IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Fuel Injectors - Improve Performance & Economy FF#39

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Volvo Repair Database Fuel Injectors - Improve Performance & Economy FF#39

Post by matthew1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Missed last week? No Turbo? No Problem! Part 3 Take the Fast Friday Poll.

They're Often Forgotten
Fuel injectors don’t typically generate a lot of interest unless it’s time to upgrade them. Since we’re wrapping up the non-turbo build, and since we have a brand new injection test machine here at ARD, I thought I’d cover injector servicing this week!

Fuel injectors typically either work or don’t and there’s not much in between. However they can become clogged or partially obstructed. Each fuel injector has its own small filter in the top entry port called the ‘filter basket’ and these can easily become blocked or obstructed with particulate such that injection flow is compromised. Balanced injectors are important to both good fuel economy and performance as an uneven fuel distribution to the motor can make for rough idle and inconsistent fueling to each cylinder.

These injector filters commonly collect up bits of dirt and debris from the fuel tank as well as fuel filter media. Fuel filter media is more typical for cars that have not had the fuel filter replaced in a timely fashion and in turn the filter media has started to come apart and head downstream along with the fuel. For some reason fuel filters seem to be commonly over looked as a maintenance item.

Servicing injectors includes replacing o’rings, filter baskets, and retainers. Additionally ultrasonic cleaning with a proper cleaning solution helps break up any carbon buildup that can exist inside the injector from combustion gasses that can form on the injector after engine shut down. This occurs over a period of time so if you’ve got 50K plus miles on your injectors some gains in both power and economy can be had. We use Alconox as our cleaner since it is intended for use in the ultrasonic range and provides excellent breakup of hyrdrocarbon solids.

Here’s a set of injectors from the non-turbo build with 145K miles on them and as you can see these 4 units flow quite differently from one another. Typically the allowable variance is 5-10ml apart when measured at their max flow. Max flow for these injectors at 3 bar is 310ml/min. At 20 seconds of testing, not even the full minute, you can already see how much variance there is. Ultrasonic cleaning is what ultimately got these injectors back into proper flow range as the filter baskets were pretty clean and not the cause of the variance.

This should help keep the engine running smoother and with more consistent fueling that will hopeful promote some faster times as we head back to the track and finish up the non-turbo build!

Robert Lucky Arnold
ARDtuning.com

~ ~ ~
[list][*]Questions, comments, arguments and freakouts accepted and encouraged. Really. Lucky WANTS to answer your questions.
[*]If you want to remain anonymous, email me your question or comment and I will post it as "Anonymous User".
[*]It takes Lucky and me several hours combined to bring you Fast Fridays. Your questions and comments validate FF's value.
[*]I write paragraph headlines, and sometimes article headlines. Yell at me if you find these not to your taste.
[*]Same thing with italics and bolds , they're all mine.
[*]Cams and turbos and MBCs and chips and... whoo![/list]
Matt
Last edited by matthew1 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added attribution.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

boksalg
Year and Model: XC90 2.5T '05
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
boksalg

Re: Fuel Injectors - Improve Performance & Economy FF#39

Post by boksalg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Love your site Matthew, people here are really nice and their collective knowledge outstanding!
What ultrasonic cleaner would you recommend?
I've seen smaller ones for jewlery but you're probably using a more industrial one?

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Boksaig, thanks for the nice words. I forgot to add the bit at the end of this week's Fast Friday -- the attribution -- that tells that Lucky of ARD wrote this. :oops:

I'll correct that now.

So to stop writing this novel and answer your question, you'll have to ask Lucky, and in fact you just did. He monitors these Fast Friday posts, so he should be along soon.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

CountryBum-kin
Year and Model: S60 2002
CountryBum-kin

Post by CountryBum-kin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Excellent post!
With the ever rising cost of fuel maximizing the engine's economy is a no brainer.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 am

I just wonder where people send their injectors for cleaning?

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

ARD-Lucky
Year and Model: 1994
ARD-Lucky

Post by ARD-Lucky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 am

We'll be offering injector cleaning/service shortly so keep an eye on our Facebook page and website for the latest.

As for a recommended cleaner, the harbor freight unit is ~$80 and does a pretty decent job for a basic unit :)

-Lucky

P.S. Thanks to Matt for all the work on making this forum great!

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Thank you, Lucky. Your Fast Fridays are awesome. "Performance" and good-running cars are -><- this close in reality. Here, let me Venn diagram it...

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:00 pm

If you google "harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner", you will see people cleaning the injectors using the Ultrasonic Cleaner ($30 from Harbor Freight).

Not sure if it works. Anyone with experience doing Ultrasonic Cleaner , please chime in.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

longhenrychan
Year and Model: 1993 Volvo 850 N/A
longhenrychan

Post by longhenrychan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm

I have difficulty finding the filter baskets for 850 injectors. Any sites would sell them?