IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New Modified Transmission Flush Method with Pictures

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Volvo Repair Database New Modified Transmission Flush Method with Pictures

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Disclaimer
I am adding this- typicall cover our A$$ stuff: Neither myself, nor anyone else associated with this thread including Matt or MVS are responsible for Any Issue related to this flush. Do this at your own risk.

Important- Please Read This First (Info for P2 Cars):
I need to add this information at the very beginning of this write up so that there's no confusion. What is outlined below is for all AWD/FWD Volvo's up until the design was changed for P2 cars ('01 and later), but the method is really the same. What is different is that the newer (P2- or '01 on) Volvo's transmission fluid flows in the opposite direction. In other words, when you take the tanny-to-radiator line off, you actually let the tranny flush out of the upper hose connection on the radiator with the newer Volvo's unlike what is written below (therefore you'll have to get clear tubing that has an outside diameter of 3/4 inch that goes INTO the ATF cooler on the radiator, unlike what is said below of a 1/2 inch inside diameter hose for pre '01 70 series and 850's), which shows the hose still connected to the trannyhose itself (earlier than '01 Volvo's). If you have a newer Volvo and don't do this, you'll make a mess as fluid will come flowing out of the top of the radiator. Several people on other boards have experienced this and were quite surprised (especially since IPD's instructions were wrong too). Volvo actually recommends for the P2's to take the hose off at the tranny, plug the tranny hole with a plastic stopper, and drain from the hose still attached to the radiator (which makes sense but the tranny hole is a biatch to reach). To disconnect the upper hose on the P2 cars, grab the green clamps on each side of the black hose, push in and then pull out. To reinsert, just pinch the clamps again and push the hose in as far as it will go and then release the tabs. For good measure, pull on the hose without pushing in the tabs to make sure it's secure. It's actually much easier on these later cars than on the older ones. You can get a case of the Mobil-3309 ATF fluid (JWS-3309 fluid must be used on Aisin Warner 5 speed automatic transmissions and not Dexron III) here at a great savings: http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

dasapir originally posted with questions about the transmission flush. After posting back and forth with him he tried a modified flush that I have been wanting to do with my car. After this he sent me an email with his write-up and pictures. I thought it was really excellent and want to add this to the maitenance section. I know that there are at least 3 or maybe even 4 other methods posted, but this is to me the most thorough. Very little is changed from what Dan wrote me. It is below in its entirety.
-MIJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) The tools required are few: Along neck funnel to access and reach the dipstick and transmission filler tube, a 15/16 or 24mm box/open end (not a 1/2" drive ratchet since it will not fit between the drain plug and the rear brake fluid lines), 5-6 feet of 1/2" I.D. clear tubing (5/8"ID will be too wide), snap-ring pliers, and a 6" electric zip or cable tie for added security after replacing the transmission line clip when you are finished. In addition, a new crush washer for the ATF drain plug (same size as the oil drain plug) and a drain pan will be needed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.JPG
tools: Long-neck funnel, 24mm or 15/16" box/open end, 5-6' 1/2" ID clear plastic tubing, snap-ring pliers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drain pan
2.JPG
2.) Prepare 3 gallon milk jugs marked in 1/2 quart intervals. When flushing the delineations will simplify the process by allowing you to see exactly when to turn off the engine to stop the flow of transmission fluid. If you have an assistant watching the containers and telling when to turn off the engine it will make the job much easier. If not that is why there are 6' of clear plastic tubing. You will then be able to place the milk jug by the driver-side door and can watch when you are at 2 quart intervals. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. 10 quarts will make a good flush, though you could use 9 and be satisfied.
3.jpg
3.) Place the care on ramps and remember to place the parking brake and blocks behind the rear wheels. The engine should be warm and you should have run through all the gears so the dirt and particles in the ATF is now in suspension. A light for working under the car will also be necessary.
4.JPG
4.) Next you will need to crawl under the car and locate the ATF drain plug. It is located on the driver's-side behind the front axle. The 2 rear wheel brake-fluid lines run in front and along side. Using the 15/16" or 24mm box wrench undo the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid into the drain pan.
After the ATF fluid is finished draining replace the drain plug with a new crush washer. Since the drain plug is magnetic, you can examine it for metal particles. prior to replacing it. In any case, it should be cleaned off from sludge and/or metal partcles. Now pour the ATF fluid into one of the pre-marked plastic gallon milk jugs and measure the total amount which was drained. This should between 3-4 quarts. Mine drained 3.25 quarts

5.JPG
ATF drain plug on the driver's-side. Do not confuse with the oil pan drain plug.

Drain plug looking up with the rear wheel brake-fluid lines running past. It is these 2 lines which prevent accessing the drain plug with a 1/2 inch ratchet. The space is too tight.
6.JPG
5.) Next locate the transmission dipstick/filler-tube. It is located up front on the driver's-side behind the radiator and between the air intake tube and the covering on the throttle body. The car battery is on the outside toward the wheel. Kinda hidden from view. The transmission dipstick has a yellow handle.

ATF dipstick/ filler-tube. View looking down and toward front of car.
7.JPG
View of ATF dipstick/filler-tube looking from center toward battery side.
8.JPG
6.) Locate the top automatic transmission fluid line coming from the transmission and going to the radiator. This is located on the driver's side upper outer side of the radiator right next to the battery. In order to remove the line, it is first necessary to pry open the clip holding the line in place. For this you will need the snap-ring pliers. The tips should be placed in the two grooves seen in the picture below. Open the clip by closing the snap-ring pliers, thus spreading open the clip. Remove the clip. Next disconnect the ATF line from the radiator by pulling it straight away.

Transmission fluid line connector driver-side top of radiator. The ATF fluid goes from the transmission to the radiator through this line.
9.JPG
Showing how the snap-ring pliers fit into the transmission connector retaining clip for removal.
10.JPG
7.) At this point the 1/2" ID clear plastic tubing will need to connected to the transmission fluid line coming from the transmission. The tubing will fit snugly so there is no need for electric zip or cable ties. Do NOT connect the tubing to the nipple on the radiator. Remember, the fluid is coming from the transmission via the line to the radiator, where it will be cooled. You will be draining the ATF from this line. If you connect to the nipple on the radiator, you will have a lot of fluid running out of the line on to the floor and a big mess.

1/2" ID 5-6' clear plastic line connected to transmission fluid line coming from the transmission. It should be clear
so you will be able to see the fluid running through the line.
11.JPG
8.) Now comes the part where you will begin the flush. First you will need to replace exactly the same amount of the old ATF which was drained from the transmission pan through the drain plug with new clean transmission fluid. Refill the new ATF through the transmission dipstick/ filler-tube using the long neck funnel. If 3.5 quarts of old fluid was drained when then you will need to refill the pan with 3.5 quarts of new clean ATF. Be sure not to over-fill!

9. Next run the 1/2" ID clear plastic tube, which is connected to the transmission line, into another pre-marked plastic gallon jug. If you are lucky enough to have an assistant, as I did, to hold the jug and watch the ATF, great, otherwise place the jug near the driver-side door so you can watch it being filled when the engine and transmission are running. Place the car in park. Turn on the car and while the engine is running and with your foot on the brake run through the gears; park, drive, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Old dirty ATF will start to flow through the line into the plastic milk jug.

Run the engine until approximately 2 quarts have been pumped out or when air bubbles are visible in the hose, then turn off the engine. Now add exactly the same amount of clean new ATF to the transmission via filler tube that was pumped out from the transmission line. Again remember, do not over-fill.

Repeat this procedure for at least a total of 4 cycles (8 quarts) or until the transmission fluid being pumped out of the line becomes a clean red color, indicating that the majority of the fluid in the system has been flushed with new clean fluid (it may take up to 5 cycles). This will take anywhere from 8-10 quarts of ATF to added for replacement from the old ATF pumped from the line and another 3-4 quarts of new ATF replaced from that originally drained from the transmission pan. So, actually a total of about 12-14 quarts of new ATF will have been used.

Clear plastic line in pre-marked gallon milk jug ready to go.
12.JPG
Plastic milk jug with old dirty-brown transmission fluid.
13.JPG
10.) Disconnect the clear plastic tube from the transmission line and reconnect the line to the radiator nipple. Replace the connector clip and for peace of mind, put an electric zip or cable tie around the clip, ensuring it will not pop off. Drive the car off the ramps and on to level ground to check the transmission fluid level according to the owner's manual. If it everything was done properly, replacing exactly the same amount old fluid with new, the ATF fluid level should be correct. If, per chance, it is too low you can add in small increments. However, if there is too much ATF fluid and it is over the max line the excess will need to be removed. This will require disconnecting the line again and running the engine until about 1/2 quart is removed and again rechecking, etc., etc. That is why it is important to be careful in your measurements. Better a little less, than too much.
Congratulations on a job well done.

Reconnected transmission line with electric zip tie around connector clip.
14.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MadeInJapan on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:26 pm

Those who are following this thread or found it in looking for information on how to flush their transmission might want to also check this thread out:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/p ... php?t=8742

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Okay, did my own modified flush today on my '04 V70...everything went very smoothly. When I drained the fluid, exactly 3 quarts came out. With a case of 12 quarts I was going to fill with 3 to begin with and then flush 2 quarts a cycle, just holding back on the end with my last quart to top off with...this would leave 1 whole quart plus some. At the last flush the fluid coming out was almost a pink color so I was well satisfied that I did the tranny good. After driving it and letting it heat up fully, I topped off...it ended up using the rest of the partial quart I had held back on. Goes to show that if you measure correctly, you should put back into the transmission the exact amount that comes out. The milk jugs marked at 1quart intervals along with darker lines for the 2 quart mark did the trick. I still have an entire quart of Mobil-3309 left over for future top-off's. The only information I can add to the flush for a P2 Volvo is that you really don't need a box head wrench as there is nothing in the way at all, so you could use a regular 24mm or 15/16 inch socket and it will work fine.

Going away for a week (don't worry, I will still be able to mod. the forum where I'll be...maybe not as often though). When I get back, the S70 is getting a flush.

volvrow
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
volvrow

Post by volvrow » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Also, here is a pdf file outlining the basic procedure as described above from IPD
http://www.ipdusa.com/pdf/PI-290TrannyFlushKit.pdf

96' 850R

gilgamesh05
Year and Model:
gilgamesh05

Post by gilgamesh05 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:50 am

I am sorry for the stupid question - but I can not transform the amounts of oil in European standards. What I found out from my dealer here in Bulgaria is that there are 8 liters of oil in the transmission. What I can not understand is how many liters of oil do I need in order to perform this type of oil change? Do I need twice the capacity of the transmission or what?
Actually the same is truth for the machine type of change - is it going to take 8 liters to change it or should I buy more?
Thanks.

1998, S40 2.0 16V, 103 kw. auto

Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:24 pm

A liter is close to a quart (3.8 liters is 4 quarts or 1 gallon). You should buy at least 12 liters of transmission fluid and maybe more. Depending on how dirty the fluid is to begin with, you might want to flush more than 12 liters. The idea is to keep flushing (in 2 liter quantities- approximately how much comes out when the air bubbles start) until the fluid flushing out appears clean and almost a pink color.

Good luck!

CarVolvo
Year and Model:
CarVolvo

Post by CarVolvo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Hey MIJ .. good stuff as always.. but the last flush instructions you had... you had old undies as rags... err did you run out!! LOL :shock:

keep up the good work!

Proud Canadian Owner of: www.carvlvo.com

THE FLEET!:

93 854 GLT 20v non-turbo 435,000 KM +

94 854 20v non-turbo 215,000 KM ..new engine

87 745 B230 non-turbo 250,000 KM (newest edition Jan '07)

86 244 GL B230 non-turbo 460,000+ KM

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:45 pm

Not my pictures :shock:
But hey, I understand they were streaked anyway.
Whatever works. :idea:

gilgamesh05
Year and Model:
gilgamesh05

Post by gilgamesh05 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks a lot. I suppose if I take it to an authorized dealer and flush the transmission with a machine it would take the same amount? I decided to go with Valvoline ATF Type D, as it is the cheapest one and still a recognizable name. The other one I found here is Castrol but it

1998, S40 2.0 16V, 103 kw. auto

Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe

smatt1079
Year and Model:
smatt1079

Post by smatt1079 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:23 am

Excellent method, and is very easy, but repetitive. I have two 95 850's, one turbo and one GLT with 209 and 212 kmi respectively. I did this first on the GLT, and it was so easy I decided to do it on the Turbo the same day. I wound up flushing 20 quarts through each car. The fluid in the GLT was much cleaner than in the turbo. Once complete, both cars felt like "new", but after a few days the GLT has began to act up a bit. The transmission does not always shift quite right, sometimes a bit high and sometimes a little low. I've checked the fluid level using the method in my owners manual and it is perfect. I purchased both of these around the 200k mark but know the history. This is not the first flush, and the GLT was routinely serviced by a volvo dealer, whereas the Turbo used to go the route of the "jiffy lubes" of the world. I took some - probably poor advice and used regular valvoline dextron III rather than a synthetic, simply because there was not enough available at the store to do the flush (they had 6qts at the store). I'm wondering if now I should do the flush again with the synthetic. Does anyone know if this might help? If so, how many quarts do you think I should use to flush all of the non-synthetic out of the system? (remember the fluid is brand new)

I know that with motor oils they always say once you use synthetic never go back to regular oil. I'm wondering if the same is true for transmission fluid and perhaps the servicing volvo dealer was using synthetic.

off topic, I've been using regular oil in the Turbo, I now see from this site that thats a big no-no! I'll go to synthetic immediately, but should I do the same with the GLT?

Thanks so much for your help!

If its on the internet, it must be true!

'95 Volvo 850 TURBO - mileage: lotsa