IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Passenger Side marker lamp and what's this hose

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

litewait
Year and Model: S80 2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
litewait

Passenger Side marker lamp and what's this hose

Post by litewait » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:46 am

Not my week for me and my '05 S60. Passenger side marker light how hard could that be to replace, really?

Nice description in the owners manual:

"Side marker light
- Turn the lamp holder counterclockwise and pull it out.
- Pull out the defective bulb and insert a new one.
- Reinsert the lamp holder and turn it clockwise until it seats properly."

Yeah if your hands were the size of a 2-year old. That plastic paddle is near impossible to reach. So I moved the black hose on the washer reservoir and removed the reservoir. Slightly better access but sill can't turn the paddle to get the bulb housing out. Then I look and the rubber hose that I moved fell down below the timing belt ! Managed to get that out and it seems whatever that hose attaches to the plastic nub broke off.

Images here

http://imgur.com/a/sS5jh

Questions:

1. How do I manage to turn that paddle to get the bulb housing out?
2. What is that hose for and what does that connect to?
3. Is it critical that the hose be put back as plastic nub is broken and I have no idea what it connects to or how I can reattach it?

Thanks.

rimutakaman
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
rimutakaman

Re: Passenger Side marker lamp and what's this hose

Post by rimutakaman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:35 am

Sorry to hear about the ordeal with changing the bulb. I know on many vehicles accessing headlight bulbs can be a PITA. In regards to your questions in respective order:

1. I wish I could help you with how to reach the bulb, but I cannot say as I have never had to change this bulb as of yet. The only suggestion I have would be to see if a pair of need nose pliers might be able to reach it. Or find a mechanically inclined 2 year old.

2. Did you lose any fluid (coolant? windshield washer fluid?) when the plastic broke? I cannot say for certain, but I suspect that broken piece of plastic on the end of the hose belongs to your windshield washer reservoir. This would be simple enough to determine. Going on the assumption there is fluid in the windshield washer reservoir, using the controls inside the vehicle, does spray fluid on your windshield?

3. If the plastic did break off of your windshield washer reservoir, you could certainly drive without it in the summer, but I gather you would want to fix it before the winter months roll around.

I may be wrong about all of this, but from the pictures you posted, these are my thoughts. Let us know how it goes.

litewait
Year and Model: S80 2000
litewait

Post by litewait » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Ok, sanity restored. For anyone to get that passenger side marker (or is it parking) light out.

1. Remove the hose from the washer reservoir neck.
2. Remove the torx bolt that holds the washer reservoir neck in place.
3. Remove the washer reservoir neck (wiggle it out)
4. Feel around inside near where the plastic paddle is and remove the clip/wire harness that sits beside it.
5. Find something that allows you to twist the paddle CLOCKWISE. I used a 3/4" socket head and twisted with that.
6. Pull out the paddle a bit and replace the bulb.
7. Put the paddle back in and twist it COUNTERCLOCKWISE
8. Reattach everything else.

I figured out the hose, it is the overflow to the washer reservoir, must have broken off. Wondered why it leaked when I filled it too much last winter. Now I know. Likely won't replace the reservoir as I just have to check the washer fluid all the time and top off carefully, right?

Hope this helps someone.

rimutakaman
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
rimutakaman

Post by rimutakaman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Glad to hear you have the light fixed and that you know the issue with the hose. I know the light on my Volvo will go at some point so it's good to hear the replacement process. Thanks.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 pm

I personally decided it easier to take the bumper fascia off and pull the assembly to get to those side markers. I replaced them with street legal LEDs (Phillips):
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/ ... erior-leds ).
They are a higher (blueish) color temp some people may not like it in the yellow side marker position. Also those LEDs aren't marked for polarity that I could tell so test it before putting everything back together. Side markers/puddle/city bulbs don't trip bulb warnings on the DIM when replacing with LEDs. But you can't use LEDs for the puddle bulbs if you have HIDs (LEDs cant take the extreme heat). I have halogens I really like the LEDs in the city and puddle positions. I left the back end/headlamps/turn signal bulbs alone (not converted to LED)

On the RH side you can pull the ECU/TCU cover (2 parts upper and lower) to get a little more room for your hands. On the LH side you pull the air box.