and are still OK.

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 am

Just an upate. Our XC90 now has about 57K miles on it. So far we have experienced no sign of an issue with the tranny. I regularly check the fluid level and color and take it to the dealer for all the services. We've had 21K trouble free miles in a little over a year. We are keeping an eye on the steering rack and head gasket now since it's been flagged in the last service. :(

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:26 am

RoyMacDonald wrote:Rebuilt transmissions in the UK have the parts that are know to cause the failure replaced with redesigned parts. Some of the replacement transmissions at the service shop I use are reported to have over 200,000 miles on them now and are still OK.
Can you specify what parts were causing the failure? I'd be very curious and other folks would benefit from this as well.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com

12 VOLVOS
Year and Model: v70 tdi 1999
12 VOLVOS

Post by 12 VOLVOS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Hello from Madrid, Spain, here gasoline is very expensive,therefore most of us buy diesel instead, my xc 90 is 2005 make year model, and it is standar trasmission, I bought standar because I was afraid of having problem wit automatic transmission. The car is kind of slow ar Firts and secend gears, after that, it runs pretty good, I have 185.000 km and I'm currently having problems with an oil leaking. Thank God, the leak is located at the oil cooler so I don't have to spend a lot of money opening the engine apart to get it fixed. I´m taking the car to a Volvo shop next week, I hope theu can put new o ring gasket to repair the leaking. I love volvos. Yet I have a V70 diesel tdi 140 hp wirh 320.000 km. and still runs great I wish the XC90 was just half as good my 1999 V70

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Spent the Xmas holidays in the Palm Desert with the family. We thought it would be a change from cold winters during Xmas morning. We took the venerable family XC90 for the trip. We've now taken the car all over creation in the past 2 years (about 28K miles) in all kinds of challenging conditions and the transmission has been performing like a champ. I hope it doesn't die, but it if did I could say that we've gotten more than expected. The car has crossed the continent to the Calderas of Yellowstone and then the Grand Tetons. It's been on several ski trips where we got to use the 4 wheel drive in the snow. Now, we've taken it to the arid desert and climbed thorough several large elevations changes.

The only annoying thing is the dealers constant warnings of things that "may" break or need updating and also the small "dead" spot in the steering. When I am tracking straight in the highway, I can turn the steering wheel about 1" back and forth without a response. All my other cars, including the Volvo wagon, seem to have very connected and responsive steering.

Here's hoping that the family funster keeps on performing as designed.
I'm getting 13-15mpg in the city and 19-20.4 mpg on long trips.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com

mspcarguy
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 T6
mspcarguy

Post by mspcarguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 pm

I can drive 400-500 miles in a day and not feel like I went 10 rounds boxing when I am done. I finally replaced a transmission at 179,000 miles. I don't care what you drive that is good. It cost me $3,200 with updates to servos and clutch packs. I fault Volvo for the tranny issues because of the service suggestion that they print in the manual. Volvo says to service when the light comes on but by then it is too late. This is a GM 4T65E transmission using standard Dexron III fluid that should be serviced every 20,000 miles. I believe that most Volvo owners would follow that recomendation if that is what was published. I have 10,000 miles on my rebuilt tranny now and it is better than ever and I will change the fluid when it gets to 20k. I have had no issues with the turbos or any other accessories under the hood. I rebuilt the front suspension at 175,000 miles but I have had to replace upper strut mounts a couple of times before. I do all of my maintenance and repairs myself accept for oil changes (the shop I use resets the light for me) and computer diagnostics because failures are so rare it does not make sense for me to buy a good code reader. My vehicle is AWD and it has been in the Texas heat all of its life until this fall when I moved to Minneapolis. The winter has been mild so far but when I have needed it the AWD works flawlessly. This is Volvo number 5 for me and the best of them all (850 Turbo, '98 S70, '01 S80, '03 S60, '05 XC90T6 AWD). I even have the factory original 2005 battery in my XC90. I do expect to have to replace it soon though as I know I am pushing my luck.

water-baby
Year and Model: XC90 2007
water-baby

Post by water-baby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:22 am

I have a 2007 XC90 3.2. My transmission, front struts and axle were replaced at 99,800, with just 200 miles left on the extended warrantee. (whew). I now have 106,000 miles. Since the day I picked up the car from the Volvo dealership where the work was done, the cruise control stops working every day when a "engine assist service required" flashes on and off at least twice daily. When this light goes off the "brake assist service required" light goes on. My brakes, also installed at the dealership, squeek every time I touch the pedal, but the service tech tells me to "live with it" because I still have 60% left. Do I love the car? Yes, but only when my foot isn't on the brake.

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm

water-baby wrote: My brakes, also installed at the dealership, squeek every time I touch the pedal, but the service tech tells me to "live with it" because I still have 60% left. Do I love the car? Yes, but only when my foot isn't on the brake.
If you want to fix that squeak, get the rotors and Akebono pads from IPDUSA. Mine are super silent. It's all I'll buy now. I have this combination on my two Volvos.

The dealer will want to charge you something like $750 for an axle. If you do it yourself, it'll be about $250 in parts and you can do it yourself or with the help of a friend in about 2 hours.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com

cbotd
Year and Model: XC90 2005
cbotd

Post by cbotd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am

New Volvo owner. I bought a 2005 Ruby Red XC90, AWD, three rows, w/ the 2.5l T5 one year ago. It had 82k miles on it but was a one owner car with a long service record from a reputable dealer in the area. I fell in love with the car for many of the same reason already listed. The sound of the doors when they close with a "thud", the extreme comfort of the seats, the quiet and composed ride, the timeless design of the exterior, the lovely interior console and layout, safety (of course), three rows and it gets 22+mpg on the highway.

I chose the 2.5 to avoid the transmission issues and to eek out a few more mpgs with the extra gear. It has been a reliable car that I have found myself piling the miles on. I normally put about 9k-10k a year on my cars, but have loaded nearly 15k miles on the Volvo because it is so much better than getting a rental vehicle for work trips. In the course of the year I have;

replaced rear brakes - at home, myself
replaced the spark plugs - at home, myself
installed a Denon iPod interface - at home, myself
replaced the timing belt and water pump - local mechanic
front wheel bearing - mechanic while on a trip
replaced the MAF sensor - at home, myself
replaced the fuel pressure sensor - local mechanic
cleaned the throttle body - dealer
adjusted the turbo waste gate actuator - at home, myself
normal oil and air filter changes

So, some of this was maintenance and some were repairs. All in all I think XC90 is still worth maintaining and keeping. I'm looking to get many more miles out of it, hopefully trouble free miles!

I have enjoyed the brand for it's luxury feel and perception of quality and safety. I think Volvo drivers fit into many circles and I've never felt out of place pulling up in my XC90. It sends a different vibe than my 2009 "write me a ticket red" Audi A4 that it replaced.